sidnaq

is mcdonalds dying?

There's a thought the millennial generation is moving away from the "old guard" fast food in favor of the "health brand" and "fast casual" places like Subway, Chipotle, Panera etc, especially as the price difference narrows.

But McDonalds is still on top, is still powerful, and adapts to changing circumstances. They will be around for quite some time, in one form or another.

12 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Here's their share price graph. McDonalds dying? Doesn't look like it does it.

mcd.jpeg.438e7a926547eac4c260fb162cda3fc7.jpeg

Eh, stock prices are based on pure speculation.

Better indicator would be to look at their books. (which I am sure are also in good shape)

I for one hate McDonald's because for years I was eating their french fries without knowing it has fricking beef flavoring. Who the hell puts that in french fries? (for those of you in the UK and Canada, don't worry this doesn't apply to your market)

12 hours ago, Marbles said:

@sidnaq

Mcdonald's might not be the busiest junk food joint in North America but it is definitely gaining new markets and expanding exponentially in place where hitherto it didn't have a presence. 

Our city got our first ever McDonald's last year in 2016. The queues are baffling.

Earlier this year a new franchise opened about 150 KM away from here in a smaller town. Again, the queues are baffling.

The most humiliating McD's queue was in the USSR. Epic fail for them. The lines went on for miles, if I remember correctly.

15 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Eh, stock prices are based on pure speculation.

Better indicator would be to look at their books.

Share prices can be a function of speculation, but to pull it off over a 30 year period would be very impressive indeed.

A small measure of their success is indeed attributable to the humble french fries. The profit margins on these are way more than for the burgers and when they offer to supersize - the money made is even greater still. Same applies to the Coke they sell.

In a way, the burgers are just a tool for selling the fries and coke. And as for the salads, they're just to overcome customers' guilt in crossing over the store threshold. Once over it, people order something more 'filling'.

7 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Once over it, people order something more 'filling'.

Or cheaper! I don't know about McDonald's salads, but usually fast food salads cost twice as much as a normal size sandwich and small fries. The entree salads are usually considered a premium item. 

Best fast food in the United States are Fazolis and Taco Bell. Both have plenty of vegetarian options or will leave off meat without ruining the meal. No national chain in the US serves halal meat, as far as I know. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

Best fast food in the United States are Fazolis and Taco Bell. Both have plenty of vegetarian options or will leave off meat without ruining the meal. No national chain in the US serves halal meat, as far as I know. 

Taco Bell is very serious about separating their meat from non-meat items. I think it is because of some legal trouble they ran into with a Hindu fellow.

On 11/09/2017 at 7:57 PM, M.IB said:

According to our Sunni brothers meat from Christians and Jews is permitted, but for Shias it is totally different.

Jbeil is a christian-dominated, I am from there but I never saw a Halal restaurant, every thing there like McDonald's and Hardees gets it's meat from places like Australia and N.America and Europe as well...although once I heard that KFC is halal and gets it's meat from a farm belonging to a Shia owner at Lebanon, she was religious and telling me that, although I won't trust till I see with my eyes....

Salam

It's a widely popular belief that meat in every Lebanese restaurant is halal according to law. Exception is made for remote areas like in moutains.

Not sure how reliable this is.