Salams all,

Can anyone guide me to inexpensive clothing stores in Chicago's Magnificent Mile area, or someplace nearby? A well known nation-wide store with decent quality wares would do.

The purpose is to buy casual wear and semi-formal stuff. Brands don't matter, just decent quality is all I seek.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Salams all,

Can anyone guide me to inexpensive clothing stores in Chicago's Magnificent Mile area, or someplace nearby? A well known nation-wide store with decent quality wares would do.

The purpose is to buy casual wear and semi-formal stuff. Brands don't matter, just decent quality is all I seek.

Thanks!

Try JCPenny or Macy's. I prefer Macy. 

20 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Salams all,

Thanks!

Whats your budget you rich man????

things are cheap here as compare to Paki land. 

Edited by Ron_Burgundy

6 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

things are cheap here as compare to Paki land. 

Yeah, I heard that. I was surprised!

Over here we pay high prices for D-quality Chinese made junk or ill-fitting local produce. It seems like a total waste of money when I buy non-desi apparel in Pakiland. So I try to buy in bulk whenever I'm abroad. 

Even Britain has decent relative prices when quality is factored in. I hope the US meets my expectations! :grin:

I don't have a fixed budget in mind, but what gave you the idea that I'm a rich man? If I were rich I'd be buying at elite brands such as (insert names)!!!

1 minute ago, Marbles said:

I don't have a fixed budget in mind, but what gave you the idea that I'm a rich man? If I were rich I'd be buying at elite brands such as (insert names)!!!

Because you are visiting abroad and you could speak english it means you went to some decent school. I think you are privileged man and you should be thanking Allah. 

Now let's get to main point, I could give you all the store name cheap one and expensive one and you should go to every single story you never know where you find a good stuff. 

1. Marshall

2.  Burlington Coat Factory

3. JCPenney

4. Macy's

5. Zara's

5. H&M (Only for skinny people)

6. Lord and Taylor

7. Saks off 5th

8. Nordstrom

9. Nordstrom Rack

10. Macy's Rack

That's a handy list, thanks man.

Could you please rate them on a scale of one to ten? From cheapest to most expensive?

Rule out stores that sell flashy or fashionable clothing. Not my taste.

From the list above, except for Burlington Coat Factory and JC Penny, all others are expensive. Sears and Kmart are also stores with reasonable prices. The apartments and parking are very expensive in Magnificent Mile area, so my guess is clothing and other things are also expensive. I think you will probably find cheap things in a mall located in a suburb.  @Akbar673 lives in Chicago I think.

Edited by rkazmi33

32 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

From the list above, except for Burlington Coat Factory and JC Penny, all others are expensive. Sears and Kmart are also stores with reasonable prices. The apartments and parking are very expensive in Magnificent Mile area, so my guess is clothing and other things are also expensive. I think you will probably find cheap things in a mall located in a suburb.  @Akbar673 lives in Chicago I think.

Thanks for the input. I figured that Magnificent Mile area would be expensive for shopping. I'm staying at a hotel there so it would be convenient to shop in the area. I'm hoping I can find a couple of cheap stores around.

I will check out the shop names you shortlisted above. Just need to google where the closest stores are located.

You can get shirts for $20-$25 easily. But at the expensive stores, you cannot buy anything for less than $40. I honestly don't know what are prices like in downtown stores. You can take a cab to a suburb. If you can save $200 by going to suburbs, then it's not bad to spend $60-$80 on cab. 

On 6/8/2017 at 2:50 PM, Marbles said:

Thanks for the input. I figured that Magnificent Mile area would be expensive for shopping. I'm staying at a hotel there so it would be convenient to shop in the area. I'm hoping I can find a couple of cheap stores around.

I will check out the shop names you shortlisted above. Just need to google where the closest stores are located.

6 7 and 8 are not cheap, but sometime you could get amazing deals tho. Once i bought a buffalo jacket from lord and taylors for only $39.99 on sale. Regular price was $400.00. I find nordstrom very expensive thats why i included nordstrom rack its cheap version of nordstrom. I know you don't care about brands but brand cloths last way longer than regular clothes so its a good investment. I am not saying that you should start buying Gucci of course thats crazy expensive but you could see the difference between macy's stuff and kmart and kohl's stuff. 

Edited by ShiaChat Mod

My sons and husband like JC Penney, and I approve of it's price and quality. Kohl's also has quality affordable clothing, but my guys rarely find anything they like there. I shop there for myself and my young children. When they are having a sale, their prices are comparable to Walmart and their quality is much higher. 

Kmart, Walmart, and Target are popular cheaper stores if you don't mind slightly lower quality. Of the three, Target is the best quality and Kmart is cheapest. 

Safe travels. 

@notme thanks for the tips. I didn't know about Target until you mentioned it. I got some useful stuff from there. It was very far and hard to get to from my location in Chicago, but I found one in Staten Island New York. 

I also got stuff from Macy's which @Ron_Burgundy mentioned above. As it turned out, my contact in New York worked at Macy's. They told me to wait till Independence Day weekend to avail big discounts. It really helped. And thank you Ron and everyone else for their suggestions

In Chicago I stumbled upon a Nordstrom. The store was stunning and made me drool but I was quick to get out. Too many top-tier brands and too expensive for my budget. I did tauba and left after 15 minutes.

Anyway, God bless the United States and all the wonderful people in it. It was a great trip. I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. I'd be happy to return when I get a chance next time.

Edited by Marbles