Jump to content
Afsaneh14

Celibacy in Islam

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

like in Christianity, does celibacy have a place in Islam? is it permissible for someone to remain a virgin and stay away from all forms of sexual acts for the rest of their life, including not getting married

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Afsaneh14 said:

like in Christianity, does celibacy have a place in Islam? is it permissible for someone to remain a virgin and stay away from all forms of sexual acts for the rest of their life, including not getting married

Not allowed to remain celibate in Islam. However, I am interested to learn the cause for which you have asked such questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

Not allowed to remain celibate in Islam. However, I am interested to learn the cause for which you have asked such questions. 

Just a wild guess. Maybe her sister wants to stay forever single or something...

Edited by Zavon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is technically permissible if both husband and wife agree to it, but it is against the recommendation and there is no honour to it.

There are hadiths which speak against it.

Edited by E.L King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uthman loved to worship Allah, this reached such an extent that he decided to lead a monastic lifestyle and disengage himself from all the fleeting things of this world including conjugal relations. The prophet intervened to explain to him why that would be against the Sunna.

- Abi Abdillah عليه السلام said: The wife of Uthman b. Madh`un came to the prophet صلى الله عليه وآله and said: O messenger of Allah, Uthman b. Madh`un fasts in the day time and spends the whole night standing in worship, so the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآلهcame out whilst angry and carrying his slippers [in his hands] until he reached Uthman and found him praying. When Uthman saw that it was the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله he cut-off his prayer. He [the prophet] said to him: O Uthman, Allah the Exalted did not send me with monasticism rather he sent me with a simple and lenient Hanifiyya. I fast and pray but also interact with my wives, so whoever loves my character should follow my Sunna, and marriage is part of my Sunna.

- Sa`ib b. Abi al-Waqqas said: When the affair of Uthman b. Madh`un - who was one of those who abandoned women - occurred, the messenger of Allahصلى الله عليه وآله  sent for him and said: O Uthman, I have not been ordered to lead a monastic life, do you seek something else apart from my Sunna? He said: No, O messenger of Allah. He [the prophet] said: part of my Sunna is to pray and then sleep, I sometimes fast and at other times eat, I marry and divorce, so whoever seeks something apart from my Sunna then he is not from me. O Uthman, your wife has a right over you, and your own body has a right over you. Sa`d said: by Allah, there was a group of Muslim men who were ready and willing to castrate themselves and become celibate if the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله had allowed Uthman to continue in what he had done.

- Uthman b. Madh`un said: O messenger of Allah - I desire to to become celibate, the prophet said: wait Uthman, the celibacy of my Umma is fasting and prayers. Uthman said: I desire to lead a wandering life [like some monks], the prophet said: wait Uthman, the wandering life of my Umma is to remain in the Masjid and wait for the next Salat after the last one finishes. Uthman said: I desire not to eat meat [to become a vegetarian], the prophet said: wait Uthman, for I myself do eat meat and enjoy it, if I could have it every day I would, and if I were to ask Allah for that He would give it to me. Uthman said: O prophet of Allah, may my father and mother be sacrificed for you - I desire not to use perfume ever, the prophet said: wait Uthman, for I do use perfume and I like fragrance, and it is my Sunna and the Sunna of the prophets before me.

Read more here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A hadith from the prophet: "Whoever refrains from marriage because of fear of poverty, he has indeed thought badly of God." (Wasa'ilu 'sh-Shi'ah, vol. 14, p. 24) 

It is not sinful per se, but highly discouraged. From the times I have discussed this topic with scholars, there are cases, though, in which men and women should stay celibate (when you have some sort of problem - mental or physical - to have a relationship with another person, AND there is no solution to this problem).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dhulfikar said:

Uthman loved to worship Allah, this reached such an extent that he decided to lead a monastic lifestyle and disengage himself from all the fleeting things of this world including conjugal relations. The prophet intervened to explain to him why that would be against the Sunna.

- Abi Abdillah عليه السلام said: The wife of Uthman b. Madh`un came to the prophet صلى الله عليه وآله and said: O messenger of Allah, Uthman b. Madh`un fasts in the day time and spends the whole night standing in worship, so the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآلهcame out whilst angry and carrying his slippers [in his hands] until he reached Uthman and found him praying. When Uthman saw that it was the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله he cut-off his prayer. He [the prophet] said to him: O Uthman, Allah the Exalted did not send me with monasticism rather he sent me with a simple and lenient Hanifiyya. I fast and pray but also interact with my wives, so whoever loves my character should follow my Sunna, and marriage is part of my Sunna.

- Sa`ib b. Abi al-Waqqas said: When the affair of Uthman b. Madh`un - who was one of those who abandoned women - occurred, the messenger of Allahصلى الله عليه وآله  sent for him and said: O Uthman, I have not been ordered to lead a monastic life, do you seek something else apart from my Sunna? He said: No, O messenger of Allah. He [the prophet] said: part of my Sunna is to pray and then sleep, I sometimes fast and at other times eat, I marry and divorce, so whoever seeks something apart from my Sunna then he is not from me. O Uthman, your wife has a right over you, and your own body has a right over you. Sa`d said: by Allah, there was a group of Muslim men who were ready and willing to castrate themselves and become celibate if the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله had allowed Uthman to continue in what he had done.

- Uthman b. Madh`un said: O messenger of Allah - I desire to to become celibate, the prophet said: wait Uthman, the celibacy of my Umma is fasting and prayers. Uthman said: I desire to lead a wandering life [like some monks], the prophet said: wait Uthman, the wandering life of my Umma is to remain in the Masjid and wait for the next Salat after the last one finishes. Uthman said: I desire not to eat meat [to become a vegetarian], the prophet said: wait Uthman, for I myself do eat meat and enjoy it, if I could have it every day I would, and if I were to ask Allah for that He would give it to me. Uthman said: O prophet of Allah, may my father and mother be sacrificed for you - I desire not to use perfume ever, the prophet said: wait Uthman, for I do use perfume and I like fragrance, and it is my Sunna and the Sunna of the prophets before me.

Read more here: 

 

Usman decided this after he was married, which is stupid. Im asking if a person says they just simply will not get married ever and never have sexual relations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bakir said:

A hadith from the prophet: "Whoever refrains from marriage because of fear of poverty, he has indeed thought badly of God." (Wasa'ilu 'sh-Shi'ah, vol. 14, p. 24) 

It is not sinful per se, but highly discouraged. From the times I have discussed this topic with scholars, there are cases, though, in which men and women should stay celibate (when you have some sort of problem - mental or physical - to have a relationship with another person, AND there is no solution to this problem).

What if a person simply doesn't want to get married? Because the Quran says "there is no obligation in religion".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Afsaneh14 said:

Usman decided this after he was married, which is stupid. Im asking if a person says they just simply will not get married ever and never have sexual relations

Not haram because marriage is not wajib, but not honourable and possibly discouraged.

Getting married is mustahab on the other hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al Nikah is part of the sunnah. It is not haram not to marry but discouraged.

8 hours ago, Afsaneh14 said:

What if a person simply doesn't want to get married?

"Simply" doesn't mean there is no reason. Not willing to marry is not part of our fitrah to being with, so if we end up not willing to marry, there is a reason we should address and bring a solution to it, if there is any.

It is also normal, though, that people don't develop interest in marriage until they actually have the drive to marry, which overcome the reasons we have constructed towards the idea of not marrying until then. That's actually normal, but your idea of not marrying ever is what you should try to address now. At this point, you either do something that is discouraged in Islam (for a reason) or try to solve your problems against marriage. Here, we can't help, because the reasons behind this are unknown to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×