Jimmy Boy

Arab superiority in Sunniism

Rate this topic

Please,read the the thread in the following link very carefully and you'll see that not only Salafis but Sunnis in general declare the Arabs superior to to the non-Arabs,just as the Jews see themselves superior to the non-Jews! What's the Shia view of this issue?Do Shias agree that Arabs are better than the rest of humanity,or do they believe everyone is equal?

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?280949-Salafis-why-would-Ibn-Taymiyyah-say-this-despite-the-prophet-(SAW)-last-sermon

No Shia believes or should believe in that Arab superiority nonsense. Only thing that sets one above anyone else is their Faith and Piety.

I can’t remember the exact number right now but several blessed Mothers of our Imams (AS) were not Arab. Many were from the African continent in fact. 

Thats all the proof I need that it’s Faith and Piety which sets one above others and not Race.

The majority of both Sunnis and Salafis on that thread seem to be doing quite the opposite- stating that superiority in Allah's eyes is only on the basis of taqwa, and that the fatwa is in regards to the Arab language, nearness to the Prophet, or in error.

"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted."

(49:13)

It is not necessarily a racist belief anymore than it is racist to believe that the syed enjoys a special status in eyes of our religion.  All this doesn't necessarily contradict the fact that God says He looks at your hearts rather than your outer forms.  The question that needs to be asked is, in what way is the Arab race superior.  And why is it important to mention this in a Hadith?  

Primarily because of the Arabic language and the primordial values of the Arab culture (their conception of Hilm or the Arab virtues that (although were not practiced) but were clearly ingrained as ideal values into the very fabric of their culture.  The Arabs were a protected nation, protected from outside influences through their natural terrain.  Their language was protected and consequently their civilization was protected.  The beginning of any civilization is its language.  And the strength of the civilization depend on the strength and incorruptibility of its language.  Because embedded into the language are values, culture.  And the Arabs had a primordial culture.  Something extremely valuable because Islam was destined to use the Arab nation as the fertile ground upon which it would eventually thrive and spread throughout the world.   

The idea most of us have that the Arabs before Islam were backwards is not entirely correct.  They were Jahil, but Jahil here simply means that a time had come when most of the Arabs were not practicing those values that were KNOWN to everyone.  Jahiloyyah does not mean ignorance.  It mean the opposite of Hilm.   What amazed the Arabs about our Mawla Muhammad Mustafa (S) is that a man had appeared who embodied all those very "well known values" that were hardly practiced anymore.  This is alone is a great miracle indeed.  

Edited by eThErEaL

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Boy said:

In my opinion this Sunni doctrine is quite racist;but do Shias share this view of the Arabs being superior?

It has nothing to do shia sunni. 

Quran clearly rejects racism. The criteria for superiorty is piety and knowledge of Allah. If some Arab or non Arab has any delusion of racism he should consult psychiatrist. 

@eThErEaL

Surely the Arabs possessed some virtues before the advent of Prophethood, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into believing that these virtues outstripped their many sins and vices. As Ja'far ibn Abu Talib capably summarized in his address to the King of Abyssinia,

“We were a people of Jahiliyyah, worshipping idols, eating the flesh of dead animals, committing abominations, neglecting our relatives, doing evil to our neighbours and the strong among us would oppress the weak…

Their actions are repudiated time and time again by the Qur'an.

"And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it."

[3:103]

And when the news of a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonour or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision

[al-Nahl 16:58]

Now I don't mean to be racist towards the Arab race, and nor are the practices of the people of jahiliyyah reflective of most Arabs today. But it seems to me that it took the best of the 124,000 prophets to bring the Arabs of that time into line for a handful of years- before they rebelled against his teachings once more as soon as he passed away, all for the greed of power and authority.

Edited by Shaykh Patience101

Culture and nodes of power politics always trump religious people and convictions 

Christianity is not a racist ideology but was used to justify nationalism fascism and racism 

If shiaism was in power for a long time racism surely would have seeped into it as well.

Sunnis rely on a great many Persian scholars as it's pillars btw so it's not officially racist 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

9 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

@eThErEaL

Surely the Arabs possessed some virtues before the advent of Prophethood, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into believing that these virtues outstripped their many sins and vices. As Ja'far ibn Abu Talib capably summarized in his address to the King of Abyssinia,

“We were a people of Jahiliyyah, worshipping idols, eating the flesh of dead animals, committing abominations, neglecting our relatives, doing evil to our neighbours and the strong among us would oppress the weak…

Their actions are repudiated time and time again by the Qur'an.

"And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it."

[3:103]

And when the news of a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonour or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision

[al-Nahl 16:58]

Now I don't mean to be racist towards the Arab race, and nor are the practices of the people of jahiliyyah reflective of most Arabs today. But it seems to me that it took the best of the 124,000 prophets to bring the Arabs of that time into line for a handful of years- before they rebelled against his teachings once more as soon as he passed away, all for the greed of power and authority.

The fact that they were in Jahiliyyah just goes to prove or strengthen my point.   

I will put this verse just like our brother did above:

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous/pious of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.

Allah doesn't prefer anyone, Sayyed or non-Sayyed, unless they are pious, submitting, faithful, patient and ready to sacrifice themselves for the sake of Allah! 

Edited by M.IB

And part of righteousness or piety is to honor the signs of God; to honor and to acknowledge those whom He has favored.  This idea of pure & absolute equality is simply one of the worst malaise to afflict the postmodern culture that we live in.  

The fact of the matter is that God has favored some above others, and this is part of the test.  For example, if someone is gifted with the capacity to know more than you, then you need to acknowledge this and praise Allah for it.  To deny the superiority of that person's intelligence would be a kind of kufr (literally, a concealing of the truth).   In the same manner, God has favored certain people above others.  There are, for example, some people who have been blessed with belonging to a righteous family.  Those people who have been blessed in this way, ought to see it as a ni'ma from God.  And they are now responsible for what they are given.  They are responsible because their test is to use this blessing to benefit others.  

None of this IMPLIES discrimination simply because that blessing or n'ima belongs to, or comes from an Ever and Fully Present Being who is equally WITH everyone and everything.  It isn't like God is with some people more than He is with others.  He is fully and completely present, with His entire and absolute Being, with or in everyone equally.          

It is part of the Islamic way to love everything about Mawlana Muhammad Mustafa (S); from loving the very dates (ajwar) that he would prefer to eat all the way to loving those who were merely part of his (S) bloodline (shurafa or seyyeds).   Is it surprising that the Arab race is a preferred race?  So long as this results in more devotion towards our Beloved Prophet (S) who was an Arab and so long as it doesn;t result in pride, self-righteousness, and superiority then there shouldn't be a problem.         

Edited by eThErEaL

10 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Is it surprising that the Arab race is a preferred race?  So long as this results in more devotion towards our Beloved Prophet (S) who was an Arab and so long as it doesn;t result in pride, self-righteousness, and superiority then there shouldn't be a problem.         

Preferred in what way?

Is there any direct, non-analagous proof that Arabs are preferred by God? Is there any proof that loving the Prophet's sunna extends to recognizing Arabs as Allah's preferred ethnicity? Because without textual backing, your arguments are meaningless. 

4 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

Preferred in what way?

Is there any direct, non-analagous proof that Arabs are preferred by God? Is there any proof that loving the Prophet's sunna extends to recognizing Arabs as Allah's preferred ethnicity? Because without textual backing, your arguments are meaningless. 

All I am saying is that i wouldn't be surprised if such statements about prefernce for Arabs are found in hadith.  I am simply arguing that it wouldn't necessarily be considered racist or discriminatory.  As for how they are preferred, I have already  written about it.  I am not arguing that this notion is found in Hadith but that it wouldn't be all that surprising if it were found in Hadith.  So, what I am saying is not meaningless unless you decide to attack a strawman and claim that I am arguing for something which I am not arguing for.  

Edited by eThErEaL