Rate this topic

SalamAlaykum Brothers and sisters, I hope you are well. 

I had another question that came in my mind. We have ancient texts of the Jewish Bible (Tanakh/Old Testament) that the name of the LORD was YHWH. But what about according to Islam? Was wondering if one of the names of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى was YHWH or if it's a man made name. 

Would really appreciate if a knowledgeable brother or sister can reply 

Jazakallah khair 

38 minutes ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

I had another question that came in my mind. We have ancient texts of the Jewish Bible (Tanakh/Old Testament) that the name of the LORD was YHWH. But what about according to Islam? Was wondering if one of the names of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى was YHWH or if it's a man made name. 

Jazakallah khair 

Aleikum Salam brother

It wasn't. That's the abbreviation of the name of a Canaanite god. Allah was referred as Eloh, Elah and Elohim.

8 hours ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

Jazakallah khair 

According to Exodus 6, Abraham knew God under the name "El-Shaddai". "Jehovah" seemingly being a younger name. Jews and Arabs were once the same people with the same language, so and El and Allah is probably the same name

2 God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am the LORD;

and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty (El-Shaddai) but by My name, LORD (Jehovah), I did not make Myself known to them.

(Most Bibles has this translation. The original Hebrew inserted by me in brackets)

8 hours ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

Jazakallah khair 

No dear Brother. :)

9 hours ago, baqar said:

Do you have a reliable source for your information?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh

_____

Elohim occurs frequently throughout the Torah. In some cases (e.g. Exodus 3:4, "... Elohim called unto him out of the midst of the bush ..."), it behaves like a singular noun in Hebrew grammar, and is then generally understood to denote the single God of Israel. In other cases, Elohim acts as an ordinary plural of the word Eloah (Exodus 20:3, "You shall have no other gods before me.").

_______

There was two groups of them. The Yawest and Elohist.

YHWH - Yahweh - Y*HW*H

____

Allah was referred as Eloah, Elah, Eloh, Elohim.

Eloh - Eloah - Elah - Allah

_____

While the Yahwist presented an anthropomorphic God who could walk through the Garden of Eden looking for Adam and Eve, the Elohist frequently involves angels. For example, it is the Elohist version of the tale of Jacob's ladder in which there is a ladder of angels with God at the top, leading to Jacob later dedicating the place as Beth-El (House of God), whereas in the Jahwist tale, it is a simple dream in which God is simply above the location, without the ladder or angels.

Edited by SunniBrother

In Tabrisi's Majma` al-Bayan, he mentions in his tafsir of Quran 27:40:

هو آصف بن برخيا، وكان وزير سليمان، وابن أخته، وكان صديقا يعرف اسم الله الأعظم، الذي إذا دعي به أجاب، عن ابن عباس. وقيل: إن ذلك الإسم الله، والذي يليه الرحمن. وقيل: هو يا حي يا قيوم، وبالعبرانية أهيا شراهيا (1).

He is Asif b. Barkhiyya, and he was the vizier of Sulayman and the son of his sister. He was a siddiq who knew the Greatest Name of Allah; if He is called with it, then He answers - from Ibn `Abbas. And it is said that the name is "Allah", and it is followed by "the Beneficent" (ar-Rahman). And it is said that it is "O Living, O Everlasting" (Ya Hayyu Ya Qayyum), and in Hebrew it is "Ahya Sharahya".

The footnote says:

(1) كذا في الأصل والمخطوطتين. وفي نسخة مطبوعة: " آهى إشراهى ". واستظهر في هامش نسخة (البحار): أن الصحيح " أهيه اشراهيه ". وقال (اهيه) بمعنى واجب الوجود. وقيل معنى الجملة: الوجود الذي هو موجود (*).

It is like this in the original and the (two?) manuscripts. And in the print version, it is "Aha Isharaha". And it appears in the margin of the manuscript of Bihar that the correct [spelling] is "Ahya Ashar Ahya". And it said that "Ahya" means "The Necessary Existent" (Wajib al-Wujud). And it is said that the meaning of the sentence is: "The Existence that is [Always] Existing" (Al-Wujud al-Lathee Huwa Mawjud).

http://www.yasoob.org/books/htm1/m016/20/no2027.html

In Bihar al-Anwar in a hadith about a man who allegedly met Elijah the Prophet (as), he said:

فدعا لي بثمان دعوات (1)

" يا بر يا رحيم يا حنان يا منان يا حي يا قيوم " ودعوتين بالسريانية فلم أفهمهما، (2)

"He supplicated eight supplications (names of Allah) for me: O Good, O Merciful, O Kind, O Bountiful, O Living, O Everlasting. And two in the angelic language (or Syriac) that I did not understand."

The footnote says:

في المصدر زيادة وهى: وقيل: هما " باهيا شراهيا " ولعل الصحيح " آهية اشراهية " والاول بمعنى واجب الوجود.

in the manuscript there is an addendum, and it is: The two are "Bahiya Sharahiya", and the correct [pronunciation] is probably "Ahya Ashar Ahya", and it means "The Necessary Existent".

http://www.yasoob.com/books/htm1/m013/12/no1292.html

I think it is mentioned elsewhere as well. Anyway, the word Ahya Ashar Ahya comes from Exodus 3:14, where Moses asks Allah about His name, and He replies, "I am that I am", which is rendered ( אֶֽהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶֽהְיֶה , Ahya Ashar Ahya).

19 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

Unless you believe in the anthropomorphic god of the salafis I wouldn't compare Allah with Yahweh. Just read what I wrote above and draw conclusions.

Yahweh and El-Shaddai are two names for the same God. Israels God exclusively. Not the Arabs, Swedes or Russians God. They had other Gods. Allah of the Quran and El of the Torah are not the same Gods, but their names have a common semitic origin. 

The funny thing is how everyone here ignoring me and want to compete. The Jews and Bani Israel weren't monolithic, not even Islam is monolithic. There was also 3 groups during the time of Isa (a.s), the Sadducees, Pharisees and Essenes, 4 if you count the Samaritans. Isa (a.s) was a Essene.

There was two groups among them the Jawest and Elohists.

He asked about the name Allah is derived from Eloh, Elah, in Aramaic it was Alah and Arabic is Allah and this is from the Elohist side, not the Jawest.

As if Jews never worshipped anything besides Allah, everyone here is ignoring that they used to fall into idol worship and hence all the warning in the Qur'an.

Edited by SunniBrother

48 minutes ago, MohammadAli1993 said:

How do u know? Dear brother 

Verily the Holy Book of Allah reveals to us our Lord's names and YHWH is not one of them nor does our Holy Book mention that Allah revealed this name to Prophet Musa (as) when he approached the burning bush as Christians claim in their Bible. Rather Ĕlaha or Ilāh or al-ilāh. If you but knew. :)

29 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

There was two groups among them the Jawest and Elohists.

As if Jews never worshipped anything besides Allah, everyone here is ignoring that they used to fall into idol worship and hence all the warning in the Qur'an.

Jahwist and Elohist refer to two unknown authors of different parts of the Torah around 500BC

??? The Bible is not afraid to tell us that Jews worshipped many Gods 3.000 years ago. Now this was long before the Quran. Old Judaism was a very different religion from Islam, and also very different from Judaism today

The funny thing here is - Everyone believe the bible is corrupt. Then someone ask if the name Yahweh-YHWH was the name of Allah. A guy reply that it wasn't, he was called Eloh in old Hebrew. Everyone goes nuts asking sources and references because the bible cannot possible be wrong, Yahweh is Allah, no such corruption in the bible, lets confirm that Yahweh is Allah. Hahahahaha

43 minutes ago, andres said:

Jahwist and Elohist refer to two unknown authors of different parts of the Torah around 500BC

??? The Bible is not afraid to tell us that Jews worshipped many Gods 3.000 years ago. Now this was long before the Quran. Old Judaism was a very different religion from Islam, and also very different from Judaism today

There was no Jews at the time of Ibrahim (a.s). The name Jew came from the tribe of Judah much later. Musa (a.s) wasn't from the tribe of Judah, he was from the tribe of Levi, in this sense he wasn't a Jew because the name came much later after the Babylonian conquest of the northern tribes and the only territory left was that of the kingdom of Judah. Those from the tribe of Judah that were in exile in Babylon developed what came be know as Judaism. But it doesn't end here, the Jews today are very different from back there given that they developed after the Pharisees from the time of the second temple. The Jews are offshoot of the tribe of Judah among Bani Israel, they are a oppressive tribe among them. Bani Israel were devout Muslims who worshipped the one God, Eloh, Allah. Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s) came to restore the pure Abrahamic monotheism, the Tawheed of Ibrahim (a.s), and Ibrahim (a.s) was neither Jew or Christian, but he was someone who submitted himself to the will of the Almighty God, the one and truly living God, Allah.

Edited by SunniBrother

1 hour ago, SunniBrother said:

There was no Jews at the time of Ibrahim (a.s). The name Jew came from the tribe of Judah much later. Musa (a.s) wasn't from the tribe of Judah, he was from the tribe of Levi, in this sense he wasn't a Jew because the name came much later after the Babylonian conquest of the northern tribes and the only territory left was that of the kingdom of Judah. Those from the tribe of Judah that were in exile in Babylon developed what came be know as Judaism. But it doesn't end here, the Jews today are very different from back there given that they developed after the Pharisees from the time of the second temple. The Jews are offshoot of the tribe of Judah among Bani Israel, they are a oppressive tribe among them. Bani Israel were devout Muslims who worshipped the one God, Eloh, Allah. Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.s) came to restore the pure Abrahamic monotheism, the Tawheed of Ibrahim (a.s), and Ibrahim (a.s) was neither Jew or Christian, but he was someone who submitted himself to the will of the Almighty God, the one and truly living God, Allah.

Of course there were no Jews at the time when Abraham was supposed to have existed. No Christians or Muslims either. Back in those days all semites were polytheists. Like everywhere else on our planet. Judaism formes in the middle of the first century BC. The Torah however reveals a lot of the pre-judaism religion. But when we speak about Judaism, we also include Adam, Noah, Abraham and Moses. Beyond any historical doubts mythical persons, even so they still are important tradition within Judaism.

On 12/09/2017 at 8:20 PM, AfricanShia said:

Verily the Holy Book of Allah reveals to us our Lord's names and YHWH is not one of them nor does our Holy Book mention that Allah revealed this name to Prophet Musa (as) when he approached the burning bush as Christians claim in their Bible. Rather Ĕlaha or Ilāh or al-ilāh. If you but knew. :)

Allah SWT is not limited to the names he has revealed to us in the Quran. What my point here is, is exactly what certain passages In the Bible mention in which the Quran doesn't for example. The Quran doesn't mention that Prophet Yaqoob name was changed from Yaqoob to Israel. Or Abram To Abraham. There are certain things the Bible has mention in which the Quran doesn't. I'm no trying to say that the Quran misses those points and they are crucial but was wondering about the name YHWH. If it was man made or not. 

On 9/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, andres said:

I am sure you talking about Israelites sons of Jacob/Israel [as].

Didn't Jews have some sort of making a prophet an angel/son of God/God ?

Edited by M.IB

2 hours ago, Qa'im said:

I didnt receive anything

Never mind. I have read my post from wednesday a few times more,  and maybe I understand your warning. I know Muslims (and also many Christians) believe prophets like Moses and older are real persons. What I meant was that secular historians (and many Christians inkluding me) do not believe so. Sorry for having expressed me clumpsy.

2 hours ago, M.IB said:

I am sure you talking about Israelites sons of Jacob/Israel [as].

Didn't Jews have some sort of making a prophet an angel/son of God/God ?

The Jewish Bible (old testament) repetely talks about Israelites worshipping other Gods. From the times of Moses around 3.300 years ago til the Tora was written 2.500 years ago. Roughly speaking. It also say Abraham grew up in a polytheistic society, becoming monotheist but that was maybe 500 years before Noses.

Dont know what you mean by Jews making angels/sons of God from prophets.