Just now, Islandsandmirrors said:

I'm sorry you're feeling depressed due to your weight. :( 

Lol. Nvm. Imma sleep. Gn. KH.

6 hours ago, Qa'im said:

Sounds underweight to me. I'm 5 foot 8, when I was 16 I weighed around 155 pounds, and I was average among my schoolmates (23.6 BMI), and I wasn't really lifting weights yet. You're 3 inches taller and 20 pounds less. You'll definitely gain more weight in the next few years though (bone density, muscle, fat), and granted I hit puberty really early. In your position I would take more proteins and start going to the weight gym. Your weight is fine overall.

I already exercise alot and lift weights. 

47 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Is this bad?

This doesn't make sense because I'm not that underweight. 

9.8 means = death and concentration camp starvation. 

In other words, think worse than Eugenia cooney. 

I think you may have miscalculated somewhere. 

6 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I am apparently 19.7, can't be right because I feel underweight.

You may feel that way because

1. maybe you don't have as much muscle definition

2. Other people around you are too big, therefore, you may believe that being on the thinner side of healthy is underweight.

Remember that most people in the States are too big for their frames, so you're normal. People tell me that I'm "too skinny" and need to gain weight, but in actuality, I'm at a healthy weight for my frame and height, and majority of the girls in college, for example, are at least 30-40 pounds heavier than me. (Aka overweight)

In other countries, like Eastern European and many Middle Eastern countries, I'm considered average. 

My SO has a BMI of 22-23 at 5'8 and he even thinks he's "too skinny" and wants to bulk up because people around him at his age (he's 28) where he lives are heavier, wether by fat or by muscle. Personally, I think he looks great and not too thin at all, he's got muscles. He's fit, no belly (not that it matters, because I would still be with him even he had a gut but just trying to point out that no matter what, people generally can find flaws within themselves because we are our own worst critics.) yet he still wants to work out, which is fine, since working out makes him happy.

It's all about perception in the end. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

45 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

1. maybe you don't have as much muscle definition

That's probably it, but here's the issue for me; I don't want to be muscular but at the same time, I would like to be able to stop feeling my ribs. I wouldn't consider it a flaw in myself but I do wish that I didn't feel like a bag of bones. I want to be comfortable and healthy.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

51 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

That's probably it, but here's the issue for me; I don't want to be muscular but at the same time, I would like to be able to stop feeling my ribs. I wouldn't consider it a flaw in myself but I do wish that I didn't feel like a bag of bones.

I know how you feel. Nothing a little protein and more calories and workouts can't fix.

I feel my ribs as well, but I don't show my ribs unless I stretch, and even then, it's only a hint of ribs showing. I used to show a lot more ribs before even just a couple of years ago despite being the same height and weight. They say body fat percentage increases as you get older. 

For some people, showing a hint of ribs is healthy. And again, people carry weight differently. Lots of people my height and weight (on mybodygallery) have tinier torsos than me, and show no ribs. Others are shredded and could pass for female fitness competitors. 

23 hours ago, Shaykh Patience101 said:

By the way, if anyone here is underweight and planning to go the gym soon, please stay as far away from treadmills as possible. Doing cardio while trying to gain weight is like shooting yourself in the foot, unless you're prepared to drastically change your diet.

There is a short scrawny guy that comes to gym who thinks he would somehow gain muscle if he runs madly crazily stupidly fast on a treadmill and make noise like a battalion crossing a wooden bridge. Granted, he does weight training too, but I've been trying to convince him to cut down the crazy cardio regime if he wants to gain muscle - to no avail.

Btw, apologies if it's been discussed earlier but BMI is obsolete; it's not a universally accurate measure of health and fitness. Two people with the same BMI might have very different health and fitness conditions.

2 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Btw, apologies if it's been discussed earlier but BMI is obsolete; it's not a universally accurate measure of health and fitness. Two people with the same BMI might have very different health and fitness conditions.

very true!

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

There is a short scrawny guy that comes to gym who thinks he would somehow gain muscle if he runs madly crazily stupidly fast on a treadmill and make noise like a battalion crossing a wooden bridge. Granted, he does weight training too, but I've been trying to convince him to cut down the crazy cardio regime if he wants to gain muscle - to no avail.

I hope someday he falls off the treadmill like that battalion crossing a wooden bridge, knocks some sense into himself, and replaces his cardio regime with hours of deadlifts, over and over again.