E.L King

Is depression a real mental illness?

Rate this topic

What I don't understand is how depression is considered a mental illness, when I just see it as someone who is just extremely sad. At the end of the day, some people get too sad over things, while other people get over it and go about their way - and it can be over similar things.

For example (I also wonder if race has something to do with this) you will find out stories about a white guy breaking up with his partner in a haram relationship and goes and kills himself for some reason.

While you see some people who lost everything in life but still keep pushing for success - and are patient in their struggles, and do not complain.

It just seems to me as a weakness rather than an illness (like insanity).

NOTE: if you get triggered easily, and your emotional, and your ready to rant and shout in the replies, don't bother replying. 

I am not an Expert.

Core Issue/ The Driving Force -Maybe the result of a conflict between Nature(self)  and Nurture(around us).

Which inturn effects the levels in our Physical body. So, most of the time medicine is like a bandaid unless you work on the Underlying Issue.

Edited by S.M.H.A.

There are two key differences between feeling sad and being clinically depressed. 

1. In a person with clinical depression feelings of melancholy  and sadness are triggered by trivial things or lots of times without even any triggering factor as compared to feeling sad over the death of a relative or failing an exam in a normal, healthy person. 

2. A normal person bounces back after the triggering event is over while a person with depression cannot lift himself from this sadness.

Why I wouldn't think of it as just a weakness because imbalance in the neurotransmitters has been found in patients suffering from depression. While strong faith can help you overcome any illness but still drugs also play a role in restoring the normal balance of neurotransmitters.

52 minutes ago, E.L King said:

It just seems to me as a weakness rather than an illness (like insanity).

Are you a mental health professional? What qualifications do you have to make that conclusion?

6 minutes ago, Reza said:

Are you a mental health professional? What qualifications do you have to make that conclusion?

I'm here to start a discussion about this topic and get insight from some of the more intelligent users on here when it comes to this field. 

I am not an expert, but I believe there are neurochemical components to depression. It's not just sadness. Medication wouldn't do a thing for sadness, only time and circumstances can cure that. But medication can change chemical or hormonal status of the body. 

4 hours ago, E.L King said:

What I don't understand is how depression is considered a mental illness, when I just see it as someone who is just extremely sad.

I don't have depression but I have seen people with depression, it is more than just mere sadness. It is basically a mental shutdown, the simplest thing can take a lot of willpower for someone with depression.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

Calling it an illness doesn't  mean it's outside the persons control, or that they need medication.  If that was the case then counselling and other types of talking therapies would be ineffective, yet we know they can be extremely effective.  Compare this to biological illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease which can't be cured by talking to someone or examining your thought process.  Usually (although not always) there is an obvious trigger followed by an unhelpful reaction to that trigger eg someone loses their job > thinks life is over.

Edited by .InshAllah.

As someone who was severely and devastatingly depressed  I must disagree with people saying medication is the key.. Because I did not take any medication and am no longer in depression. 

I really doubt many people really understand or know what depression feels like... Depression isnt something you feel for a few days.. it is something that lasts years... A person who doesnt know what it feels like cannot imagine it, and him trying to understand it is like me trying to explain the taste of a mango to someone who has never tasted mango... you can describe it, but unless he feels it, he simply wont understand. The part about finding imbalance in chemicals is still true.. but that is the result of the depression and not the cause. To fight depression is simple, discipline and faith. 

Some causes of depression are drugs, gambling, alcohol, masturbation all of the above.. if someone is doing any of these things and is complaining about being depressed than he needs to be slapped in the face because one of those is the reason. Pills from pharmacies count as drugs... too many shias do not understand that you cannot trust medication. I have seen so many friends and family on medication over years and can say, it only makes the problems worse. 

If the cause of depression is love or grief, than the person is not close enough to Allah swt. A heartbroken person should come to terms that Allah will take care of him and he should submit him/herself to God's hands. Once you understand that, then the depression will go away.

Two things will fix your chemical balance in your brain. Exercise and/or Sex. These two are the only things that release endorphin to make us happy naturally. So if you are not married.... run, and of you are married, have more sex. 

Wsalam

Edited by kirtc

6 hours ago, starlight said:

Why I wouldn't think of it as just a weakness because imbalance in the neurotransmitters has been found in patients suffering from depression. While strong faith can help you overcome any illness but still drugs also play a role in restoring the normal balance of neurotransmitters.

This is depression explained, King. What a layman might feel over the death of their cat is not. In depression there is imbalance of chemicals in the brain and neurotransmitters behave abnormally because of it.