Rate this topic

Anyone who meets Prophet. In Surah Yusuf, people in jail with Hazrat Yusuf (A.S) were his companions. 

12:39 O [my] two companions of prison, are separate lords better or Allah, the One, the Prevailing?

6 hours ago, SIAR14 said:

Anyone who meets Prophet. In Surah Yusuf, people in jail with Hazrat Yusuf (A.S) were his companions. 

12:39 O [my] two companions of prison, are separate lords better or Allah, the One, the Prevailing?

Good point.

يَا صَاحِبَيِ السِّجْنِ أَأَرْبَابٌ مُّتَفَرِّقُونَ خَيْرٌ أَمِ اللَّهُ الْوَاحِدُ الْقَهَّارُ

Ya sahibayi alssijni aarbabun mutafarriqoona khayrun ami Allahu alwahidu alqahharu

3 hours ago, wolverine said:

Good point.

يَا صَاحِبَيِ السِّجْنِ أَأَرْبَابٌ مُّتَفَرِّقُونَ خَيْرٌ أَمِ اللَّهُ الْوَاحِدُ الْقَهَّارُ

Ya sahibayi alssijni aarbabun mutafarriqoona khayrun ami Allahu alwahidu alqahharu

9 hours ago, SIAR14 said:

So the companions may be non-Muslim? 

17 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Not sunni but from what I know, having met the Prophet (sawas) once in a lifetime suffices, as long as the person was a Muslim at that time. 

Thats my understanding as well I just wan't to hear from Sunni brothers. 

Some Arabic speakers need to describe what the word sahaba really means back in the days of the Holy Prophet (S). The word sahaba used in today's linguistics might be slightly different in meaning. 

The standard sunni definition is someone who meets/sees (even for a minute) the prophet while believing in him and dies with that belief, although this definition doesn't come from any hadith or ayah and has no evidence for it. It just comes from sunni theology and how sunnism developed with the belief all sahaba are de facto good so they have a definition to support said theology. It is important to use the the linguistic as it is the only one that makes sense and even hadith in bukhari says [some] companions will become apostates after the death of the prophet (sawa).

Anyone who has seen or talked to Prophet Muhammad(pbuh).

Unfortunately it has become a part of the Sunni belief to accept the total decency of the first 3 companions regardless of their disobedience to Prophet Muhammad(pbuh). It has become part of their belief that they should be blindly followed and not questioned at all.

They say Imamah is a pillar of our faith, Well bowing down to Aisha, Abu Bakar, Umar etc has become a pillar of their faith.

the sunni view is that any one who met the prophet pbuh as a muslim and died as such is a sahabi. i agree this is not a definition from quran or hadith.

from what i have found from quran and hadith, sahabi means two things. either one who met the prophet pbuh. could be a muslim. or a munafiq, dont know if non muslims count. but i dont think shia and sunnis would have any issue on ignoring the non muslims here. the second definition is for the saabiqoon al awwaloon only. not all the sahaba.

2 hours ago, just a muslim said:

the sunni view is that any one who met the prophet pbuh as a muslim and died as such is a sahabi. i agree this is not a definition from quran or hadith.

from what i have found from quran and hadith, sahabi means two things. either one who met the prophet pbuh. could be a muslim. or a munafiq, dont know if non muslims count. but i dont think shia and sunnis would have any issue on ignoring the non muslims here. the second definition is for the saabiqoon al awwaloon only. not all the sahaba.

Salam,

That's why I believe the term 'Sahaba' was a mean to make unjust rulers look good only because they met the Prophet s.a.w.a.s. while in the Holy Quran this says nothing at all. Saabiqoon al-Awaloon and those who became muslim after the conquest of Mecca are according to this standard both Sahaba and should be treated the same.

And so Muawiyah became the equal of Imam Ali a.s.

Edited by Faruk

7 hours ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

That's why I believe the term 'Sahaba' was a mean to make unjust rulers look good only because they met the Prophet s.a.w.a.s. while in the Holy Quran this says nothing at all. Saabiqoon al-Awaloon and those who became muslim after the conquest of Mecca are according to this standard both Sahaba and should be treated the same.

And so Muawiyah became the equal of Imam Ali a.s.

i personally dont believe muawiyah was anywhere near the same league as Hz Ali AS. but i dont think most of the sunnis do so either. i may be wrong about others.

9 hours ago, just a muslim said:

i personally dont believe muawiyah was anywhere near the same league as Hz Ali AS. but i dont think most of the sunnis do so either. i may be wrong about others.

So its safe to say people who claimed to be muslims and met prophet (PBUH) are sahabas. Please correct me if i am wrong. 

i do not say this. the prophet pbuh himself referred to such people as sahabi. there are two definitions. one is the literal one. which is this. the second is of the saabiqoon al awwaloon. both are from ahadith.

having said that, since we do not know what is in the hearts of the people, i do not call any "companion" a hypocrite unless the prophet pbuh told us, no matter how sinful that companion seems to be. but obviously, that companion wont be from among the saabiqoon al awwaloon. and i wont praise that companion in any extra way either. and i wont hold it against anyone if they make dua to Allah to forgive that companion, for if the companion was not a hypocrite, then even you shouldnt have a problem, and if he was, then it wont be any use to him. simple.

5 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

So its safe to say people who claimed to be muslims and met prophet (PBUH) are sahabas. Please correct me if i am wrong. 

Yes and died Muslims i.e did not participate in apostasy uprising against Abu bakr or repented after that 

14 hours ago, just a muslim said:

No they don't 

There is no Sunni scholar who claims that IMHO

12 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Yes and died Muslims i.e did not participate in apostasy uprising against Abu bakr or repented after that 

bismillah.gif

إِذَا جَاءَكَ الْمُنَافِقُونَ قَالُوا نَشْهَدُ إِنَّكَ لَرَسُولُ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ إِنَّكَ لَرَسُولُهُ وَاللَّهُ يَشْهَدُ إِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ لَكَاذِبُونَ {1}

[Shakir 63:1] When the hypocrites come to you, they say: We bear witness that you are most surely Allah's Messenger; and Allah knows that you are most surely His Messenger, and Allah bears witness that the hypocrites are surely liars.

Does it mean that sahabas could be munafiq?  :blush:

6 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

bismillah.gif

إِذَا جَاءَكَ الْمُنَافِقُونَ قَالُوا نَشْهَدُ إِنَّكَ لَرَسُولُ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ إِنَّكَ لَرَسُولُهُ وَاللَّهُ يَشْهَدُ إِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ لَكَاذِبُونَ {1}

[Shakir 63:1] When the hypocrites come to you, they say: We bear witness that you are most surely Allah's Messenger; and Allah knows that you are most surely His Messenger, and Allah bears witness that the hypocrites are surely liars.

Does it mean that sahabas could be munafiq?  :blush:

yes, according the the literal definition. the prophet pbuh himself referred to the hypocrites as companions. but not the saabiqoon al awwaloon. surah taubah 9:101 itself says there are munafiqeen around the prophet pbuh but he doesnt know them.

btw, this ayah is very specific about abdullah ibn ubay ibn salul and his party, as far as i remember.

this is what the Quran says (apparently) about munafik.

[9:66] Do not make excuses; you have disbelieved indeed after having believed;

AFAIK, Abdullah bin Ubai (the leader of munafik in madinah) never believed in islam voluntarily. correct me if i'm wrong.