MuslimahAK

Forbidden ring fingers

Rate this topic

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

I am going to be buying a Dur e Najaf ring here shortly and before I get my finger measured, I was wondering if there's any finger that is forbidden to wear rings on?

Again, I have no idea on these matters and I would deeply appreciate the help. 

Shukran. 

49 minutes ago, MuslimahAK said:

Bismillah ir Arahman ir Rahim

Salamu Alaikum!

I am going to be buying a Dur e Najaf ring here shortly and before I get my finger measured, I was wondering if there's any finger that is forbidden to wear rings on?

Again, I have no idea on these matters and I would deeply appreciate the help. 

Shukran. 

Wa aleykum assalam,

To my knowledge: the thumb, the index finger and the middle finger are not allowed to wear rings on because thats what the kafirs of old used to do, at least thats on of the reasons.

So the ring finger and the little fingers are the ones you can wear rings on but it is makrooh(not recommended) to wear them on your left hand. 

So all in all, best fingers to wear rings on are the ring finger and the little finger of your right hand.

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Wa aleykum assalam,

To my knowledge: the thumb, the index finger and the middle finger are not allowed to wear rings on because thats what the kafirs of old used to do, at least thats on of the reasons.

So the ring finger and the little fingers are the ones you can wear rings on but it is makrooh(not recommended) to wear them on your left hand. 

So all in all, best fingers to wear rings on are the ring finger and the little finger of your right hand.

This is correct. I'll just like to add that the left hand and thumb, index and middle finger is makkrooh because it is also used to do dirty things.

You also need to take off the ring during woodu and ghusl. The rest is fine insha Allah.

Hello,

I ask this not because I want to create a kerfuffle.  But, because I am trying to better understand Muslims. 

What references can you site for the above views?  And, Why would Allah care about such a thing?

All the Best,

David

10 minutes ago, David66 said:

Hello,

I ask this not because I want to create a kerfuffle.  But, because I am trying to better understand Muslims. 

What references can you site for the above views?  And, Why would Allah care about such a thing?

All the Best,

David

If Allah cares or not I don't know. This is just Sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w.s) and how he did things. Muslims follow his sunna as a ways to get closer to Allah. Now if you are worried that people will be sent to hell for using a ring in the wrong finger or hand don't worry because we don't believe that, there are far more important things that get neglected that can send someone to hell like murdering a innocent, suicide, mistreating animals, mistreating the planet, mistreating your fathers, etc

^ Hello,

Thank you for the response.  Please provide references for the following.

4 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

If Allah cares or not I don't know. This is just Sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w.s) and how he did things. Muslims follow his sunna as a ways to get closer to Allah. Now if you are worried that people will be sent to hell for using a ring in the wrong finger or hand don't worry because we don't believe that, there are far more important things that get neglected that can send someone to hell like murdering a innocent, suicide, mistreating animals, mistreating the planet, mistreating your fathers, etc

3 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

Actually I will add something here - Gold ring it's prohibited to men. The recommended is to use silver.

All the Best,

David

^^^^^ @David66  Salam Bro,

The references: goto searchtruth.com  drop down to hadith. l only searched "ring" + ""exact word" and you get 4 pages. The first Sahih Hadith the comes up says gold rings "are prohibited". The Prophet-s.a.w.s. had a silver ring. There are several "iron ring" so skip these.

I hate gold and the guy I'm buying it from, only uses sterling silver anyways. I love sterling silver anyways. So that should work. 

But thank you for that tip about taking it off when making wudhu. I did not realise that. 

1 hour ago, David66 said:

^ Hello,

All the Best,

David

1 hour ago, David66 said:

^ Hello,

All the Best,

David

"The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wore his ring on his right hand" [Shamail e Muhammadiya].

"The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) wore a silver ring in his right hand, it had an African stone and he (peace and blessings be upon him) kept the stone towards his palm." [Mishkaat Al-Masaabeeh]

"Anas (Allah is pleased with him) said the Prophet's ring was in this and he gestured towards his small finger on his left hand." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Ibn Umar (Allah is pleased with him) said the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wore his ring in his left hand." [Sunan Abi Dawood]

There is also a narration from Sayyiduna Ali (Allah is pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) advised him to wear the ring on his left hand because he writes with his right hand.

This is why it says in Bahar e Shariat,

"A male is permitted to wear his ring on any hand." [Bahar e Shariat]

Also as it has been mentioned above from the Sunnah,

"A man should keep the stone inwards facing towards his palm rather than outwards." [Bahar e Shariat]

One must not wear the ring on the middle finger or the index finger as it is narrated from Sayyiduna Ali (Allah is pleased with him),

"The Messenger of Allah prohibited me to wear the ring in this finger of mine or this and he gestured towards the middle finger and the index finger." [Saheeh Muslim]

One may wear the ring on his small finger as is mentioned above in a narration or the finger next to it.

A male must only wear one ring made of silver with only one stone of any type. The weight should be less than one "Mithqaal" - as mentioned in the narration of Sunan Abi Dawood after forbidding a ring made of brass and another made of iron, he (peace and blessings be upon him) said,

"Have it made from silver and ensure the weight does not complete a Mithqaal." [Sunan Abi Dawood]

One Mithqaal is four and a half Maasha which has been calculated by some as approximately 4.365 grams and approximately 4.7 grams by others.

It is impermissible for a man to wear more than one ring or a ring made of gold, [Bahar e Shariat]

It is also impermissible for a man to wear a ring with more than one stone and also to wear a "challah" which is a simple round ring all the way through without a stone or any carving on the surface that resembles the surface of where the stone is generally placed.

____

This is Sunni view. But it varies, most people say you can't use on the left because you use the left to do dirty things, of course if you use the left hand to do things then you use the right to do dirty things and use the ring in the left for hygienic reasons. I can span a whole article talking about all the ways to use the ring is just that the ruling that the Twelver brother said up there is the most widespread, is just fiqh issues. Men cannot use gold because it was used by pagans.

23 minutes ago, MuslimahAK said:

I hate gold and the guy I'm buying it from, only uses sterling silver anyways. I love sterling silver anyways. So that should work. 

But thank you for that tip about taking it off when making wudhu. I did not realise that. 

You need to take the ring of before entering in the bathroom for hygienic reasons and to do woodu and ghusl so that the water can reach easily the parts of the finger. The rest is fine Insha Allah.

I just only have read a Hadith in which prophet PBUHHP has prohibited men to wear Silk, Gold and colors of clothes that females used to wear. 

Edited by Hameedeh
Thank you for replying to another member. Part of your post was removed because his post above is under review as being incorrect.

Just now, MuslimahAK said:

@Sindbad05 I have absolutely no idea how to pose a question to a Mujtahid's office. I am guessing this is like a scholar? And I only speak English, my Arabic is limited and I speak no Farsi or Hindi or anything else. 

You can also post questions in english; On any Maraja Site. You can get whatsapp number of Ayotullah Makarem Shirazi and can ask questions in englihs as well. 

[Edit]

Anyways, I only wear 3 rings, its either a aqiq yemeni on my ring finger or a hematite ring for my ring finger or a black aqiq(onyx) for my little finger:

iRVPOcc.jpg

Edited by Hameedeh
Thank you for replying to another member. Part of your post was removed because his post above is under review as being incorrect.