What is the origin of water on earth?

Do we have any scientific theory or hypothesis which gives us the idea of origin of water?

I was reciting chapter 24 of Quran & this verse gave me an idea about the origin of water:

Surah An-Noor, Verse 43:

أَلَمْ تَرَ أَنَّ اللَّهَ يُزْجِي سَحَابًا ثُمَّ يُؤَلِّفُ بَيْنَهُ ثُمَّ يَجْعَلُهُ رُكَامًا فَتَرَى الْوَدْقَ يَخْرُجُ مِنْ خِلَالِهِ وَيُنَزِّلُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مِن جِبَالٍ فِيهَا مِن بَرَدٍ فَيُصِيبُ بِهِ مَن يَشَاءُ وَيَصْرِفُهُ عَن مَّن يَشَاءُ يَكَادُ سَنَا بَرْقِهِ يَذْهَبُ بِالْأَبْصَارِ

Do you not see that Allah drives along the clouds, then gathers them together, then piles them up, so that you see the rain coming forth from their midst? And He sends down of the clouds that are (like) mountains wherein is hail, afflicting therewith whom He pleases and turning it away from whom He pleases; the flash of His lightning almost takes away the sight.

(English - Shakir)

16 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Do we have any scientific theory or hypothesis which gives us the idea of origin of water?

There are two prevailing theories:

One is that the Earth held onto some water when it formed, as there would have been ice in the nebula of gas and dust (called the proto-solar nebula) that eventually formed the sun and the planets about 4.5 billion years ago. Some of that water has remained with the Earth, and might be recycled through the planet's mantle layer, according to one theory.

The second theory holds that the Earth, Venus, Mars, and Mercury would have been close enough to that proto-solar nebula that most of their water would have been vaporized by heat; these planets would have formed with little water in their rocks. In Earth's case, even more water would have been vaporized when the collision that formed the moon happened. In this scenario, instead of being home-grown, the oceans would have been delivered by ice-rich asteroids, called carbonaceous chondrites.

I think second one make more sense. 

I find something interesting so editing the post

Earth's water is complicated

A slam dunk for asteroids? Not so fast. For this scenario to work, the isotope ratio had to have stayed the same in the oceans over the last few billion years.

But what if it didn't? 

Lydia Hallis, a planetary scientist with the University of Glasgow in the United Kingdom, thinks that the hydrogen present on the early Earth had much less deuterium in it than it does now. The ratio changed because in the early history of the Earth the radiation from the sun heated up both hydrogen and deuterium. Hydrogen, being lighter, was more likely to fly off into outer space, leaving more deuterium behind.

Also, in the last several years, newer models seem to show that the Earth retained a lot of water as it formed, and that the oceans might have been present for much longer than anyone thought.

Hallis and her colleagues looked at hydrogen isotope ratios in ancient Canadian rocks, some of the oldest rocks on Earth. The isotope ratios looked a lot less like asteroids and a lot more like the water one would expect from the early solar nebula in the region — the rocks had more ordinary hydrogen and less deuterium. But the current ocean ratio looks like asteroids. That would seem to indicate something changed in the last few billion years. The research was published in Science in 2015. 

If the Earth's oceans were formed from water on our own planet, rather than asteroids, that would solve a couple of problems for planetary scientists. One is why Earth seems to have so much water in the first place. Another is why life, which as far as anyone knows requires water, seems to have appeared so quickly once the Earth had a solid surface.

Besides the work of Hallis, other scientists have studied ways water could be recycled from Earth's interior. In 2014, Wendy Panero, an associate professor of earth sciences at Ohio State, and doctoral student Jeff Pigott proposed the theory that Earth was formed with entire oceans of water in its interior. Via plate tectonics, that water has been supplying the oceans. They studied garnet, and found it could work with another mineral, called ringwoodite, to deliver water to the Earth's interior – water that would later come up as the mantle material circulated.

Complicating the picture, neither of these hypotheses is mutually exclusive. Asteroids could deliver water while some could come from the Earth's interior. The question is how much each would deliver — and how to find that out.

So this mystery will remain one, at least for a little while longer.

Edited by Ron_Burgundy

The one I know,  when the earth was like a ball of fire 4.5 billion years ago, meteors and asteroids were frequently striking the earth, much more than what we see today. The incoming huge rocky body contained good amount of ice which then melted as water. 

Hmmm, Quran gives us idea that once there was water in outerspace.

وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاء

(11:7) 

And once the throne was on water. What is meant by throne here?

Secondly, if we take the literal translation of this verse & assume that the throne was on water in outer space. 

What would be the nature of that water?

I mean, if we take water into outer space, having extreme low temperatures & pressures, will it freeze or will it boil or will it remain in the liquid form?

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

I was reciting chapter 24 of Quran & this verse gave me an idea about the origin of water:

Surah An-Noor, Verse 43:

أَلَمْ تَرَ أَنَّ اللَّهَ يُزْجِي سَحَابًا ثُمَّ يُؤَلِّفُ بَيْنَهُ ثُمَّ يَجْعَلُهُ رُكَامًا فَتَرَى الْوَدْقَ يَخْرُجُ مِنْ خِلَالِهِ وَيُنَزِّلُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مِن جِبَالٍ فِيهَا مِن بَرَدٍ فَيُصِيبُ بِهِ مَن يَشَاءُ وَيَصْرِفُهُ عَن مَّن يَشَاءُ يَكَادُ سَنَا بَرْقِهِ يَذْهَبُ بِالْأَبْصَارِ

Do you not see that Allah drives along the clouds, then gathers them together, then piles them up, so that you see the rain coming forth from their midst? And He sends down of the clouds that are (like) mountains wherein is hail, afflicting therewith whom He pleases and turning it away from whom He pleases; the flash of His lightning almost takes away the sight.

(English - Shakir)

The origin of Earth's water is nothingness. Yes, nothingness is also an existence itself it is also called void. Scientists can only go so far with their research. The origin of water is the knowledge of the Ghaib (unseen) and that knowledge rests only with Allah. Water is such a conplex compound, so pure that one cannot attain knowledge of its origin. Water is so fascinating that it even can be manipulated by evil or goodness. My Brother, this is the Power Of Allah. 

7 minutes ago, AfricanShia said:

The origin of Earth's water is nothingness. Yes, nothingness is also an existence itself it is also called void

The state of nothingness never existed nor will it exist. There is always a thing, like of which there is nothing. :)

17 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

Hmmm, Quran gives us idea that once there was water in outerspace.

وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاء

(11:7) 

If we consider that the water mentioned in this verse is the water on earth, then the probable meaning of Arsh would be "dominion". In such a scenario, it can be assumed that in its beginning earth is full of water & there were no dry land & mountains present at that time. 

:) I am just treading ideas

1 hour ago, Sirius_Bright said:

The one I know,  when the earth was like a ball of fire 4.5 billion years ago, meteors and asteroids were frequently striking the earth, much more than what we see today. The incoming huge rocky body contained good amount of ice which then melted as water. 

This is the same as i have heard. We can observe right now that plenty of celestial bodies like meteors have ice caps. Its not too far fetched to assume that enough hit earth and their ice caps melted, depositing their water. 

But yeah, little is known how we went from flaming ball of exploding volcanos to 70% water

7 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

The state of nothingness never existed nor will it exist. There is always a thing, like of which there is nothing. :)

If we consider that the water mentioned in this verse is the water on earth, then the probable meaning of Arsh would be "dominion". In such a scenario, it can be assumed that in its beginning earth is full of water & there were no dry land & mountains present at that time. 

:) I am just treading ideas

Nothingness does exist that is why it is called nothingness or also known as void. Allah created things from nothingness and he created nothingnesss itself. Fact is scientists will never be able to comprehend the true nature of water, its origin because that knowledge is with Allah and Allah only. 

I feel it is related to the mystery of dark matter. Astrophysicists can not explain the movement of the celestial bodies through the laws of conventional physics as they estimate that there has to be a lot of more matter exerting gravitational force in the universe, albeit this matter is unknown or undetectable to the eyes / telescopes. Thus "dark matter".

A few scientists today have come to the conclusion that this dark matter is actually water, large quantities of transparent water floating in space. Probably this is the water we also have on earth. Who knows some arrived to cause Noah's flood.

12 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Surah An-Noor, Verse 43:

(English - Shakir)

Well, we know that water is actually common and prevalent throughout space.  As others have mentioned, ice is present on a number of asteroids and comets.  So, water would, theoretically collect with the accretion of earth. In regards to where water originated...well, heres a video...

Some stars contain so much energy, heat and pressure, they fuse hydrogen, forming a good number of elements. Of those elements, there is the formation of oxygen, which with hydrogen forms water.

Of course exploding stars wouldnt make the sound of hollywood TNT, and the video is from more a materialist perspective, so i suppose we can take the video with a grain of salt.

Edited by iCambrian

On 6/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, Salsabeel said:

:) So, scientifically, we are not sure about the origin of water. How little do we know! 

This subject is intresting indeed.

There are many questions science can't answer for example

·        How a bicycle works?

·        Length of any coastline

·        How gravity works?

·        Why do we sleep?

·        How does the brain generate consciousness?

·        What happens when you die?

·        How are bodies able to repair themselves?

·        Why have humans evolved music?

·        Does the universe have purpose and meaning?

·        How Many Species of Animal Exist?

·        Why ice is slippery?

·        How Many Planets Are in Our Solar System?

15 hours ago, iCambrian said:

Well, we know that water is actually common and prevalent throughout space.  As others have mentioned, ice is present on a number of asteroids and comets.  So, water would, theoretically collect with the accretion of earth. In regards to where water originated...well, heres a video...

Do we know for sure?

Like few years ago people used to think human were evolved from apes. Now we know thats wrong. 

On 6/29/2017 at 2:03 PM, Darth Vader said:

A few scientists today have come to the conclusion that this dark matter is actually water,

We all know what happens when matter meets antimatter. so how water could be made of antimatter? 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Alkafi Volume 8

HADEETH OF THE PEOPLE OF SYRIA (AL-SHAAM) 14515

H 14515 From him, from Ahmad Bin Muhammad, from Al-Husayn Bin Saeed, from Muhammad Bin Dawood from Muhammad Bin Atiyya who said:

‘A man from the scholars of the people of Syria (Al-Shaam) came up to Abu Ja’far. He said, ‘O Abu Ja’far, I have come to ask you a question which has exhausted me in finding one who could explain it to me, and I have asked three kinds of the people about it, so each type from them said something other than what the other one said’. So Abu Ja’far said to him: ‘What would that be?’ He said, ‘I ask you about the first thing what Allah Created from His creatures, for some of the ones I asked said it was the Destiny, and some of them said it was the Pen, and some of them said it was the Spirit’.

So Abu Ja’far said: ‘They have not said anything. I hereby inform you that Allah Blessed and High Existed and there was nothing other than Him, and He was Mighty and there was no one who was mighty before Him, and that is His Statement: “[37:180] Glory be to your Lord, the Lord of Honour, above what they describe”, and He was the Creator before the creation, and had He Created, and Had He Created something from His Creation, something from something, then there would be no cut-off from it (the chain) ever, and it would never cease if Allah had something with Him and He did not precede it, but He Existed when there was nothing other than Him.

And He Created the thing from which are all things, and it is the water from which He Created the things. So He Lineage everything to the water and did not Make a lineage for the water to which it can be ascribed. And He Created the wind from the water, then Made the wind to overcome the water. So the wind sent down into the body of the water until foam swirled from the water in accordance with what He so Desired it to swirl. So He Created from that foam, (1) pure white land with no crack in it, nor any holes, neither ascending nor descending, and no tree. Then He Folded it, so He Placed it on top of the water.

Then Allah Created the fire from the water, so the fire bust out of the body of the water until smoke arose from the water in accordance with Allah so Desired it to rise. So He Created from that smoke, (2) clear and pure sky in which there were no cracks nor any holes, and that is His Statement: “[79:27] Are you the harder to create or the heaven? He made it. [79:28] He raised high its height, then put it into a right good state. [79:29] And He made dark its night and brought out its light”. He said: ‘And there was no sun, and no moon, and no stars and no clouds. Then He Folded it and Placed it upon the earth, then Established two creations. Then He Raised the sky before the earth, so that is His Statement, Mighty is His Mention: “[79:30] And the earth, He expanded it after that”. He Said that He Spread it out’.

So the Syrian said to him, ‘O Abu Ja’far, the Statement of Allah the High: “[21:30] Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth were closed up, but We have opened them”. So Abu Ja’far said: ‘Perhaps you think that these two used to be stuck together and there were separated from each other?’ He said, ‘Yes’. Abu Ja’far said: ‘Seek Forgiveness from your Lord, for it is the Statement of Allah Mighty and Majestic that they were closed up, meaning that the sky used to be closed up and no rain descended from it, and the earth was closed up and did not grow any seed (vegetation). So when Allah Blessed and High Created the creatures, He Spread therein all kinds of animals. He Opened up the sky by the rain and the earth by the seed’. The Syrian said, ‘I testify that youasws are from the children of the Prophets and that your knowledge is their knowledge’. 

10 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Do we know for sure?

Like few years ago people used to think human were evolved from apes. Now we know thats wrong. 

Well, seems plausible to me. Im not an astronomer, but word is there is good evidence that fusion of hydrogen occurs within stars. There are computer models that correlate the suns helium and hydrogen ratio to the age of the earth. There are instruments that measure subatomic particles released from fusion, originating from the sun. Spectroscopy tells us what elements are within the sun etc.

I dont have personal reason to doubt fusion of elements within the sun, which would include the formation of water.

And of course, i support the idea of people evolving from pre existing apes.

7 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

without any evidence of course

In taxonomy, we mankind are apes. So to say that we descended from prior apes is scientifically definite.

But thats another topic. If you or anyone else would like to get into that talk, feel free to take it over to one of my threads (see my signature below).

Edited by iCambrian

1 hour ago, iCambrian said:

In taxonomy, we mankind are apes.

well in real life taxonomy we are totally unrelated as we are aware of good and evil, while they are not. At the same time i remember having a discussion with you that confirmed how there is no fossil link evidence between us humans and any "hominid" ( please prove me wrong in your above related thread if you can ). So technically there is no link between us and any ape, or ape-like creature.

However, we concluded that evolution exists nonetheless, as a concept and reality in our environment. I just repeat that there is no link that proves evolution of mankind from any other creature on earth that is found to have existed from fossils and footprints.