ali_fatheroforphans

Message to the gym freaks

Rate this topic

Salam,

Rich Piana, an American bodybuilder aged 46 died after collapsing. I saw some of his picture, and I'm sure everyone will agree that he is massive.

May his soul rest in peace. I am not writing this to judge him or talk about his life in anyway. It's just that I feel a strong message can be taken from this tradegy.

I feel this is a big wake up call for all the brothers out there who purely focus on their body. Like you can be so buff and ripped, but does it really matter? once your body will be turned into dust. Should we really be spending our whole life to build a body? should that really be our ultimate goal?

I just feel so empty thinking about people who are so buff but have no faith. Such people seem like mechanical beings to me. We may be able to lift 120 kg of weights, but we're nothing when our soul will be snatched away. We think we're really strong, but when death comes then it's all over. 

This whole bodybuilding hype is something that is a huge distraction for a lot of the Muslim youth. Eating so much unessesarry food, drinking protein shakes, creatine etc just to inflate your muscles and make your shirts a bit more tight. We watch TV shows etc and feel that we need to be all buff to be considered attractive. This can even affect our spirituality, even though we may not notice. 

I know going to the gym is very healthy and I go myself, but we shouldn't be this obsessed about it. Gym should never be our life and it should never distract us from fulfilling our obligations. We need to focus on our soul which will remain for eternity. Islam is a religion of balance. 

What is the true percentage of Gym freaks, and how long will they all keep this up?.

Guys like Rich were body builders and such was their career. Eating load of food and shakes is to gain a surplus in building muscle. BCAA's is to heal quickly and creatine is to increase strength while  just adding water weight into the muscle. Steroids is where the problem is, quick gains without putting in ten years and droids only work for few types of bodies. Both male and female living near the beaches will be more prone to having a good body. One can train three times a week and cardio twice, while having a good diet, can achieve a lean body. That is almost around five hours. Hard with full time work.

Many guys at your age will give up the gym once they start working full time or perhaps by 30 it will be out. Considering that to build a good physique takes years of dedication and consistency, many just go through a phase, where they build a bit of muscle and start to wear tight shirts.

I would not worry too much about this. Let people do what they want, I am sure those who attempt it properly, are better then those who just watch television/fb/Yt all day.

55 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

This whole bodybuilding hype is something that is a huge distraction for a lot of the Muslim youth. Eating so much unessesarry food, drinking protein shakes, creatine etc just to inflate your muscles and make your shirts a bit more tight. We watch TV shows etc and feel that we need to be all buff to be considered attractive. This can even affect our spirituality, even though we may not notice. 

I know going to the gym is very healthy and I go myself, but we shouldn't be this obsessed about it. Gym should never be our life and it should never distract us from fulfilling our obligations. We need to focus on our soul which will remain for eternity. Islam is a religion of balance. 

I agree with you on this. I know many friends who have been swallowed up in the gym life. Their progress in basic religious affairs isn't improving. Nor is their political knowledge increasing. Of course, not everyone should enjoy politics or religious rules, but having a basic understanding of what is going on is handy in debates outside your comfort zone. It is important to be politically woke and understand the hypocrisy in nowadays politics and social decision the government makes. Truly, nowadays politics is nothing more than people trying to hold their power without following a little bit of the truth. I feel as if this new "youth gym life" standard is a deception so that people will not grow interest in political affairs or religious understanding.

I am not saying that working out is evil. But taking it to the level where you are distracted from your daily obligations is not correct. Some bulkers tell me what they are doing is for when it is time for jihad. Being buff doesn't necessarily mean you are invincible during war. The 8 years of war on the islamic revolution didn't have a lot of "buff" people on both sides. War is about tactics, quantity and courage. Not about muscle power.

Working out is great. It helps you from getting distracted and keeps your brains and body healthy and fit. However, as @ali_fatheroforphans has mentioned: having an imbalance is always not correct. The philosophy of the body is that it needs balance.

This gym life trend is not only affecting muslim youth. It is also alienating non-muslims living in the West. I have had friends who started to grow bigger and bigger. They started using hormones and did not care for the side-effects. Whenever we would have a political discussion, they would retreat and say that it is not worth it discussing. Hence the reason why I think that this pro-bulking gym life is made up to keep the youth busy and distracted from their priorities.

Our ancestors were strong without protein shakes. You don't need that in your body. Train moderately and don't neglect your obligations. Don't forget to gain knowledge.

13 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Agree with you on this!

Even the strongest man is still so weak compared to an elephant and honestly spoken, people walk around as if they are superman but they can get their butts beaten by micro organism that are so small that they cannot even see, then when the big muscle guy gets sick you will see him crying like a baby.

Its funny how some human think they are so powerful, yet they do not even control the beats of their own hearts.

Its important that we do everything fi sabilillah, even the acquiring of strength. Working out can either be a chase for superficial motives, a slavery to ones ego or it can be a form of worship to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, the niya makes all the difference.