We're not more creative than say, Japan or the rest of the world. But we are pretty open-minded, being that we are a nation of immigrants from different countries and cultures.

Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland) are far more creative in my eyes. Innovative and safe cars and the fastest internet (Sweden) Centuries of seafaring traditions (Norway) Green energy (Denmark)  Technology, farming and social welfare (Finland)

^This to me is far impressive than Apple or the next Iphone.

No. We have a culture that rewards innovation, but we are no more innately creative than anyone else. Inventiveness is usually rooted in necessity. 

Hello,

Some Americans on Shia Chat crack me up.  They think that if they say anything nice about their country they will be seen as less Shia.

1 hour ago, notme said:

No. We have a culture that rewards innovation, but we are no more innately creative than anyone else. Inventiveness is usually rooted in necessity. 

Really, do you think people leaving all along the equator never felt the need for air conditioning?  Invented by the American Willis Carrier.  Or, was it only in America where nighttime illumination was needed without having to have a flame?  Thomas Edison, the inventor of the light bulb.  Necessity is only a small part.  You must have the drive and technical acumen to act.

You are correct in that our culture rewards innovation.  But, that is only part of it.  We also have a robust legal system.  Because of this an inventor can have reasonable assurance their efforts will be rewarded and not be stolen. 

All the Best,

David

*scratching my head* :confused:

@David66 I'm confused. Are you claiming that somehow, miraculously, people who are born in the United States or live in the United States for some period of time suddenly develop increased innate creativity? Or are you agreeing with me very badly? Or are you just deflecting? I really can't tell. 

Is there some part of my comments that you disagree with? Your tone sounds like you are disagreeing, but your words don't disagree. 

Edited by notme
Really weird typo

5 hours ago, David66 said:

Really, do you think people leaving all along the equator never felt the need for air conditioning?  Invented by the American Willis Carrier.  Or, was it only in America where nighttime illumination was needed without having to have a flame?  Thomas Edison, the inventor of the light bulb.  Necessity is only a small part.  You must have the drive and technical acumen to act.

You are correct in that our culture rewards innovation.  But, that is only part of it.  We also have a robust legal system.  Because of this an inventor can have reasonable assurance their efforts will be rewarded and not be stolen. 

All the Best,

David

Well, strong patent laws in Britain certainly kept Edison from stealing Joseph Swan's ideas. He had to make him a partner. Lol.

And people in hot climates devised many ways to keep cool ( that did not rely on outside infrastructure) ...from the Chinese to the Egyptians.

Doesn't take anything away from Americans being creative, though.

image.jpg

@David66

What are you even going off on about? Haven't you heard the expression "Necessity is the mother of invention?"

Some Americans on Shia Chat crack me up.  They think that if they say anything nice about their country they will be seen as less Shia.

^And snide and baseless remarks like this don't make you seen more American than me or Notme. 

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

^ Hello,

It is not "snide."  In my opinion, you and notme make a concerted effort to not say anything good about your Country.  Why is this?

And, my point is, it takes more than a need for a solution.  It takes a government the promotes creativity, it takes a culture that celebrates creativity and it takes a legal system that protects creativity.  The Founding Fathers of our nation realized the importance of this and did a great job in bringing them together.

Have you ever wondered why we had a ship named USS Enterprise as far back as 1799?  And, why we will have a new USS Enterprise in 2025?

All the Best,

David

39 minutes ago, David66 said:

And, my point is, it takes more than a need for a solution.  It takes a government the promotes creativity, it takes a culture that celebrates creativity and it takes a legal system that protects creativity. 

How is this different from what I said? 

7 hours ago, notme said:

Aren't all the things you mention aspects of culture? Do you disagree that all men are created equal, or are only Americans created equal? What we do with what we have depends on what we need or want, and what resources are available, and what we need or want is at least partly rooted in culture.

1 hour ago, David66 said:

In my opinion, you and notme make a concerted effort to not say anything good about your Country.  Why is this?

Name one example where Notme has ever said anything negative about the United States? As for me, I don't like living here, you know that already. I haven't liked living in the United States long before I ever converted to Islam. I've had bad experiences, and I am sorry that my most of my opinions are usually offensive to you. If so, don't read it. Simple as that, that being said what you said to Notme was uncalled and typical pot-stirring.

And the comment above? I don't like your insinuations that we are less American than you because we are critical and in cahoots because we'll be seen less than Shia if we don't criticize the US. Couldn't be further from the truth, it is quite a dangerous assumption.

But guess what? First Amendment protects my right to free speech and guess what else, you don't have to read what I say. No one is forcing you to and "concerted effort"? What effort? What a load of paranoid crock, David. 

Do something more meaningful with your time than troll the forums.  You feel much better about yourself when you do.

@David66 I served in the military to protect even those Americans who are so brainwashed that they have no clue what it means to be American, as did many other members of my family. If patriotism means never criticizing the status quo, I want nothing to do with it. I believe patriotism is the willingness to make personal sacrifices for the common good of the nation, and to never, ever stop trying to be better. 

Jingoism is usually a characteristic of those who lack the ability to think creatively. 

29 minutes ago, notme said:

@David66 I served in the military to protect even those Americans who are so brainwashed that they have no clue what it means to be American, as did many other members of my family. If patriotism means never criticizing the status quo, I want nothing to do with it. I believe patriotism is the willingness to make personal sacrifices for the common good of the nation, and to never, ever stop trying to be better. 

Jingoism is usually a characteristic of those who lack the ability to think creatively. 

you served ni the military? wow the new things i l learn about people  

Hello,

50 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

But guess what? First Amendment protects my right to free speech and guess what else, you don't have to read what I say. No one is forcing you to and "concerted effort"? What effort? What a load of paranoid crock, David. 

That is all true.  But, it would be nice if, on occasion, you could find something nice to say about the society that provides you with disability payments each month.   Do you think that occurs everywhere?  The United States in not 100% evil despite popular propaganda.

All the Best,

David

PS: Thanks Sidnaq.

50 minutes ago, David66 said:

But, it would be nice if, on occasion, you could find something nice to say about the society that provides you with disability payments each month.   Do you think that occurs everywhere? 

No, I would be naive to think otherwise, it certainly doesn't happen in places like Pakistan or Egypt. And I do have some praises for the US but wouldn't be nice if you yourself avoided making statements like this:

3 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Or this:

1 hour ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

In my opinion, you and notme make a concerted effort to not say anything good about your Country.  Why is this?

Nothing good or beneficial comes out of such statements.^

49 minutes ago, David66 said:

The United States in not 100% evil despite popular propaganda.

The United States is not 100% good despite what Faux News and Cold War propaganda say. History would tell us otherwise, David.  I don't need propaganda to know that the US is corrupt, all government is corrupt. Every single country in the world is corrupt in some way, shape or form.

It is quite condescending on your part to assume that I don't know this.

48 minutes ago, David66 said:

you could find something nice to say about the society that provides you with disability payments each month

You sound very hateful to me. It is better to not comment if you have nothing nice to say. Just a humble advice.

Hello,

1 hour ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

No, I would be naive to think otherwise, it certainly doesn't happen in places like Pakistan or Egypt. And I do have some praises for the US but wouldn't be nice if you yourself avoided making statements like this:

Fair enough.  You make a good point.  I will work on this.  And,  I think I make a good point as well.  I hope you can moderate your disdain for your country and on occasion post positive comments.

All the Best,

David 

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

You sound very hateful to me. It is better to not comment if you have nothing nice to say. Just a humble advice.

what the? he isnt saying anything wrongg, or at least anything else, hes not being hateful in fact....

1 hour ago, David66 said:

Hello,

Fair enough.  You make a good point.  I will work on this.  And,  I think I make a good point as well.  I hope you can moderate your disdain for your country and on occasion post positive comments.

All the Best,

David 

mr david, i dont think you said anything wrong... at alll 

17 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

what the? he isnt saying anything wrongg, or at least anything else, hes not being hateful in fact....

I only referred to the comment he made about the disability. You don't randomly go on about other people's disability to prove a point.

2 hours ago, David66 said:

I hope you can moderate your disdain for your country and on occasion post positive comments.

Although I understood what you meant, you were terribly off the mark about making a example of my disability.

For future reference, like Ali said, you do not go off randomly about making examples out of anyone who is disabled to prove a point. There are other ways to prove your point without resorting to that. It is a cowardly thing to do, even if you had good intentions.

Moderator note: ok people, let's return to the topic. We are discussing "American creativity". Thanks for your cooperation.