Reza

#8 Muharram Night Plans

Poll #8  

63 members have voted

1. 1. During nights of Muharram, I will likely be...

• At home
    • Islamic center

9 minutes ago, Reza said:

Where will you be?

Not sure. Since I am sick with flu and headache I don't really wanna move much, but if my family goes I go as well. Insha'Allah.

Else I will suffix with listening to lectures Insha'Allah.

No Shia center near me.

I usually try to listen to lectures online but am not good at long videos, so end up reading histories instead and listening to only short recitations. 

I am leading the local volunteer police to provide security to our Hussainiya / Imam Bargah. I've taken this night off. Yesterday was stressful because out of 25 volunteers only two of us showed and this year the police chief and the government are slacking way too much even though the situation is delicate now because the most foreign and most corrupt political government ever is leaving in a few months and even now several of their office holders have been charged with murder, corruption and other severe crimes. The police was also late, I had to call them. Then out of the blue electricity was gone for 3 hours so my 2IC and good friend called them and had to convince them to be more responsible. Finally two policemen with one rifle arrived an hour late. I told the inspector I have no choice but to arm my boys. Most of them were absent so I called them (and lied to them) that since they have violated terms in their agreement they will have to be locked up for being awol. We do this each year. It was stressful to note that all my veterans were absent or had not volunteered. All these new millennial boys knew nothing and can't guard a bundle of hay from goats. I would soil myself from stress if one of them was handed a firearm, they are so green, and can't even keep watch in the same direction or area for more than a minute. Thankfully two of my dutiful old pals agreed to return to this year's duty as I called them over. We erected check posts and wired some lights very quickly. Each year the first and the morning of the tenth are testing times and I notice only the most sincere will have the spirit to be there.

57 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

I am leading the local volunteer police to provide security to our Hussainiya / Imam Bargah.....

What where the heck is this? Sounds terrible? Sounds like  Pakistan (no offense). Where the heck is this crazy stuff happening?

Edited by starlight
Cut down quote

Alhamdulillah I found a shia islamic center here in Singapore.

SubhanAllah its so nice to see different ethnic groups coming together for the love of Hussein(as), they have lectures in urdu, malay and english and when they do latimya they say them in farsi, english, urdu and malaysian.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, Ibn al-Hussain said:

:salam:

I will be reciting my first lecture series - wish me luck :blush:.

Wasalam

How did it go? What was your topic?

On 9/28/2017 at 8:47 PM, IbnSina said:

SubhanAllah its so nice to see different ethnic groups coming together for the love of Hussein(as), they have lectures in urdu, malay and english and when they do latimya they say them in farsi, english, urdu and malaysian.

I have been to it in 2009. Mashallah

4 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

How did it go? What was your topic?

It was okay, the crowd age range was too large (14 years to 30) and included both high school and university students. The topics I covered were:

1. First night was just an Intro and a History of Azadari (I covered different phases from right after Karbala until the Qajar dynasty and current times)
  2. Addiction to Entertainment
  3. 'Ujb - Conceit
  4. Theory of Knowledge / Epistemology
  5. Lessons from the story of Asiya the wife of Fir'aun
  6. Science vs. Religion (continuation of the Theory of Knowledge talk)
  7. Reasons for the Decline of the Elite (Khawass) under Imam Ali's Government
  8. Concept of Ihsan
  9. This night was just a discussion (on the notion of Hijab and covering - not a Fiqhi discussion, rather was trying to approach it from an esoteric perspective)
  10. Last night I just went through the chain of events leading up to 'Ashura

Only lecture 4 and 6 were a bit technical, and I was repeatedly told to keep the topics simple. But I had to do those two for the university crowd and interestingly those were the two main lectures that resulted in the longest post-lecture discussion (one night we went on for about 5 hours of discussion and question and answers after the lecture).

The community has no English resident scholar all year long, so I was pretty frank with them and told them that these talks will be pretty useless for the high school kids since they have no tarbiyyah happening the whole year. So to expect something significant from a 40 minute Muharram lecture is unreasonable. I'm not a big fan of the current system of tableegh that is common in the Shi'i world. Unfortunately though I have to work within this system at this point in time in order to bring about any sort of change in the near future.

Wasalam

On 9/29/2017 at 5:17 AM, IbnSina said:

Interestingly I was given an offer to go to Singapore as well for the 10 days of Muharram - I didn't accept it though. Perhaps it was the same place you were attending?

Wasalam

On 9/29/2017 at 2:47 AM, IbnSina said:

Is it the Jaafari Muslim Association Singapore? I have visited there before, it is very nice community.

Edited by Dhulfikar

10 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

It was okay, the crowd age range was too large (14 years to 30) and included both high school and university students. The topics I covered were:

1. First night was just an Intro and a History of Azadari (I covered different phases from right after Karbala until the Qajar dynasty and current times)
  3. 'Ujb - Conceit
  8. Concept of Ihsan
  9. This night was just a discussion (on the notion of Hijab and covering - not a Fiqhi discussion, rather was trying to approach it from an esoteric perspective)

Only lecture 4 and 6 were a bit technical, and I was repeatedly told to keep the topics simple. But I had to do those two for the university crowd and interestingly those were the two main lectures that resulted in the longest post-lecture discussion (one night we went on for about 5 hours of discussion and question and answers after the lecture).

The community has no English resident scholar all year long, so I was pretty frank with them and told them that these talks will be pretty useless for the high school kids since they have no tarbiyyah happening the whole year. So to expect something significant from a 40 minute Muharram lecture is unreasonable. I'm not a big fan of the current system of tableegh that is common in the Shi'i world. Unfortunately though I have to work within this system at this point in time in order to bring about any sort of change in the near future.

Wasalam

Mashallah. Wishing you all the best in this noble endeavor. 

10 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

3. 'Ujb - Conceit
  8. Concept of Ihsan

Wasalam

Mashallah. Wishing you all the best in this noble endeavor. 

On 10/7/2017 at 4:32 AM, Ibn al-Hussain said:

Interestingly I was given an offer to go to Singapore as well for the 10 days of Muharram - I didn't accept it though. Perhaps it was the same place you were attending?

Wasalam

On 10/7/2017 at 5:15 AM, Dhulfikar said:

Is it the Jaafari Muslim Association Singapore? I have visited there before, it is very nice community.

I think that is the only one there...at least until 2010.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:32 AM, Ibn al-Hussain said:

Wasalam

You should have come brother, the people here are very friendly and nice, InshaAllah you get to go next time, let me know if you happen to do and I can send you the number to a brother there.

Yes, I think it is the only shia center here, the population of Singapore is just around 5,6 million so dont think they have multiple shia centers.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:15 PM, Dhulfikar said:

Yeah it was, mashaAllah very nice community, very welcoming.

On 10/7/2017 at 6:50 AM, shiaman14 said:

I have been to it in 2009. Mashallah

IA next year together!