7 hours ago, sidnaq said:

thoughts?

I am proud to say that I have never spent my hard earned money on an iPhone. And I never will until my last.

If you* are rich, donate to a charity.

If you are stupid, go and buy iPhone X and parade it on your social media.

*plural you.

Edited by Marbles
Typo

On 9/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I wouldn't pay a 1000 dollars for a phone that will be outdated and replaced by a more expensive model.

Its not just the Iphone even though thats what everyone has focused on.

Samsung Galaxy note 8 $930.00

Samsung S8 $919.00

Tonino Lamborghini 88 Tauri, $5,250

Mobiado Grand Touch EM Marble $3,100

Sirin Solarin Crystal $14,000.

Dear younger bros/sis - don't be so technology averse. Yes I agree to an extent that smart phones are over priced, but consider this, my smart phone substitutes for me:

a. Real time GPS unit which normally costs me over $200 which helps me to maneuver the traffic in a city where standard commute is more than an hour each way 

b. Online banking so rather than opening my MS operated $1200 laptop which still takes over 5 min. to start. I sit in my office, open the app, pay all my bills and schedule payments etc.

c. My mother calls me in the middle of the night telling me she saw so and so dream (you know the mothers right lol) and orders me to pay sadqa right away, I go on my phone, login if I could type straight that late, and wallah it's done

d. Emails that used to take me hours on a laptop to login - check - respond - logout are on my fingertips at all times with single sign-on meaning no need to login multiple times

e. Communication costs, I remember it used to be over $3 to call home when I was in college to free calls on all sorts of connection apps etc.

f. Access to cameras, photo, videos to capture memories (if anybody remembers those cameras costing typically over $300)

g. I'm not even counting web surfing, online shopping & comparing, card-less shopping through epays, checking the status of my kids' school bus knowing exactly where the school bus is, keeping the track of my schedules on my three calendars and a whole lot more

In a nutshell, smart phones have their own goods and bads but they are your mini-organizers and have substituted so many devices which otherwise would cost you over $5k and a large briefcase.

Again if someone doesn't use the smartphones in their full potential, they are complete waste and more likely a fashion statement and a mode of riya. But for a whole lots of us, they truly have made lives easier yet a bit more exposed if we be careless.   

10 hours ago, iavswn said:

Its not just the Iphone even though thats what everyone has focused on.

Samsung S8 $919.00

Tonino Lamborghini 88 Tauri, $5,250

Mobiado Grand Touch EM Marble $3,100

Sirin Solarin Crystal $14,000.

:fever:

7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Samsung S8 $919.00

@iavswn

It is possible to buy cheaper phones in other ranges depending on how much money you're willing to pay for extra features and high end tech. With iPhone it's not possible, which is why the latter is a statement of riches and a status symbol especially in countries with a significant class divide.

Whether they need it or not, people over here would eat grass but save enough money to be able to buy an iPhone because, heck, it's supposed to be cool *rolls eyes*

I feel a constriction in my chest when I see kids as young as 13 with iPhones in their hands. Some parent just don't know how to raise children.

Edited by Marbles
tagged the member I am actually quoting

54 minutes ago, Marbles said:

It is possible to buy cheaper phones in other ranges depending on how much money you're willing to pay for extra features and high end tech. With iPhone it's not possible, which is why the latter is a statement of riches and a status symbol especially in countries with a significant class divide.

Whether they need it or not, people over here would eat grass but save enough money to be able to buy an iPhone because, heck, it's supposed to be cool *rolls eyes*

I feel a constriction in my chest when I see kids as young as 13 with iPhones in their hands. Some parent just don't know how to raise children.

Brother Marbles: I agree to that too, and I'm guilty of the same. Although in our case, kids get to get the phones when we run them out of memory and stuff. We don't upgrade for the sake of brandishing the latest version though.

For example the smartphone one of my kids just got was used by one of us and we finally outran it's capacity. 

The kid in case here, uses it for learning art from our sanctioned website, is not allowed to surf the net, no social app is loaded whatsoever, communication aps passwords are shared, makes me record the videos of their selfdefense coach, practices the salams / nohey, reads ziaraat, stay connected if late from school, and randomly talks to grandparents & other family elders without us asking or reminding. Vetted games are assigned strict 30 minutes and the device can easily be grounded for hours / days if anybody tries to overindulge. 

Its all in how you let kids go about the devices, and not the devices itself. I've seen other kids gathering on religious or social gatherings stuck in their tablets tapping the screens like maniacs which does give me constriction in my chest. 

Edited by Irfani313

I would rather get the 8 over the x or 10 because the x is a new gen phone meaning there will be a lot of problems associated with it not to mention it has no touch id