Rate this topic

Salam,

My question is relating to this passage in the Quran:

And gathered for Solomon were his soldiers of the jinn and men and birds, and they were [marching] in rows. Until, when they came upon the valley of the ants, an ant said, “O ants, enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not.” So [Solomon] smiled, amused at her speech, and said, “My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants.” (27:17-19)

And specifically this sentence: "enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not."

I accept that an ant can see a danger and respond to it, but how can it know the marching army does not see the ants and does not intend to harm them?

Surely this judgement, and the communication of it, is beyond its cognitive ability.

11 minutes ago, Free_Spirit said:

Salam,

And gathered for Solomon were his soldiers of the jinn and men and birds, and they were [marching] in rows. Until, when they came upon the valley of the ants, an ant said, “O ants, enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not.” So [Solomon] smiled, amused at her speech, and said, “My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants.” (27:17-19)

And specifically this sentence: "enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not."

I accept that an ant can see a danger and respond to it, but how can it know the marching army does not see the ants and does not intend to harm them?

Surely this judgement, and the communication of it, is beyond its cognitive ability.

They communicate and scientists are decoding as to how they communicate. Their social discipline shows that they are tiny little social beings who help each other in their works.

13 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

They communicate and scientists are decoding as to how they communicate. Their social discipline shows that they are tiny little social beings who help each other in their works.

Salam, thanks for your time, but you did not answer my question.

1 hour ago, Free_Spirit said:

:) Are you not surprised on that as to how that ant knew the name of that king whose army was marching towards them?

"that you may not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers".

16 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Are you not surprised on that as to how that ant knew the name of that king whose army was marching towards them?

"that you may not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers".

Yes that too.

1 hour ago, Free_Spirit said:

وَمَا يَعْلَمُ جُنُودَ رَبِّكَ إِلَّا هُوَ 

And none can comprehend thy Sustainers forces save Him alone.

Maybe واد النمل is the proper name of a place like the following ones:

وادی الاسد- وادی الغراب- وادی الحوتان-وادی الجمل

https://ar.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/وادي_الجمل_(بني_قيس_الطور)

https://ar.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/وادي_الغرإب_(إب)

https://ar.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/وادي_اسد_(فرع_العدين)

Look at here:

https://ar.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/وادي_النمل

وادي النمل واد صغير من جنوب شرق الطائف في المملكة العربية السعودية، يأخذ سيله من أشعب جبال الصلايخ من شرق الطائف ومن شمال هضبة الوشحاء ويتجه صوب وادي نخب، وورد أن ياقوت الحموي ذكر أن هذا الوادي هو وادي النمل الذي ذكره الله في كتابه في قصة سليمان في قوله تعالى "(حَتَّى إِذَا أَتَوْا عَلَى وَادِ النَّمْلِ قَالَتْ نَمْلَةٌ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّمْلُ ادْخُلُوا مَسَاكِنَكُمْ لَا يَحْطِمَنَّكُمْ سُلَيْمَانُ وَجُنُودُهُ وَهُمْ لَا يَشْعُرُونَ) [النمل: 18]". [1]

Edited by shadow_of_light

Here comes another surprise:

Surah An-Nahl, Verse 68:

وَأَوْحَىٰ رَبُّكَ إِلَى النَّحْلِ أَنِ اتَّخِذِي مِنَ الْجِبَالِ بُيُوتًا وَمِنَ الشَّجَرِ وَمِمَّا يَعْرِشُونَ

And your Lord revealed to the bee saying: Make hives in the mountains and in the trees and in what they build:

(English - Shakir)

10 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

And none can comprehend thy Sustainers forces save Him alone.

The Quran here is making a claim that ants are capable of rational thinking. Their brain structure does not support it.

5 hours ago, Free_Spirit said:

All creation communicates. Verily Allah, according to the Quran has made communities out of Animals and Insects like us.

Edited by Hameedeh
Quote was reduced in length.

Just now, Free_Spirit said:

The Quran here is making a claim that ants are capable of rational thinking. Their brain structure does not support it.

Have you seen an Ant farm? Ants are highly intelligent, they have a Queen that runs their operation and work together to create a sufficient colony. 

2 minutes ago, Free_Spirit said:

Quran also mentions the reaction of Prophet Solomon:

فَتَبَسَّمَ ضَاحِكًا مِّن قَوْلِهَا 

Thereupon [Solomon] smiled joyously at her words,

He heard those words & smiled :).

Can we hear what ant say?

It is not a claim, the verse is talking about one ant, not all of them were aware of who is comming towards them. 

34 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Thereupon [Solomon] smiled joyously at her words,

He heard those words & smiled :).

Can we hear what ant say?

You raise another problem - Solomon heard the ant talk. How?

34 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

It is not a claim, the verse is talking about one ant, not all of them were aware of who is comming towards them. 

What applies to one ant applies to all of the ants.

1 minute ago, Free_Spirit said:

You raise another problem - Solomon heard the ant talk. How?

:) I will continue to raise more points for thinking. The short answer to your "how" is a word "hujjatullahe alal khalq". And Prophet Solomon was the hujjah of Allah upon Creation.

4 minutes ago, Free_Spirit said:

What applies to one ant applies to all of the ants.

Are you sure that the capabilities & knowledge of all men are same?

As per your logic "what applies to one, applies to all", they must be same for all men.

Surah An-Naml, Verse 18:

حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَتَوْا عَلَىٰ وَادِ النَّمْلِ قَالَتْ نَمْلَةٌ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّمْلُ ادْخُلُوا مَسَاكِنَكُمْ لَا يَحْطِمَنَّكُمْ سُلَيْمَانُ وَجُنُودُهُ وَهُمْ لَا يَشْعُرُونَ

Until when they came to the valley of the Naml, a Namlite said: O Naml! enter your houses, (that) Sulaiman and his hosts may not crush you while they do not know.

(English - Shakir)

Listen another view point now:

"Namal" is the name of that valley. Any resident of that valley can be called "Namlite", he/she is not necessarly an ant. And the reason for this conclusion is the word "masakinakum" (your houses or your safe places).

If the caller was an ant himself/herself, he/she would have not used the word "masakinakum" because ants usually lives in colony.

Here are few points about ants:

"Ants are social insects, which means they live in a group, or colony. Ant colonies are highly organized, usually ruled by a single queen, and each ant has specific jobs to do. Most ants in a colony are female workers."

2 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

"Namal" is the name of that valley. Any resident of that valley can be called "Namlite", he/she is not necessarly an ant. And the reason for this conclusion is the word "masakinakum" (your houses or your safe places).

If the caller was an ant himself/herself, he/she would have not used the word "masakinakum" because ants usually lives in colony.

But how can an army crush human beings without realising it?

3 hours ago, Free_Spirit said:

accept that an ant can see a danger and respond to it, but how can it know the marching army does not see the ants and does not intend to harm them?

Through the ground motion, the ants are so tiny and the marching of horses trembles the earth so the ant knew it due to galloping of horses which produced sound waves. It is not difficult if you want to know if moving train is coming, you can know it by placing your ear on the railroad and know that if train is coming away from a mile or not. 

14 minutes ago, Free_Spirit said:

But how can an army crush human beings without realising it?

Namlite was speaking to ants, advising them to go to their houses. This is just one point of view. 

Prophet Solomon had the capability & knowledge to speak to jinns, animals & birds. He understand their languages. 

Wa'alaykum Assalam,

'Sura “Naml” (the Ant) in the Holy Qur'an is a chapter named after this creature. Over 1300 years ago, Imam Ali (a) was giving a sermon in Kufa, in which he was describing the beauties of creation in various forms of life. He was referring to small creatures and asking man to study how God made them so small yet so sturdy and strong. He described the ant in these words:

'Look at an ant. How tiny is its body and how delicate are its features! It is such a small creature that it often escapes the eye, and few people care to attach any importance to it among the living beings found on this earth. Look at it and study its ways of life; how it crawls, how it attacks its food; how it lifts a grain so many times heavier than its body, carries it to its hole; how it stores grains; and how in summer it gathers and stocks food for winter and rainy days.'

The Aunt Prays for rain. https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-stories/ant-prays-rain

14 hours ago, Free_Spirit said:

Salam,

You wont find a "rational" type answer or explanation for this question. And I think you know that you wont.

So what are you seeking in asking these questions? Are you trying to affirm your thoughts or, are you looking for some sort of allegorical explanation or?

15 hours ago, Free_Spirit said:

The Ahmadi's interpret this way. But how can an army crush human beings without realising it?

Quran says و هم لا یشعرون. I am not sure but maybe it can mean that "they dont have sho'our". Maybe Namla thought that they would invade them like barbaric troops. But I am not sure.