Rate this topic

Myanmar closes mosque in further crackdown on Muslims

bcaea17cab6ae100c77afc64c75950c2.jpg
(AhlulBayt News Agency) - The Myanmar regime has closed a mosque and a seminary in the country’s commercial region of Yangon in further crackdown on Muslims in the Buddhist majority nation.

A local newspaper the Voice Daily claimed that three buildings were chained shut on Wednesday, after it was found that they were being used as a mosque and seminary, without official permission, at Kywe Pone Lay village in Okkan Township, about 100 kilometres north of Yangon. 

Township administrator Myo Lwin claimed that the closure was to prevent problems in Okkan area which had seen an anti-Muslim riot in 2013. 

The riot had begun after a Muslim woman accidentally bumped into a monk, breaking his begging bowl in Okkan town. 

Hundreds of rampaging Buddhists armed with bricks stormed into Muslim villages, calling the accident an assault. 

A Muslim man was killed in the attack. Also, two mosques and 150 houses and shops owned by Muslims were destroyed by the mob. 

The incident in Yangon comes amidst an ongoing brutal crackdown and persecution of ethnic Rohingya Muslims in the country’s Rakhine state. 

The United Nations has established a fact-finding mission to investigate crimes against humanity committed by Myanmar's military during renewed brutal crackdown against Muslims which started last October. 

The country’s de-facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who was awarded the Nobel peace prize in 1991, has been criticized by more than a dozen fellow laureates for the armed response. They wrote an open letter to the UN Security Council warning of a tragedy “amounting to ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity” in Rakhine state. 

Rakhine State in west Myanmar has seen the most serious violence perpetrated against Muslims in predominantly Buddhist Myanmar since the military began to end its decades of strict rule. Reports indicate that thousands of Rohingya Muslims killed and hundreds of thousands displaced there in attacks by government forces and extremists Buddhists since in 2012 in a deliberate state-backed policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide. 

According to the UN, the Rohingya Muslims are one of the most persecuted minorities in the world.

http://en.abna24.com/news/east-asia/myanmar-closes-mosque-in-further-crackdown-on-muslims_845973.html

5 hours ago, Reza said:

The country’s de-facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who was awarded the Nobel peace prize in 1991

The nobel peace prize means absolutely nothing, Obama who was a war president, Mr Drone killer, also got a peace prize by the nobel committee.

May Allah swt hasten the return of our Imam and the bringing of justice.

5 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

I am surprised that previously when Rohingya Muslims were persecuted, no any Muslim country including my country Pakistan and Iran issued any statement in protest. 

Yeah, I'm surprised that Shia scholars (especially Iran) haven't made any statements.Though the mosque Imam here did make a statement for the oppressed in Myanmar, and Malaysia sent a response team there with food aid and stuff for refugees, it's still not enough.

7 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Yeah, I'm surprised that Shia scholars (especially Iran) haven't made any statements.Though the mosque Imam here did make a statement for the oppressed in Myanmar, and Malaysia sent a response team there with food aid and stuff for refugees, it's still not enough.

It is responsibility of Whole Islamic Ummah especially countries with influence such as Pakistan, Iran and Arab countries in Middle East to raise voice for these people, I did not mean that only one country should raise voice but all countries that has influence. 

Iran has been sending aid to the Rohingya people on the border with Bangladesh. 

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2017/09/17/535421/myanmar-rohingya-red-crescent

Iran's Press TV has 108 videos about the tragedy of the Rohingya people. Some videos are 20+ minutes in length. The #1 in the playlist is the newest one. If you want to watch them in chronological order, you need to scroll down to #108. (Numbers will change as new videos are added, just scroll down to the bottom of the playlist.)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNB-69ClKQNWgCjr64dJG65n7Tl7JW5Tu 

15Nov17

1] We have a previous post from years ago: http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235008031-lying-about-burma/ 

2] l heard All Things Considered for this date at 1642hrsEST on NPR. The Guest was Maung Zarni from the Cambodian Democratic Center who personally knows Aung San Suu Kyi and was an active supporter of hers in the first 15 years of her movement. He specializes in ethnic cleansing/genocide in Buddhist countries.

ln the interview, Maung Zarni said the Aung San is an "anti-Muslim racist", lsIamophobe, and "a big part of the problem".

The program also said that the Rohingya  are targeted in a manner out of the Nazi playbook. Blamed for all sorts of real or imagined problems within Myanmar. [Similar tactics were used against the Christian Kochina -ed.] 

Since the 1960s, the Burma military have proclaimed that Rohingya are a "threat to the national security" for being Muslim and because the Rankine province is adjacent to Bangladesh.

You can hear the ~3minute interview: https://www.npr.org/2017/11/15/564443814/in-myanmar-the-persecution-of-the-muslim-minority-the-rohingya-continues 

Regardless if you're Sunni or Shi'a, black or white we are all Muslims and this is an issue all Muslims should unite on and we have an obligation as Muslims to protect our brothers and sisters all over the world. I heard a story where a Muslim women in Myanmar had her baby taken from her by the army and threw the poor soul into a fire. If I was there I wish I could have done what was just and taken the life of the man who would do such a thing. :'( 

9 hours ago, Wholehearted Shi'a said:

Regardless if you're Sunni or Shi'a, black or white we are all Muslims and this is an issue all Muslims should unite on and we have an obligation as Muslims to protect our brothers and sisters all over the world. I heard a story where a Muslim women in Myanmar had her baby taken from her by the army and threw the poor soul into a fire. If I was there I wish I could have done what was just and taken the life of the man who would do such a thing. :'( 

As in the NPR broadcast, Buddhist priests are promoting any persecution of Muslims saying "it is not bad-karma".

16Nov17

On NHK's Tokyo Newsroom was an interview/report of/by Aiko Doden a Senior Commentator for NHK, Columbia U. alumnae (MA in Int'I Relations) and posted in Bangkok and elsewhere was commenting on U.S. Sec.of State Tillerson's  4 hour stop in Myanmar where he met with the head of the military and Aung Sang Suu Kyi-ller. ln Doden's report, she said that Aung San Suu Kyi-ller insisted on a joint news conference so she could portray the US as "still standing with Myanmar" and as such bolster he domestic support.