Salsabeel

Can humans have two hearts?

Reza

There's a difference between having two spiritual hearts and two physical hearts. 

Message added by Reza

Some animals like the octopus have more than one heart. An octopus has one main, systemic heart that pumps blood to the whole of its body. But it also has two additional hearts, responsible for pumping blood over each of its gills.

Aside from conjoined twins, no human is born with two hearts. But is there a possibility of having two hearts in human body?

1 minute ago, Salsabeel said:

Some animals like the octopus have more than one heart. An octopus has one main, systemic heart that pumps blood to the whole of its body. But it also has two additional hearts, responsible for pumping blood over each of its gills.

Aside from conjoined twins, no human is born with two hearts. But is there a possibility of having two hearts in human body?

Allah created Man destined to one heart. A Man with two hearts would be more pure than a Man with one heart.

13 minutes ago, AfricanShia said:

A Man with two hearts would be more pure than a Man with one heart.

So it seems to me you are positive about the possibility of having two hearts in human body. 

17 minutes ago, AfricanShia said:

Allah created Man destined to one heart

Absolutely correct, 

Surah Al-Ahzab, Verse 4:

مَّا جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِرَجُلٍ مِّن قَلْبَيْنِ فِي جَوْفِهِ 

Allah has not made for any man two hearts within him;

(English - Shakir)

The ayah is not meant to be taken literally, it's a metaphor for people who think they can worship Taghut and Allah at the same time, they can't: they don't have two "hearts", they have only one and it belongs to Allah.

That being said, I am unaware of any people, aside from conjoined twins of having more than one heart. 

11 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

The ayah is not meant to be taken literally, it's a metaphor for people who think they can worship Taghut and Allah at the same time, they can't: they don't have two "hearts", they have only one and it belongs to Allah.

That being said, I am unaware of any people, aside from conjoined twins of having more than one heart. 

Me aswell I think the Ayah meant to have 2 religions/gods ....

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

Sure. Heterotopic (putting a donor heart in the chest while leaving the original in situ) or piggy-back heart transplants, while not very common, are possible.

3 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Every being has it's own structure, Octopus must have much more complex design as compared to human beings. It is due to this that it requires three hearts. 

3 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Some animals like the octopus have more than one heart. .....

A 71-year-old man arrived at an Italian hospital two years ago with symptoms typical of someone experiencing heart trouble.

He was short of breath. He was sweating profusely. And his blood pressure was low.

But when doctors took a closer look, they noticed immediately that this was not the typical patient.

The man had two hearts.

He had undergone a rare heart transplant years ago in which a new organ was paired with the diseased one, according to a report in the Annals of Emergency Medicine.

Source

This verse means:

That is, one and the same person cannot be a believer and a hypocrite, truthful and false, wicked and righteous, at one and the same time. He does not have two hearts in this chest that one should have sincerity in it and the other fearlessness of God. Therefore, a man can have only one kind of character at a time: either he will be a believer or a hypocrite, a disbeliever or a Muslim. Now if you call a believer a hypocrite, or a hypocrite a believer, it will not change the reality. The true character of the person will inevitably remain the same.

6 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I think you are correct because the verse is talking about "Rajul (man)" and not about humanity as a whole.

3 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

This verse means:

That is, one and the same person cannot be a believer and a hypocrite, truthful and false, wicked and righteous, at one and the same time. He does not have two hearts in this chest that one should have sincerity in it and the other fearlessness of God. Therefore, a man can have only one kind of character at a time: either he will be a believer or a hypocrite, a disbeliever or a Muslim. Now if you call a believer a hypocrite, or a hypocrite a believer, it will not change the reality. The true character of the person will inevitably remain the same.

Do we know any human who born with two hearts? Any historical or scientific evidence?

Transplant is a different matter.

13 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Do we know any human who born with two hearts? Any historical or scientific evidence?

No, sorry about that. 

22 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

None as far as I can see. I think you should look at the rest of the verse. @Salsabeel,

Allah has not made for a man two hearts in his interior. And He has not made your wives whom you declare unlawful your mothers. And he has not made your adopted sons your [true] sons. That is [merely] your saying by your mouths, but Allah says the truth, and He guides to the way.

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=33&verse=4

^Here you will see that lirajulin suggests people or any man. Context is everything when reading an ayah in the Quran. Narrowly focusing on a ayah or a part of it can cause confusion and invite disbelief, be careful.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

None as far as I can see. I think you should look at the rest of the verse. @Salsabeel,

Thanks for your valued advise brother.

^Here you will see that lirajulin suggests people or any man. Context is everything when reading an ayah in the Quran. Narrowly focusing on a ayah or a part of it can cause confusion and invite disbelief, be careful.

I will take care of what you mentioned every time. In-sha Allah

l not only agree about reading and understanding ayats in context, but also on how Quran uses the same word elsewhere -Quran is "self-explained"

On 8/8/2017 at 3:43 AM, Salsabeel said:

Never thought about that. But if it is, would it be only good thing come out of it, or will it be also disadvantages?

At this moment we have pair of kidneys and pair of lungs, pair of eyes, ears, legs, arms. So yeah why not as long it is a good thing to have though.