Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

Okay I am curious about Shia form of mysticism. We Sunnis have Sufism and Tariqas. What are the types of mysticism practiced by Shias and I would like a brief explanation about them and their practices.

You are asking the wrong guys.  You are better off reading about it. 

I recommend you read:

two books:

1)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0791452387/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503797809&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=kernel+of+the+kernel&dpPl=1&dpID=51DtEW4ozHL&ref=plSrch

2)

https://www.amazon.com/Treatise-Spiritual-Journeying-Wayfaring-al-Ulum/dp/1567448321

this will do the job.  

Read the table of contents and you will see thag this is precisley precisely the information you are seeking.  I know because I know where you are coming from. :)

1 hour ago, SunniBrother said:

Okay I am curious about Shia form of mysticism. We Sunnis have Sufism and Tariqas. What are the types of mysticism practiced by Shias and I would like a brief explanation about them and their practices.

Quran and Ahlul Bayth (A.S). 

Edited by SIAR14

3 hours ago, SunniBrother said:

In shia there is irfan. And other word for it is sayer wa suluk. It is journey slef purification which ends with union with Allah. 

4 hours ago, islam25 said:

In shia there is irfan. And other word for it is sayer wa suluk. It is journey slef purification which ends with union with Allah. 

Originally in Shiaism it was referred to simply as "Tasawwuf".  In fact it still is referred to as "tasawwuf" in many classical texts.  But due to political reasons during the Safavid Empire (which marked the beginning of a Shiite rule) the word "tasawwuf" was discouraged and replaced by "irfan".  The funny thing now is that "Irfan" is thought of as something essentially different from "Tasawwuf".  But the truth is that the Shia urafa like Bahr al-Ulum clearly were influenced by Sunni turuq like Naqshabandiyya.  And there is good reason to think that the Shadhilliyah Tariqah also has some influence on Shiasm to the extent that we can find certain phrases of a Shadhiliy Sufi Master (Ibn Ataillah) inserted into Dua Arafa.  

The point I am making is that there is a spiritually unifying force that lies beyond Shiasm and Sunnism that, if all of us tapped into. we would not have any need to spend time in useless intra-faith arguments between Shiaism and Sunnism.   

Edited by eThErEaL

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

Originally in Shiaism it was referred to simply as "Tasawwuf".  In fact it still is referred to as "tasawwuf" in many classical texts.  But due to political reasons during the Safavid Empire (which marked the beginning of a Shiite rule) the word "tasawwuf" was discouraged and replaced by "irfan".  The funny thing now is that "Irfan" is thought of as something essentially different from "Tasawwuf".  But the truth is that the Shia urafa like Bahr al-Ulum clearly were influenced by Sunni turuq like Naqshabandiyya.  And there is good reason to think that the Shadhilliyah Tariqah also has some influence on Shiasm to the extent that we can find certain phrases of a Shadhiliy Sufi Master (Ibn Ataillah) inserted into Dua Arafa.  

The point I am making is that there is a spiritually unifying force that lies beyond Shiasm and Sunnism that, if all of us tapped into. we would not have any need to spend time in useless intra-faith arguments between Shiaism and Sunnism.   

That is true irfan and sofism has been used synonymously having same meaning and understanding. Both have common principles, practice and goal. 

8 hours ago, SunniBrother said:

The Irfan (mysticism) Ahlulbayt (as) teached is different from what Sufi Orders or Tariqats teach.

Check out these links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQakze06P3Q

http://www.alqatrah.net/en/an125

We recommend leaving the worldy attractions aside and focus on Allah and religious affairs, however, many Sufi beliefs are deviant. Example, Wahdatul Wujood contradicts our teachings. We believe that Allah is separated from His creation and His creation is not a manifestation of Him, contrary from what Sufi Orders believe.

Narrated from Imam Al Sadiq (as): "God is absolutely independent of all His creatures and all His creatures have absolutely nothing in common with Him. And to whatsoever the expression ‘thing’ is applicable is a creature except God and God is the Creator of everything, blessed is He, naught is as His likeness and He is the All-Hearing and All-Seeing”. (al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 82)

And.....

<span>A group of our companions from Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Khalid al-Barqi from his father from an-Nadhr b. Suwayd from Yahya al-Halbi from Ibn Miskan from Zurara b. A`yan. He said: I heard Abu `Abdillah (as) saying: Verily Allah is devoid (khilw) of His creation and His creation is devoid of Him. Everything upon which there befalls a name, save for Allah, is a creature and Allah is the Creator of every thing. Blessed (be He) Who there is nothing like Him and He is the Hearing, the Seeing\

Many Shi'a scholars have condemned such beliefs, especially Shirazis and their likes.

Even our Imams (as) have condemned Sufis:

It has also been reported that Al-Hussain bin Abul Khattab said: “One day, I was with Abul Hassan al-Hadi (peace be upon him) in the mosque of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his pure family) when some of his companions, among whom was Abu Hashim al-Ja’fari, came to him. Abu Hashim was an eloquent man and had a high position near Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him). “While we were standing, a group of Sufis came into the mosque. They sat in a corner of the mosque and began saying ‘La Ilaha Illallah’ (i.e. there is no God but Allah). Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) turned towards his companions and said to them: ‘Do not pay attention to these deceivers for they are allies of the Devils and destroyers of the bases of religion. ‘They become ascetic to relieve their bodies and watch to hunt cattle…they do not practice rites except to deceive people, and do not decrease food except to…cheat the fool…their worships are but dancing and clapping, and their praises are but singing. No one follows them except the stupid, and no one believes in them except the fool. Whoever went to visit any of them alive or dead as if he went to visit Satan and idolaters, and whoever supported any of them, as if he supported, Mu’awiya, Yazid, and Abu Sufyan…’ “Then one of the companions said, ‘Even if he acknowledges your rights?’ Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) scolded him and SHOUTED: ‘Do not say that! He, who acknowledges our rights, does not disobey us. Do you not know that they are the worst group of Sufis?! Though all Sufis are dissentient to us and their way is contrary to ours. They are but Christians and magi of this nation. They do their best to put out the light of Allah with their mouths, and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the unbelievers are averse…’” (Hadiqatul Shi’ah, by al-Ardabili, p. 602).

When Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) was asked about Sufis, he answered: “they are our enemies, whoever is inclined towards them then he's one of them and will be resurrected with them. There will be people who claim they love us but they are inclined towards them and they try to be like them, call themselves with their name, and say what they say, whoever is inclined towards them he's not from us and we are innocent from him and whoever rejects them and refutes them he's like someone who performed Jihad against the disbelievers with the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his pure family)” (Safinatul Bihar, by al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 57).

“Their wealthy pillage the provision of their poor. Their young precede their old, and every ignorant to them is an authority, and every assignee to them is poor. They do not differentiate between the sincere and the doubtful, nor do they know the sheep from wolves. Their scholars are the most evil of God’s creation on the face of earth, because they incline towards Philosophy and Sufism. By Allah! They are of the enemies and people of distortion. They exaggerate in their love for our opponents and they misguide our Shi’a and Followers.” (Safinatul Bihar, By al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 58).

10 hours ago, SunniBrother said:

Quran and Ahlulbayt (AS) . What more is required??? :)

Edited by AfricanShia

12 hours ago, islam25 said:

Is there any basis in the Quran and Ahlulbayt for some sort of "journey" where you "unite with Allah?"

3 minutes ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Is there any basis in the Quran and Ahlulbayt for some sort of "journey" where you "unite with Allah?"

Definitely it all based on quran and Ahlebayt 

11 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Excellent points 

Please share more about this issue esp mysticism in pre Islamic middle East  and central Asia if you  words 

Can Hanifs be the  possible primordial sufis in Islam? 

Well for what I have been tough the purpose of the religion and revelation is to make you a better person and perfect your character. That is spoken is the Qur'an as taskya and naf. And we have concepts such as Ahklaq. All this concepts are crystallized in the science of Sufism or tawwasuf. This is what I learned. Interesting enough we both Sunnis and Shias think that wahhabis are satanic because of their opposition to this aspect of Islam. How we explain imam Maliki and Imam Abu Hanifa studying with Imam Ja'afar? This people were mystics. Imam Abu Hanifa donated to Imam Zaydi ibn Ali cause to revolt against the caliph, and yet Imam Zayd was killed by some Shias at the time for refusing to speak bad of Abu Bakr and Omar. And hence the ones who coined the term rafida were the Zaydi Shias and later Sunnis adopted to refer to the ithna ashari. Yet Imam Ja'afar was deeply saddened by the death of Zayd ibn Ali. We have many tariqa in Sunni Islam that have Imam Ja'afar in the sisilah but both Shias and wahhabis would consider this blasphemous because the naqshbandi sisiliah have both Abu Bakr and Imam Ja'afar in it.

3 hours ago, islam25 said:

Definitely it all based on quran and Ahlebayt 

Nope. Refer to my above post where I disprove the doctrine of:

3 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

some sort of "journey" where you "unite with Allah?"

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235052019-mysticism/?do=findComment&comment=3075463

Well for what I have been tough the purpose of the religion and revelation is to make you a better person and perfect your character. That is spoken is the Qur'an as taskya and naf. And we have concepts such as Ahklaq. All this concepts are crystallized in the science of Sufism or tawwasuf. This is what I learned. Interesting enough we both Sunnis and Shias think that wahhabis are satanic because of their opposition to this aspect of Islam. How we explain imam Maliki and Imam Abu Hanifa studying with Imam Ja'afar? This people were mystics. Imam Abu Hanifa donated to Imam Zaydi ibn Ali cause to revolt against the caliph, and yet Imam Zayd was killed by some Shias at the time for refusing to speak bad of Abu Bakr and Omar. And hence the ones who coined the term rafida were the Zaydi Shias and later Sunnis adopted to refer to the ithna ashari. Yet Imam Ja'afar was deeply saddened by the death of Zayd ibn Ali. We have many tariqa in Sunni Islam that have Imam Ja'afar in the sisilah but both Shias and wahhabis would consider this blasphemous because the naqshbandi sisiliah have both Abu Bakr and Imam Ja'afar in it.

All Sunni tariqas branched off from Shaykh Abdul Qadir's (qs) tariqah (Qadiriyyah Order).  They all run through him.  And Shaykh Abdul Qadir (qaddasallahu sirruhu) is a descendant, spiritually and as far as bloodline is concerned, of both Imam Hassan (as) and Imam Hussein (as).  

1 hour ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Excellent points 

Please share more about this issue esp mysticism in pre Islamic middle East  and central Asia if you  words 

Can Hanifs be the  possible primordial sufis in Islam? 

Salam,

The Hanifs did not exist within the "Islamic" context (in the sense that they did not follow the Muhammadan Shariah for reasons that are very obvious to everyone).  But, they were certainly "primordial" in the sense that they followed a "primordial religion".  They were like the urafa of the time but they followed the age old rituals of Abraham (as).  The entire Arabian Peninsula was protected by desserts and therefore they were protected from outside influence and so the Hanifs has a religion that was intact and they were true men of God and their spiritual maqams were extraordinarily high.  The Prophet (S) would go to the cave of Hira because that is what serious Hanifs would do (they would meditate and practice muraqaba and fast).    

2 hours ago, Dhulfikar said:

I never hear this before, actually how someone a Shi'i can kill by that reason?

I heard that the Shias refused to take arms with him because he wasn't"pure blood" Ahl al Bayt. And is narrated by Zaydis that the people of Kufa betrayed him asking his opinion about Abu Bakr and Omar. He said he never heard his family speak bad about them and that they ruled according to Qur'an and Sunnah, then they killed him because of this. A Sunni Imam donated to the cause of Imam Zayd, that was Imam Abu Hanifa.

Did

12 hours ago, SheikhAlHabib'fan said:

The Irfan (mysticism) Ahlulbayt (as) teached is different from what Sufi Orders or Tariqats teach.

Check out these links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQakze06P3Q

http://www.alqatrah.net/en/an125

We recommend leaving the worldy attractions aside and focus on Allah and religious affairs, however, many Sufi beliefs are deviant. Example, Wahdatul Wujood contradicts our teachings. We believe that Allah is separated from His creation and His creation is not a manifestation of Him, contrary from what Sufi Orders believe.

Narrated from Imam Al Sadiq (as): "God is absolutely independent of all His creatures and all His creatures have absolutely nothing in common with Him. And to whatsoever the expression ‘thing’ is applicable is a creature except God and God is the Creator of everything, blessed is He, naught is as His likeness and He is the All-Hearing and All-Seeing”. (al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 82)

And.....

<span>A group of our companions from Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Khalid al-Barqi from his father from an-Nadhr b. Suwayd from Yahya al-Halbi from Ibn Miskan from Zurara b. A`yan. He said: I heard Abu `Abdillah (as) saying: Verily Allah is devoid (khilw) of His creation and His creation is devoid of Him. Everything upon which there befalls a name, save for Allah, is a creature and Allah is the Creator of every thing. Blessed (be He) Who there is nothing like Him and He is the Hearing, the Seeing\

Many Shi'a scholars have condemned such beliefs, especially Shirazis and their likes.

Even our Imams (as) have condemned Sufis:

It has also been reported that Al-Hussain bin Abul Khattab said: “One day, I was with Abul Hassan al-Hadi (peace be upon him) in the mosque of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his pure family) when some of his companions, among whom was Abu Hashim al-Ja’fari, came to him. Abu Hashim was an eloquent man and had a high position near Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him). “While we were standing, a group of Sufis came into the mosque. They sat in a corner of the mosque and began saying ‘La Ilaha Illallah’ (i.e. there is no God but Allah). Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) turned towards his companions and said to them: ‘Do not pay attention to these deceivers for they are allies of the Devils and destroyers of the bases of religion. ‘They become ascetic to relieve their bodies and watch to hunt cattle…they do not practice rites except to deceive people, and do not decrease food except to…cheat the fool…their worships are but dancing and clapping, and their praises are but singing. No one follows them except the stupid, and no one believes in them except the fool. Whoever went to visit any of them alive or dead as if he went to visit Satan and idolaters, and whoever supported any of them, as if he supported, Mu’awiya, Yazid, and Abu Sufyan…’ “Then one of the companions said, ‘Even if he acknowledges your rights?’ Imam al-Hadi (peace be upon him) scolded him and SHOUTED: ‘Do not say that! He, who acknowledges our rights, does not disobey us. Do you not know that they are the worst group of Sufis?! Though all Sufis are dissentient to us and their way is contrary to ours. They are but Christians and magi of this nation. They do their best to put out the light of Allah with their mouths, and Allah will not consent save to perfect His light, though the unbelievers are averse…’” (Hadiqatul Shi’ah, by al-Ardabili, p. 602).

When Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) was asked about Sufis, he answered: “they are our enemies, whoever is inclined towards them then he's one of them and will be resurrected with them. There will be people who claim they love us but they are inclined towards them and they try to be like them, call themselves with their name, and say what they say, whoever is inclined towards them he's not from us and we are innocent from him and whoever rejects them and refutes them he's like someone who performed Jihad against the disbelievers with the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his pure family)” (Safinatul Bihar, by al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 57).

“Their wealthy pillage the provision of their poor. Their young precede their old, and every ignorant to them is an authority, and every assignee to them is poor. They do not differentiate between the sincere and the doubtful, nor do they know the sheep from wolves. Their scholars are the most evil of God’s creation on the face of earth, because they incline towards Philosophy and Sufism. By Allah! They are of the enemies and people of distortion. They exaggerate in their love for our opponents and they misguide our Shi’a and Followers.” (Safinatul Bihar, By al-Muhadith al-Qummi, vol. 2, p. 58).

Did it ever occurred to you that this opposition of sufis by Shia imams was because those sufis followed a Sunni aqeedah (I.e not follower of imamiyah) And not because of tawwasuf itself? No Muslim believe Allah and creation is the same. Ashari Muslims believe just like you said, creation and Allah is separated and this explained by Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal. This confusion of Ibn Arabi concept is due to not understanding metaphysics you just sounded like Ibn Taymiyyah opposition to Ibn Arabi.

Shia speaking bad off sufis is a irony. They attack Ibn Taymiyyah and yet sometimes they sound just like him speaking against sufism. That's why Allah gave me Aql to use. If shias are so pure explain me the number of Ghulats that spawned from it and the numerous false Mahdi claimants . Just in the time of Ibn Taymiyyah there was already 700 Mahdi claimants (I also heard this is a issue in Iran like 'ahem' Baha'i Faith..) When Iran converted to shiism it was a Mahdi claimants that attacked the Ottoman empire like a mad dog and sacked Imam Abu Hanifa grave (Just like a wahhabi!)

Shia speaking bad off sufis is a irony. They attack Ibn Taymiyyah and yet sometimes they sound just like him speaking against sufism. That's why Allah gave me Aql to use. If shias are so pure explain me the number of Ghulats that spawned from it and the numerous false Mahdi claimants . Just in the time of Ibn Taymiyyah there was already 700 Mahdi claimants (I also heard this is a issue in Iran like 'ahem' Baha'i Faith..) When Iran converted to shiism it was a Mahdi claimants that attacked the Ottoman empire like a mad dog and sacked Imam Abu Hanifa grave (Just like a wahhabi!)

Mr.Shias doesn't speak bad of sofis. Rather they praise. Yes there may be some ignorant and they can't be helped. 

Yes shia's ara strongly opposite to wahhabies.

4 hours ago, SheikhAlHabib'fan said:

Nope. Refer to my above post where I disprove the doctrine of:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235052019-mysticism/?do=findComment&comment=3075463

Mr.your disapproving carries not weight and base. There are already Arifs who follow irafni understanding of Islam .so your denial are talking bad about them carries no sense. 

If you have something new irfan to teach  let masses know.

2 minutes ago, islam25 said:

Mr.Shias doesn't speak bad of sofis. Rather they praise. Yes there may be some ignorant and they can't be helped. 

Yes shia's ara strongly opposite to wahhabies.

Good. We both hate wahhabis. Lets unite on that and not some sectarian believe that spawned after the killing of uthman and developed under corrupt 'caliphates' who use Islam as political springboard.

37 minutes ago, SunniBrother said:

Good. We both hate wahhabis. Lets unite on that and not some sectarian believe that spawned after the killing of uthman and developed under corrupt 'caliphates' who use Islam as political springboard.

Yes. That is good. But practicality a little bit difficult.