Rate this topic

Assalamu alaykum

A muslim family invited me for iftar tomorrow, and I accepted. They owe a store and their earnings come from selling Christian statues (like statues of Saints or statues of Jesus on The cross and the Virgin Mary) , statues of Buddha, amulets, and things like that, which I think it's haram.

Now I have 2 questions:

1) Are their earnings haram? I think it's unlawful because they are muslim and it's like promoting corrupt beliefs.

2) In case their earnings are haram, is it haram for me to accept their invitation and eat at their house? I'm asking this because I know that if our income is from haram sources then even the food we buy with that money is haram to eat. 

I don't know what to do because I already accepted the invitation but I really don't want to eat haram, specially because it's Ramadan, I don't want to commit any sin this month. Also my mom is mad at me because I don't want to attend to the dinner(I want to avoid eating from haram earnings), but it's like I'm being disrespectul to them. What should I do? If I don't attend I would hurt their feelings and they will be mad at me, but if I attend I might be comitting a very big sin.

I already sent this question to many scholars but I don't think I will receive any answer before tomorrow, that's why I'm asking here.

Here is Sistani's answer : 

Q4) Is it permissible to socialize or accept invitations from Muslims that are involved in type of businesses which selling alcohol beverages and pork?

A4) There is no objection.

http://www.alulbayt.com/rulings/12.htm

It's only haram if you have 100% certainty that the very food you are eating from was bought with haram money (S. Khamenei).

They may have other sources of income: pensions, gifts from friends, another halal business, sale of halal products like food etc - how do you know that they didn't buy the food they are giving you with one of these halal sources of money?

It goes without saying though that you should encourage them away from haram earning.

Edited by silasun

11 hours ago, starlight said:

Here is Sistani's answer : 

Q4) Is it permissible to socialize or accept invitations from Muslims that are involved in type of businesses which selling alcohol beverages and pork?

A4) There is no objection.

http://www.alulbayt.com/rulings/12.htm

Thank you for the link!

I just want to be sure it's Halal to eat their food, because I feel really guilty about it.

10 hours ago, Hassan- said:

I wouldn't attend. I don't know for sure if it's haram to eat their food, but I wouldn't take the risk. Better to be on the safe side.

Thank you for tour reply.

I don't want to attend, but I feel like it's being disrespectul to them because I already accepted the invitation, also I don't want anybody be mad at me in this month when one should seek forgiveness from others, I would not like to hurt their feelings (and my mom's too). I think I will act based in what Sistani says about accepting invitation from muslim whose income is haram. I really hope it's not haram and Allah don't punish me for that.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, silasun said:

It's only haram if you have 100% certainty that the very food you are eating from was bought with haram money (S. Khamenei).

They may have other sources of income: pensions, gifts from friends, another halal business, sale of halal products like food etc - how do you know that they didn't buy the food they are giving you with one of these halal sources of money?

It goes without saying though that you should encourage them away from haram earning.

Thank you for tour help!

My main problem is that I know that at least at their store, the only things (or 99% of their merchandise) they sell are haram, I mean I think all of their earnings from their business is haram, because they don't sell anything like food or Halal items. Of course, I'm not aware about the details of all of their income (for example gifts like you mentioned) and I will never be 100% sure they bought the food with haram money, but I think they did, I feel I'm fooling myself thinking they might be buying the food with Halal money because I know their sources of income. The only business I know they are involved in is the one I mentioned, and they are very close Friends of us, I think would know if they have others sources of income.i

Like you said, I will never have 100% certainty for that because I don't manage their accounts, and because I don't want to affect my relation with them and my mom (she was upset when I told her I don't want to attend) I will act based on what S. Khamenei and S. Sistani say, they know better than me. I hope this not affect my Ramadan.

May Allah hace mercy on all of us and accept our fasting, prayers, supplications and every deed this blessed month.

On 2017-5-26 at 11:26 PM, ss99 said:

Assalamu alaykum

A muslim family invited me for iftar tomorrow, and I accepted. They owe a store and their earnings come from selling Christian statues (like statues of Saints or statues of Jesus on The cross and the Virgin Mary) , statues of Buddha, amulets, and things like that, which I think it's haram.

Now I have 2 questions:

1) Are their earnings haram? I think it's unlawful because they are muslim and it's like promoting corrupt beliefs.

2) In case their earnings are haram, is it haram for me to accept their invitation and eat at their house? I'm asking this because I know that if our income is from haram sources then even the food we buy with that money is haram to eat. 

I don't know what to do because I already accepted the invitation but I really don't want to eat haram, specially because it's Ramadan, I don't want to commit any sin this month. Also my mom is mad at me because I don't want to attend to the dinner(I want to avoid eating from haram earnings), but it's like I'm being disrespectul to them. What should I do? If I don't attend I would hurt their feelings and they will be mad at me, but if I attend I might be comitting a very big sin.

I already sent this question to many scholars but I don't think I will receive any answer before tomorrow, that's why I'm asking here.

What they are selling is indeed forbidden but do accept their invitations for as there is no harm or objection in it and it is a form of politeness. 

8 hours ago, ShiaBrother12 said:

What they are selling is indeed forbidden but do accept their invitations for as there is no harm or objection in it and it is a form of politeness. 

Thank you! I was really worried about that. 

May Allah bless you.