Mohamed1993

Florida district bans homework!

Great!

At elementary age, kids should be encouraged to explore what ideas excite them, and reading their choice of books is one of the best ways to do this and play is another. 

There needs to be some element of repetition within the same day for students to retain better. Adults review things the same day/night if they want to keep their performance "up".

In the 70s, elementary students were really overwhelmed with "homework envy" between teachers to the point that a parental backlash occurred because it amounted to 3-5 hours each night and weekend and kids always ask their parents for help.

ln the 60s, the opines were that this prepared students for office jobs to the exclusion of blue-collar jobs.

As for "educational research" in general, this "field" is so convoluted that you can find a study to justify any idea/position you wish to take. This is accomplished not only by researcher bias, but also, about never are any two studies conducted the same way, with the same indices of measurement, and so on. "Reason": so the researcher "contributes to his field" by doing it differently.

@hasanhh I don't think you realize how much homework elementary school children are given nowadays. It's not even possible to finish it in a typical evening. And it's not repetition and memorization (which I've always doubted the value of anyway) but being asked to teach themselves concepts in some cases concepts the parents can't even understand easily. 

A six year old reciting the spelling list for twenty minutes per day is fine. A six year old child who never gets to play and rarely gets enough sleep because he spends too many hours at his homework is not. 

4 hours ago, notme said:

@hasanhh I don't think you realize how much homework elementary school children are given nowadays. It's not even possible to finish it in a typical evening. And it's not repetition and memorization (which I've always doubted the value of anyway) but being asked to teach themselves concepts in some cases concepts the parents can't even understand easily. 

Rest O.K

Didn't you read my second paragraph?