DigitalUmmah

DMT/ LSD/ Hallucinogens in Islam

1 hour ago, mesbah said:

The point of this particular discussion is not the allegory of face. Anthropomorphism or divine corporeality (tajsim) is another issue, we are talking about some form of pantheism. 

I know that. All I am saying is why do you use this ayah to prove your point when the Ahlulbayt didn't explain like you have?

1 hour ago, mesbah said:

It's strange, you haven't noticed my first post.

And it doesn't say what you have translated.

11 minutes ago, kirtc said:

nd let me tell you something bro... I myself have stopped any form of substances, I dont smoke and dont even drink coffee.. If I go to a howzah now, would you call it a misunderstanding from my part?

There are so many kinds of misunderstanding between individuals and hawza (or religion at large) it's not just about the smoke or coffee, there are many other factors. 

May Allah save us from all kinds of misunderstanding. 

1 minute ago, mesbah said:

The name is not important, call it mushroom or onion, the fake spirituality that is gained primarily by some pills or liquid, is not what Quran and Hadith recommend.

Taqwa and knowledge are the keys to real objective spirituality, everything else is either a personal delusion or social misunderstanding. 

I agree. 

But again, I am just saying not all people who were on the substance came to the conclusion that OP stated. 

4 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Ahlulbayt didn't explain like you have?

Where did I explain anything?

I just quoted some verses and Hadith to tell the OP it is not easy to wipe off everything with his reductionist view about wahdat alwujud.

7 minutes ago, E.L King said:

it doesn't say what you have translated

It's even stranger, read my first post carefully, it's at the middle.

Here it is again,  from alkafi 1:117

وَ رَوَاهُ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ یَحْیَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِیسَى عَنْ مَرْوَة بْنِ عُبَیْدٍ عَنْ جُمَیْعِ بْنِ عُمَیْرٍ قَالَ قَالَ أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع أَیُّ شَیْ‏ءٍ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ فَقُلْتُ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ مِنْ کُلِّ شَیْ‏ءٍ فَقَالَ وَ کَانَ ثَمَّ شَیْ‏ءٌ فَیَکُونُ أَکْبَرَ مِنْهُ فَقُلْتُ وَ مَا هُوَ قَالَ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ مِنْ أَنْ یُوصَفَ» 

21 minutes ago, mesbah said:

Where did I explain anything?

I just quoted some verses and Hadith to tell the OP it is not easy to wipe off everything with his reductionist view about wahdat alwujud.

It's even stranger, read my first post carefully, it's at the middle.

Here it is again,  from alkafi 1:117

وَ رَوَاهُ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ یَحْیَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عِیسَى عَنْ مَرْوَة بْنِ عُبَیْدٍ عَنْ جُمَیْعِ بْنِ عُمَیْرٍ قَالَ قَالَ أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع أَیُّ شَیْ‏ءٍ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ فَقُلْتُ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ مِنْ کُلِّ شَیْ‏ءٍ فَقَالَ وَ کَانَ ثَمَّ شَیْ‏ءٌ فَیَکُونُ أَکْبَرَ مِنْهُ فَقُلْتُ وَ مَا هُوَ قَالَ اللَّهُ أَکْبَرُ مِنْ أَنْ یُوصَفَ» 

https://purifiedhousehold.com/allahu-akbar-god-is-greater-what-is-he-greater-than/

5 minutes ago, E.L King said:

I haven't seen the original Arabic of this version. 

But it has some logical problem. If God created everything, why shouldn't it be correct to say He is greater than everything? There was a time that he was alone and comparison wouldn't make sense, but why shouldn't it be correct to say He is greater than everything now (after creation)?

8 minutes ago, mesbah said:

I haven't seen the original Arabic of this version. 

But it has some logical problem. If God created everything, why shouldn't it be correct to say He is greater than everything? There was a time that he was alone and comparison wouldn't make sense, but why shouldn't it be correct to say He is greater than everything now (after creation)?

Another hadith I have seen explains why. I will post it insha Allah later.

87 - وعنه، عن يعقوب بن يزيد، عن مروك بن عبيد، عن جميع بن عمرو، عمن رواه، عن أبى عبد الله (ع) قال: قال لى: أي شئ الله أكبر؟ - فقلت: لا والله ما - أدرى إلا أنى أراه أكبر من كل شئ، فقال: وكان ثم شئ سواه فيكون أكبر منه؟ - فقلت: وأى شئ هو الله أكبر؟ - قال: أكبر من أن يوصف 

This is from Mahasin (the source that link claims to be quoting)

It's even more to the point, because it has the word 'siwah' 'rather than him'

http://lib.eshia.ir/15101/2/329/یوصف

Edited by mesbah

2 minutes ago, E.L King said:

Another hadith I have seen explains why. I will post it insha Allah later.

I have yet to see the original Arabic of the hadith in your previous link, I skimmed Mahasin alBarqi, but I only found the versions similar to my original post.

Another occurrence of the Hadith (my version) in alMahasin:

http://lib.eshia.ir/15101/1/241/یوصف

Sayyed Hashim Al-Tehrani says this in his commentary on the hadith:

http://www.aqaed.com/book/135/twhid1-21.html

حاصل بيانه عليه السلام في هذا الباب أن وصفه تعالى بأنه أكبر من الأشياء يستلزم أن يكون مبائنا عنها بحيث يكون بينه وبينها حد فاصل ليتصور هو بحده وهي بحدودها فيحكم بأنه أكبر منها ولو لا الحد بين الشيئين لا يتصور الأكبرية والأصغرية بينهما مع أنه تعالى مع كل شئ قيوما قائما كل شئ به بحيث يضمحل الكل في جنبه تعالى، وإلى هذا أشار عليه السلام بقوله استنكارا: (وكان ثم شئ الخ) فتدبر، فهو أكبر من أن يوصف لامتناع محدوديته واضمحلال كل محدود في جنب عظمته وكبريائه.

1 hour ago, kirtc said:

Drugs are bad and haram.

Drugs is a synonym for medicines. 

1 hour ago, mesbah said:

The name is not important, call it mushroom or onion, the fake spirituality that is gained primarily by some pills or liquid, is not what Quran and Hadith recommend.

would you say that anti-depressants / anti-anxiety drugs are also against Islamic reasoning? 

1 hour ago, 313 Seeker said:

would you say that anti-depressants / anti-anxiety drugs are also against Islamic reasoning? 

What?

We are discussing hallucinogens, which take someone into a state where they lose sense if self. They take these for recreational enjoyment use, not medicinal. Its completely obvious this us what he meant by saying "drugs". 

What does this have to do with anti depressants etc? Thats like saying oh a pig has four legs and so does a lamb, therefore both should be either halal or haram

3 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

Would you say that anti-depressants / anti-anxiety drugs are also against Islamic reasoning? 

In my humble opinion, anything used to get back human body - mind to its natural, healthy state, is a good drug, or drug used correctly.

And anything used for the opposite end, ie, to get human body - mind out of its natural, healthy track, is a bad drug, or a drug used incorrectly.

Now it is often possible, that using a certain type of drug is obligatory upon a sick person, but that very drug is forbidden for a healthy person.

4 hours ago, E.L King said:

Sayyed Hashim Al-Tehrani says this in his commentary on the hadith:

http://www.aqaed.com/book/135/twhid1-21.html

حاصل بيانه عليه السلام في هذا الباب أن وصفه تعالى بأنه أكبر من الأشياء يستلزم أن يكون مبائنا عنها بحيث يكون بينه وبينها حد فاصل ليتصور هو بحده وهي بحدودها فيحكم بأنه أكبر منها ولو لا الحد بين الشيئين لا يتصور الأكبرية والأصغرية بينهما مع أنه تعالى مع كل شئ قيوما قائما كل شئ به بحيث يضمحل الكل في جنبه تعالى، وإلى هذا أشار عليه السلام بقوله استنكارا: (وكان ثم شئ الخ) فتدبر، فهو أكبر من أن يوصف لامتناع محدوديته واضمحلال كل محدود في جنب عظمته وكبريائه.

I don't know the respected Shaykh, which does not matter at all.

But he gives a general opinion about the entirety of the section and somehow mixes the two Hadith, maybe that's why he himself says 'fatadabbar' (think about it) a phrase that is often used to indicate self awareness of a problem (that you cannot reduce one hadith to another without giving any reasoning)

Anyhow, even with all this, he still makes use of ma'iyya al qayyumiyya معیة القیومیة a concept that urafa use to explain the correct version of wahdat alwujud.

Here is a halucigenic drug which has saved me at least twice. I think that most modern anti-depressants are made with bad intentions by evil pharma corporations, but the idea of ingesting things to improve ones mood is surely ok in my opinion. 

Magic Mushroom Drug Lifts Depression in Human Trial

Psilocybin shows higher remission rate than SSRI drugs in U.K. study

8A8DB9E4-7CD9-4233-8991FD3C0C8A72E7.jpg?Credit: Photo by Photofusion/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

A hallucinogenic drug derived from magic mushrooms could be useful in treating depression, the first safety study of this approach has concluded.

Researchers from Imperial College London gave 12 people psilocybin, the active component in magic mushrooms. All had been clinically depressed for a significant amount of time—on average 17.8 years. None of the patients had responded to standard medications, such as selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs), or had electroconvulsive therapy.

One week after receiving an oral dose of psilocybin, all patients experienced a marked improvement in their symptoms. Three months on, five patients were in complete remission. 

“That is pretty remarkable in the context of currently available treatments,” says Robin Carhart-Harris, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Imperial College London and first author of the latest study, which is published in The Lancet Psychiatry.

The equivalent remission rate for SSRIs is around 20%.

The study's authors are not suggesting that psilocybin should be a treatment of last resort for depressed patients. “Our conclusion is more sober than that—we are simply saying that this is doable,” says Carhart-Harris. “We can give psilocybin to depressed patients, they can tolerate it, and it is safe. This gives us an initial impression of the effectiveness of the treatment.”

DRUG PROBLEMS

Demonstrating the safety of psilocybin is no small task. Magic mushrooms are categorized as a Class A illegal drug in the United Kingdom—the most serious category, which also includes heroin and cocaine.

The ethics committee that granted approval for the trial was so concerned that trial volunteers could experience delayed onset psychotic symptoms that it requested a three-month follow-up on the subjects.

“This was unprecedented,” says neuropsychopharmacologist David Nutt at Imperial, who is senior author of the study.

It took 32 months between having the grant awarded and dosing the first patient, says Nutt. By comparison, it took six months “to get through the machinations” for his team’s previous studies using the equally illegal drugs LSD and MDMA, he says.

“Every interaction—applying for licenses, waiting for licenses, receiving the licenses, applying for contracts for drug manufacture, on and on—involved a delay of up to two months. It was enormously frustrating, and most of it was unnecessary,” says Nutt. “The study result isn’t the remarkable part—it’s the fact that we did it at all.”

Scientists at the Heffter Research Institute in Santa Fe, New Mexico, have been investigating how psilocybin could be used to alleviate depression and anxiety in people with terminal cancer, but this is the first study to look specifically at how psilocybin could be used to treat depression alone.

The World Health Organisation calls depression “the leading cause of disability worldwide”. But effective therapies are hard to find. Searching for new treatments, researchers have looked to potent and quirky alternatives such as ketamine and ayahuasca, both of which have shown promise in clinical trials.

“It’s worth noting that we have not developed any new treatments which are widely used since the 1970s for depression, despite the fact that this is the major public-health problem in the Western world and middle-income countries,” says Glyn Lewis, who studies psychiatric disorders at University College London.

Particularly interesting, he says, is the fact that psilocybin seems to take effect with a single dose, unlike some current medications for depression that must be taken daily.

“This study is simply asking: is this interesting enough to pursue further as a treatment for depression?” says Lewis. “My own judgement is that yes, it is.”

This article is reproduced with permission and was first published on May 17, 2016.

source

The best part about taking mushrooms or other organic and pure drugs is that one dose can last between 6 months to several years, while the pharmaceutical gangsters design drugs that hardly work after taking them every day, and paying huge amounts of money. At the same time I have witness first-hand how those anti-depressants turn people into zombies who are very seriously addicted to that thing.

3 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

They take these for recreational enjoyment use, not medicinal. Its completely obvious this us what he meant by saying "drugs". 

What does this have to do with anti depressants etc? Thats like saying oh a pig has four legs and so does a lamb, therefore both should be either halal or haram

it all depends on the intentions. if somebody takes morphine for fun it is not the same like taking it during an operation. Morphine is an opiate and anybody who took it before will tell you that it makes you very high.

The same counts for anti-depressants. Depression can have the power to cause physical symptoms and deterioration. A the same time depression can cause divorce and major fitna among people. If people take drugs, including hallucinogenics in order to combat such negative attitudes, then this could save their lives as well as many other things. i don't think that we should dismiss an entire group of drugs and say that they are haram, because it is the intention that counts. Every drug has its proper use in proper circumstances.

Too many things had been discussed in this thread and at the same time many questions arise due to varied topics in thread starting from Hallucinogens to Wahdatul wajud.

Knowing the Allah can't be done using hallucinogens. 

Hallucinogens are normally chemical substances which causes the change in thoughts, perception, emotions, consciousness. They are mostly psychoactive substances which bring chemical changes in human brain that in turn cause diversion of consciousness. 

Taking these substances can never bring you close to understanding anything in real term instead they will provide you false hope of attaining whatever you are thinking or trying to achieve as achieved. 

Understanding Allah is one of the easiest and at the same toughest work to do.

Understanding yourselves is best way to understand Allah. 

4 hours ago, haidermpr said:

Taking these substances can never bring you close to understanding anything in real term instead they will provide you false hope of attaining whatever you are thinking or trying to achieve as achieved. 

i am of different opinion. taking this drug/medicine made me understand real things. thanks to Allah! They cured me of many diseases that blocked a lot of things.

_____

_____

MNT home

Magic Mushrooms Can Bring About Lasting Personality Changes

By Christian Nordqvist
Published Thursday 29 September 2011

Taking magic mushrooms (psilocybin) can have a lasting change on the individual's personality, making them more open about their feelings and the way they perceive things, researchers from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, wrote in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. The authors explained that those who had mystic experiences while on psilocybin were more likely to subsequently exhibit certain personality changes, making them more forthcoming about their feelings, becoming more focused on being creative, curious, and appreciative about artistic things.

Psilocybin is a psychedelic drug - a substance whose main action is to alter perception and cognition. Its molecular formula is C12H17N2O4P. Its mind-altering effects are similar to those of mescaline and LSD. It effects may include, an altered sense of time, spiritual experiences, perceptual distortions, and thinking processes. Psilocybin can also cause nausea and panic attacks. This psychedelic drug can be found in over 200 types of mushrooms, the most powerful coming from the genus Psilocybe, including P. cubensisP. semilanceata, and P. cyanescens.

In this latest study, headed by Roland Griffiths, personality changes that occurred in those who took magic mushrooms were still there twelve months later. The authors believe that the psilocybin may well have a long-term effect.

Professor Griffiths said:

"The remarkable piece is that psilocybin can facilitate experiences that change how people perceive themselves and their environment. That's unprecedented."

Magic mushrooms growing on moss
Magic mushrooms are usually eaten. However, they can also be made into a tea beverage, or smoked.
Magic mushrooms used to be used by Timothy Leary, a former Harvard professor of psychology. Leary founded the Harvard Psilocybin Project.

Openness is one of five main personality traits that span all cultures worldwide, the other four are extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and conscientiousness. Degrees of openness are fairly constant throughout an individual's lifetime. The researchers found that the other four personality factors were largely unchanged after people consumed magic mushrooms.

The authors say their study is the first finding of a short-term intervention with long-lasting personality changes.

The study involved 51 individuals who underwent two to five eight-hour psilocybin sessions, with a three-week interval between each session. During a session they lay down on a couch, wore an eye mask and listened to music through headphones while concentrating on an inner experience. Their personalities were screened at the beginning of the studies, and then during a two-month and 12-month follow-up.

Thirty of the volunteers had a mystical experience, according to the researchers' criteria gathered from a set of psychological scales. Their openness scores increased, indicating more focus on aesthetics, inner feeling, values, imagination and ideas. The rest of the participants, those with no mystical experiences, underwent no apparent personality change.

The authors concluded:

"The findings suggest a specific role for psilocybin and mystical-type experiences in adult personality change."

Psychoactive mushrooms used by humans for thousands of years

Archeologists have gathered evidence of the presence of psychoactive mushrooms used in religious rituals for thousands of years.

Ancient paintings in Villar del Humo, Spain, show evidence of Psilocybe hispanica usage in religious ceremonies about 4,000 BC.

Murals in southeast Algeria, in the Sahara desert, dated 7000 to 9000 BC suggest psilocybin mushroom use.

In the Aztec language Nahuatl, psychoactive mushrooms were called "teonanacatl" (God flesh). Mayan archives have data pointing to common usage of psilocybin mushrooms in ceremonies and rituals.

Written by Christian Nordqvist

^^^^^ This explains why in all parts of the Globe, the rock (and occasionally pottery) paintings are the same swirls, spirals and such. Common hallucinations among shamans and witchdoctors.

Which raises a question: lf the effects are 'common', where are the unique insights so advertised?

2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

^^^^^ This explains why in all parts of the Globe, the rock (and occasionally pottery) paintings are the same swirls, spirals and such. Common hallucinations among shamans and witchdoctors.

Which raises a question: lf the effects are 'common', where are the unique insights so advertised?

there is more and more evidence that the effects of these substances can be incomparably more effective in treatment of serious depressions and anxiety than prescribed drugs, while a single dose can last for years. At the same time one knows what one is taking, and it is basically for free. 

However, just like prescribed drugs, any drug can be abused. And i would argue that the abuse of organic pure substances is better and safer than the abuse of the likes of xanx.

The mysterious extremely addictive prescription drugs are probably ruled as halal by most scholars, and this documentary by the Church of Scientology (which i in no way endorse) shows a great summary of what is going on:

16 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

i am of different opinion. taking this drug/medicine made me understand real things. thanks to Allah! They cured me of many diseases that blocked a lot of things.

_____

_____

MNT home

Magic Mushrooms Can Bring About Lasting Personality Changes

By Christian Nordqvist
Published Thursday 29 September 2011

Taking magic mushrooms (psilocybin) can have a lasting change on the individual's personality, making them more open about their feelings and the way they perceive things, researchers from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, wrote in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. The authors explained that those who had mystic experiences while on psilocybin were more likely to subsequently exhibit certain personality changes, making them more forthcoming about their feelings, becoming more focused on being creative, curious, and appreciative about artistic things.

Psilocybin is a psychedelic drug - a substance whose main action is to alter perception and cognition. Its molecular formula is C12H17N2O4P. Its mind-altering effects are similar to those of mescaline and LSD. It effects may include, an altered sense of time, spiritual experiences, perceptual distortions, and thinking processes. Psilocybin can also cause nausea and panic attacks. This psychedelic drug can be found in over 200 types of mushrooms, the most powerful coming from the genus Psilocybe, including P. cubensisP. semilanceata, and P. cyanescens.

In this latest study, headed by Roland Griffiths, personality changes that occurred in those who took magic mushrooms were still there twelve months later. The authors believe that the psilocybin may well have a long-term effect.

Professor Griffiths said:

"The remarkable piece is that psilocybin can facilitate experiences that change how people perceive themselves and their environment. That's unprecedented."

Magic mushrooms growing on moss
Magic mushrooms are usually eaten. However, they can also be made into a tea beverage, or smoked.
Magic mushrooms used to be used by Timothy Leary, a former Harvard professor of psychology. Leary founded the Harvard Psilocybin Project.

Openness is one of five main personality traits that span all cultures worldwide, the other four are extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and conscientiousness. Degrees of openness are fairly constant throughout an individual's lifetime. The researchers found that the other four personality factors were largely unchanged after people consumed magic mushrooms.

The authors say their study is the first finding of a short-term intervention with long-lasting personality changes.

The study involved 51 individuals who underwent two to five eight-hour psilocybin sessions, with a three-week interval between each session. During a session they lay down on a couch, wore an eye mask and listened to music through headphones while concentrating on an inner experience. Their personalities were screened at the beginning of the studies, and then during a two-month and 12-month follow-up.

Thirty of the volunteers had a mystical experience, according to the researchers' criteria gathered from a set of psychological scales. Their openness scores increased, indicating more focus on aesthetics, inner feeling, values, imagination and ideas. The rest of the participants, those with no mystical experiences, underwent no apparent personality change.

The authors concluded:

"The findings suggest a specific role for psilocybin and mystical-type experiences in adult personality change."

Psychoactive mushrooms used by humans for thousands of years

Archeologists have gathered evidence of the presence of psychoactive mushrooms used in religious rituals for thousands of years.

Ancient paintings in Villar del Humo, Spain, show evidence of Psilocybe hispanica usage in religious ceremonies about 4,000 BC.

Murals in southeast Algeria, in the Sahara desert, dated 7000 to 9000 BC suggest psilocybin mushroom use.

In the Aztec language Nahuatl, psychoactive mushrooms were called "teonanacatl" (God flesh). Mayan archives have data pointing to common usage of psilocybin mushrooms in ceremonies and rituals.

Written by Christian Nordqvist

Brother 

I am not against medicinal use of any drug/substance to cure disease or mental status of persons. 

I am against misuse of these things. 

Using intoxicants can never be answer to problems -----

6 hours ago, haidermpr said:

Brother 

I am not against medicinal use of any drug/substance to cure disease or mental status of persons. 

I am against misuse of these things. 

Using intoxicants can never be answer to problems -----

well if you want to claim it is haram to use anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, then that would include all drugs. But i don't think that most Marjas and most scholars will come up with such conclusions. 

The use of drugs, which are medicines, has been an answer to many people's health problems. Of course misusing anything is wrong, but there are ways of using without misusing. 

On 6/29/2017 at 4:16 PM, 313 Seeker said:

well if you want to claim it is haram to use anti-anxiety and anti-depressants, then that would include all drugs. But i don't think that most Marjas and most scholars will come up with such conclusions. 

The use of drugs, which are medicines, has been an answer to many people's health problems. Of course misusing anything is wrong, but there are ways of using without misusing. 

That is what I already said.

As a Pharmaceutical scientist, I know quite well about these drugs. 

Thanks 

On 6/27/2017 at 3:47 PM, DigitalUmmah said:

instead, the effects of DMT seem to be some sort of hormone or other chemical to be increased in the blood, which puts someone into a dreaming-like state, so their "visions" are little more than dreams

Such are rubbish western explanations. We don't even know for certain what a dream is. When seeing is believing, when the entirety of physics is derived from seeing and not seeing, such half-truths and statements like "seem to be some sort of hormone" is pseudo-scientific.

Rubbish.