Zavon

Why should I pick shia Islam and not sunni?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, King-Ali said:

Why should I follow Shia Islam and not Sunni Islam?

If you believe in the following you are a shia:

Tawheed (oneness on Allah)
Adl (Justice of Allah)
Nubuwah (Prophethood of Muhammad (saw)
Imamah (Belief in the 12 Imams as the leaders of the Ummah after the Prophet)
Qiyamah (Day of Judgement)

Most Sunnis have a problem with Imamah of course. 

We read Al-Fatiha in salah every day:

[Shakir 1:1] In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
[Shakir 1:2] All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.
[Shakir 1:3] The Beneficent, the Merciful.
[Shakir 1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
[Shakir 1:5] Thee do we serve and Thee do we beseech for help.
[Shakir 1:6] Keep us on the right path.
[Shakir 1:7] The path of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed favors. Not (the path) of those upon whom Thy wrath is brought down, nor of those who go astray.

The Prophet said He is leaving behind the Quran and his AhlulBayt. The AhlulBayt are those referred to in the Ayah 7.

So following Imams is following the path of those upon whom Allah has bestowed favors

Not following their path means following the path of "those upon whom Thy wrath is brought down, nor of those who go astray."

1 hour ago, King-Ali said:

Yes. I know. But I feel like drowning when I dig in too deep especially when I do it alone.

@King-Ali Here you go brother. This is a short hadith from Sunni book Sahih Muslim, which happens to be their second most reliable book, or some would say first.

" It has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs. Then the Prophet (ﷺ) said something which I could not understand. I asked my father: What did he say? He said: He has said that all of them (twelve Caliphs) will be from the Quraish. "

حَدَّثَنَا هَدَّابُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ الأَزْدِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ سِمَاكِ بْنِ حَرْبٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ جَابِرَ بْنَ سَمُرَةَ، يَقُولُ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏"‏ لاَ يَزَالُ
الإِسْلاَمُ عَزِيزًا إِلَى اثْنَىْ عَشَرَ خَلِيفَةً ‏"‏ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ قَالَ كَلِمَةً لَمْ أَفْهَمْهَا فَقُلْتُ لأَبِي مَا قَالَ فَقَالَ ‏"‏ كُلُّهُمْ مِنْ قُرَيْشٍ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference  : Sahih Muslim 1821 d
In-book reference  : Book 33, Hadith 8
USC-MSA web (English) reference  : Book 20, Hadith 4480

(deprecated numbering scheme)

Now here is the thing. If you ask any other school in islam to name you twelve rightful, just leaders in the history of islam, they can not. They may name up to 8, but that is it. Twelver shi'ism is the only school in islam that can name twelve leaders.

*IMPORTANT
Also, the fact that Sunnism has waaaay more people than Shiism plays a common role in people becoming Sunni rather than Shia. But the Quran would obviously warn us about this - [ Quran 6:116 ] -

" And if you obey the majority of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allah . They follow not except assumption, and they are not but falsifying. "

If you need more information, I am happy to help!

الإمامُ عليٌّ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): لا شَرَفَ أعلى مِنَ الإسلامِ 

Imam Ali (AS) said,

'There is no distinction higher than Islam.’

Nahj al-Balagha, Saying 371  

الإمامُ عليٌّ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ): إنّ هذا الإسلامَ دِينُ اللّه‏ِ الذي اصطَفاهُ لِنفسِهِ ، واصطَنَعَهُ على عَينِهِ ، وأصفاهُ خِيَرَةَ خَلقِهِ ، وأقامَ دَعائمَهُ على مَحَبَّتِهِ ، أذَلَّ الأديانَ بِعِزَّتِهِ ، ووَضَعَ المِلَلَ بِرَفعِهِ 

Imam Ali (AS) said,

'Verily this Islam is the religion of Allah, which He has chosen for Himself, which He has developed before His eyes, which He has preferred for the best of all His creatures, and whose pillars he has founded upon His love. He has abased other religions by honouring it and humiliated other creeds before its sublimity.’

Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 198 

الإمامُ عليٌّ (عَلَيهِ الّسَلامُ) ـ في وَصفِ الإسلامِ ـ: فهُو أبلَجُ المَناهِجِ ، وأوضَحُ (واضِحُ) الوَلائجِ، مُشرِفُ المَنارِ ، مُشرِقُ الجَوادِّ ، مُضِيءُ المَصابِيحِ

Imam Ali (AS),

in his description of Islam, said, 'It is the brightest of all paths, the clearest of all passages, with towering minarets, brightly lit highways and illuminating lamps.’

Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 106  

6 hours ago, King-Ali said:

Why should I follow Shia Islam and not Sunni Islam?

There is a report from Imam ali al-hadi as, explaining beautifully in u’yun akhbar, why shia is on the correct path.

Yes, hadith (hadith thaqalayn) fully backup its truthfulness by quranic verse (5:55-56). I wonder if the other sects are able to prove their correctness like this.

From Ali bin Muhammad, peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be upon you and upon whoever follows the guidance. Your book came to me and I understood what you mentioned of your disagreement in your religion, your plunging in the matter of “fate”, the belief of some of you in “compulsion”, and others in “free will”, and the disagreement, separation, and enmity among you because of that. Then you asked me about that and to explain it you. I understood all that…

Know, may Allah have mercy on you, that we looked up in the abundant traditions and news and we found, for all Muslims who understand from Allah, them (traditions) not free from two meanings; either truth that is to be followed or falsehood that is to be avoided. The nation has agreed unanimously with no disagreement between them that the Qur'an is the truth that has no doubt in it for Muslims of all sects. Their agreement is the proof of the Book and that they are right and guided due to the saying of the messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and on his progeny), “My nation does not agree on deviation.” He told that what the entire nation agreed on is truth when no group disagrees with another. The Qur'an is the truth that there is no difference between them (Muslims) in its revelation and truthfulness. So when the Qur'an witnesses the truthfulness of some news but a group of the nation denies it, they should acknowledge it as a necessity for basically the nation has agreed unanimously on the truthfulness of the Qur'an, and if they deny, this require them to be out of the (Muslim) nation…’.

The first news that is proved, witnessed, and confirmed by the Book is the saying of the messenger of Allah (a.s.), ‘I leave to you the two weighty things; the Book of Allah and my household. You shall not go astray as long as you keep to them. They shall not separate until they shall come to me at the pond (in Paradise).’ We found the evidences of this tradition in the Book of Allah where Allah said, (Only Allah is your Wali and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow. And whoever takes Allah and His messenger and those who believe for a guardian, then surely the party of Allah are they that shall be triumphant).[Quran 5:55-56]. All Muslim sects narrated traditions that Ameerul Mo’minin (a.s.) had given his ring as charity while he was bowing in prayer and Allah praised him for that and revealed this verse. We found the messenger of Allah (a.s.) saying, ‘Whoever I was his guardian, Ali is to be his guardian’ and (addressing Imam Ali), ‘You are to me as was Aaron to Moses but there will be no prophet after me’ and, ‘Ali repays my debts, carries out my promises, and he is my caliph over you after me’…

The sunni always talks bad about the shia but when we learn our history we'll discover that the sunni were opposed to Imam Ali a.s. and his party.

Only centuries later Imam Ali a.s. was incorporated in the Rashidun. While once the order was Abu Bakr-Umar-Uthman-Muawiya-Yazid.

According to nowadays sunni concept of Rashidun (Abu Bakr-Umar-Uthman-Ali) it is clear for those who use reason that the sunni back then were not on Haqq when it came to Imam Ali a.s.

And still they venerate the Umayyads and Abbasids as rightful rulers.

That's the reason I can never accept sunnism.

Edited by Faruk