Rate this topic

Salam,

The following words of Nouman Ali Khan are just gold:

"Allah mentions in His book that it isn't only eyes but also hearts that can become blind. Furthering that notion in the 24th surah, He gives the example of someone drowning at sea during a thunderstorm with a giant wave that has slammed over him (or her...) and before he could make his way to the top another comes and pushes him even deeper down to the bottom of the ruthless sea. You'd think by the time you get to this part of the divine painting, you'd be learning of being out of breath or terrified. But no, the depiction is 
إذا أخرج يده لم يكد يراها
"When he take his hand out, he almost doesn't even see it!"

The deeper down he goes the darker it gets.  The greatest horror in Allah's divine parable is an almost inability to even see your own hand right in front of you. Of all  our limbs, the hand is commonly used in the Quran to describe our actions in life. 

I was talking to someone recently about their "bad days", the days before they repented and changed course in life. They told me that even at the worst times, sneaking out of the house, making the way to the night club, right before walking into it, they'd turn to God and say, "I'm sorry I'm about to do this, please don't let me die here". 

That moved me so deeply. There are people that can be so far from being good,  seeped in sin, so many doses of drugs, illicit relationships, filthy environments and all manner of terrible choices later, through all of those crushing waves of darkness that have slammed them deeper and deeper into the merciless ocean of sin, where they are surround only by devices of their own destruction, where every time they even try to come up for air a new set of temptations and forces drag them back down ensuring they will be in so much darkness that they'll stop thinking about what they're doing and just do it, through all of that, they can still barely make out their hand and still aren't completely blind. Some voice inside them still says you need to get out of this. Some part of them can see right past all the make up, all the loud noise, all the animal stares, all the fake smiles, all the mind numbing thumping of music telling you to "throw your hands up in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care",  and yet they still care. As weak as it may have become, their vision still works. 

Vision is a function of light. In easy English, without light you can't see. It doesn't matter how far the party road you've traveled. It doesn't matter how much darkness you've surrounded yourself in. It doesn't matter how much you've told yourself I'm in too deep. I'm as good as drowned, a lost cause. None of that matters. The fact that something inside you can still see the wrong in what you do means there is light somewhere. But where? Where did this light come from and why is this flimsy candle not put out by the drowning sea? 

The same parable that describes this depth of darkness will teach you that there's a light inside you. You keep looking for a good influence on the outside thinking if only someone good would come along and change your life and bring it light, you'd become a good person too. You don't realize that good person is you. A prisoner deep inside your own self, whose light you've been suffocating. You are the greatest oppressor to your own enlightened soul deep in your heart. This starving prisoner should have died by now but Allah is keeping it alive. He ends the ayah, 
‎فمن لم يجعل الله له نورا فما له من نور. 
"Then anyone for whom Allah wouldn't have furnished light, they wouldn't possibly have any light at all!"

That light inside you is Allah's biggest gift to you. You've been ignoring it because swimming against giant waves isn't easy. It's painful, requires you to exhaust yourself and the alternative is so so much easier. Just drown. Just throw your hands up and stop caring.  But if you have the strength of will left, He will never abandon you. His rope is always there to pull you up. He'll also describe it like the anchor of a ship whose giant links in the chain can't be broken. You will make your way up and when no one around you is a source of light, He will be from within you. The fact that you can still see your hand, albeit barely, is proof that He hasn't given up on you. It's on you now. Happy swimming!"

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

21 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

you listen to nouman brother? which video did you get this from? and are there other videos you can post in my inbox about his you like?

Yeah I do listen to him. However, this was Nouman's status on Facebook(a few weeks ago) which I just copied.

9 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Nice speech from him, but it's funny how he's talking about all this when he himself is drowning at the deepest level of the ocean right now.

I don't know man. One could go on about how he never talks about Ahlulbayt (as) or about his salafi views. However, it is not right to assume that he is drowning in the sea of sins or anything. Nouman has probably done more good deeds than I will ever do in my life. I have just been born in a family who has taught me to love Ahlulbayt(as).

My point is that he is still a scholar from another school of thought and we should appreciate his good work, regardless of some differences. Nouman Ali Khan does have a very inspiring story of how he was not religious at once and then became a practicing Muslim.

Edited by Hameedeh
Member asked to edit.

5 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Nice speech from him, but it's funny how he's talking about all this when he himself is drowning at the deepest level of the ocean right now.

Come on man... deepest level? That's a bit extreme... 

4 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I don't know man. One could go on about how he never talks about Ahlulbayt (as) or about his salafi views. However, it is not right to assume that he is drowning in the sea of sins or anything. Nouman has probably done more good deeds than I will ever do in my life. I have just been born in a family who has taught me to love Ahlulbayt(as).

My point is that he is still a scholar from another school of thought and we should appreciate his good work, regardless of some differences. Nouman Ali Khan does have a very inspiring story of how he was not religious at once and then became a practicing Muslim.

What salafi?what r you talking about??

Edited by Hameedeh
Edited the quote.

24 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

What salafi?what r you talking about??

There are two reasons I think so, based on a video I watched (I can link).

1) He is completely against the conept of intercession.

2) He says that celebrating the birthday of Prophets etc is bidah.

However I take the good from his speeches and still admire him.

4 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

My point is that he is still a scholar from another school of thought and we should appreciate his good work, regardless of some differences. Nouman Ali Khan does have a very inspiring story of how he was not religious at once and then became a practicing Muslim.

Imam al-Baqir (as) said: "On the Day of Resurrection, a pavilion of fire will be made in which the supporters of the oppressors will be put, and nails of iron will be made for them scratching with it beginning with their hearts. So they will say: Our Lord, did we not worship You? He said: So He will say: Yea, however you were supporters for the oppressors."

My father and Muhammad b. al-Hasan and Muhammad b. Musa al-Mutawakkil رضي الله عنهم narrated. They said: Sa`d b. `Abdillah and `Abdillah b. Ja`far al-Himyari narrated together from Muhammad b. `Isa from al-Hasan b. Mahbub from Abu Sa`eed al-Mukari from `Ammar from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام.

He said: I heard him say: "Whoever dies without having an Imam has died the death of jahiliyya, disbelief (kufr), polytheism (shirk), and deviance."

Edited by Hameedeh
Edited the quote.

15 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Imam al-Baqir (as) said: "On the Day of Resurrection, a pavilion of fire will be made in which the supporters of the oppressors will be put, and nails of iron will be made for them scratching with it beginning with their hearts. So they will say: Our Lord, did we not worship You? He said: So He will say: Yea, however you were supporters for the oppressors."

You can't take a hadith and pin point at anyone you like. Do you really understand the context of this hadith? The supporters of the oppressors 14 centuries ago could have be different to someone like Nouman Ali Khan. I don't think if Nouman Ali Khan lived at those times, he would of been with the oppressors. I like to assume the best and Allah knows what is in the hearts of people better than we do.

1 minute ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

You can't take a hadith and pin point at anyone you like. Do you really understand the context of this hadith? The supporters of the oppressors 14 centuries ago could have be different to someone like Nouman Ali Khan. I don't think if Nouman Ali Khan lived at those times, he would of been with the oppressors. I like to assume the best and Allah knows what is in the hearts of people better than we do.

The hadith is generally referring to anyone who supports the oppressors, why would it only apply back than but not right now? Of course at the end of the day Allah is the one to judge, but our hadiths are very clear. Allah judges a person according to his knowledge, and in this day and age everyone has access to information of all religion. Shi'ism has obviously been introduced to everyone, but NAK rejected it and till this day remains a Sunni/Salafist. Allah despises people who reject the truth. May Allah guides NAK to the right path.

1 hour ago, Pearl178 said:

It's 4 minutes long and I assume you understand Arabic 

In actual fact his opinion is quite unorthodox on this issue (just read the sayings of other scholars on this issue) and it is strange he is attacking others for cherry picking hadiths when he is doing the same thing.

There are many hadiths that prove what brother @Hassan- was stating. 

2 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

There are two reasons I think so, based on a video I watched (I can link).

1) He is completely against the conept of intercession.

2) He says that celebrating the birthday of Prophets etc is bidah.

However I take the good from his speeches and still admire him.

and other sunni schools dont believe in this?

i still dont understand why we cant invite other scholars of islam such s sunni lecturers to shia events to speakl, example an event called guiding believers to prayer coyuld benefit from both hassanain rajabali to NAK 

6 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

and other sunni schools dont believe in this?

Majority of Sunni believes in the concept of shafa'ah. Majority also celebrate eid milad-un-nabi.

9 hours ago, sidnaq said:

i still dont understand why we cant invite other scholars of islam such s sunni lecturers to shia events to speakl, example an event called guiding believers to prayer coyuld benefit from both hassanain rajabali to NAK 

I doubt Nouman will ever come to a Shia lecture. It would also be pretty expensive to hire him as he is pretty famous. 

Although according to our Hadiths, as mentioned above, that Sunnis will die as kaffars in the afterlife, I believe that Allah is the only one who will be able to judge.

On Al-Islam, it states that if the truth was rejected and they knew it was the truth (this is in regards to The People of the Book.) then Hellfire would be their destination. 

However, most Sunnis aren't taught the truth about Shia beliefs, or a very inaccurate perspective on it. It does state that with regards to Christian and Jews, that if the truth hasn't reached them or is handed to them in an incomplete manner, then they may be excused from the punishment of Hell for that reason. 

So it is possible that Christians and Jews may be saved according to Al-Islam, but not Sunnis? Why wouldn't this same belief apply to Sunnis as well since most Sunnis are just ignorant of the truth? 

@Islandsandmirrors Yeah I agree and just to add:

Denying the truth means that there was a point in time when your heart was certain of it, but you still rejected it.

Even if we read the quran, Allah makes numerous references to the 'kafir' people who knew the truth and still had rejected/concealed it.

The fact is that Nouman Ali Khan has spend majority of his life studying the Arabic language and mastering Arabic Grammer. I am sure Nouman has had very little exposure to hadiths, and even if he did it is probably none other than 'Sahih Bukhari'.

14 centuries ago it might of been different. You have beautiful stories of the enemies of Imam Ali (as) who realized the truth just by their encounter with the Ahlulbayt (as). Take Zuhayr ibn Qayn for example, who joined the army of Imam Hussain (as) after just a single meeting. That time there was a higher chance of being exposed to the truth. I mean come on, many enemies had even encountered Ahlulbayt (as) and had still choosed to remain ignorant. The enemies had even lived with ahlulbayt (as) and witnessed their amazing personalities but still chose falsehood over the truth.

This is my own view and maybe I am wrong. Allah knows the best.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:37 PM, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I doubt Nouman will ever come to a Shia lecture. It would also be pretty expensive to hire him as he is pretty famous. 

so thats why we dont ask him t speak? what about other afforable sunni lecturers?