Rate this topic

So now, from my understanding no one knows what their end game is, in the sense of heaven and hell. In islam at least. But this keeps getting challenged. For instance, I was reading an obituary from a gentleman of christian faith the other day and came across a line that I always seem to come across that goes a little like "Mr ____ was a very loved father, grandfather, and husband who is now in heaven". Every obituary I read is just like BOOM insta-heavan. This is not limited to Christianity, even in my own family, I've seen it. I recently had a family member pass away and her mother was saying that she wants to die and go back to her daughter in heaven. I wasn't being mindful and unfortunately blurted out "how do you know that your going to heaven?". She wasn't taken back by my question, rather, she said "when you know, you know". Why do so many people assume these days that everyone is just resting in heaven.... in our faith, is this allowed?

Edited by Bazzi_

4 minutes ago, Bazzi_ said:

So now, from my understanding no one knows what their end game is, in the sense of heaven and hell. In islam at least. But this keeps getting challenged. For instance, I was reading an obituary from a gentleman of christian faith the other day and came across a line that I always seem to come across that goes a little like "Mr ____ was a very loved father, grandfather, and husband who is now in heaven". Every obituary I read is just like BOOM insta-heavan. This is not limited to Christianity, even in my own family, I've seen it. I recently had a family member pass away and her mother was saying that she wants to die and go back to her daughter in heaven. I wasn't being mindful and unfortunately blurted out "how do you know that your going to heaven?". She wasn't taken back by my question, rather, she said "when you know, you know". Why do so many people assume these days that everyone is just resting in heaven.... in our faith, is this allowed?

@LeftCoastMom Your a very prominent Person on here, whats ur take on this? 

In ur faith, is it assumed that everyone who lived a decent life (on the outside) and had some faith, is automatically in heaven?

I think it is that when we hear news that a close relative passed away, we are in such a shocked state to even think the person will be punished in any way.

I know this uncle of mine that passed away few months back who hardly ever prayed even a single salah. All my relatives have started assuming that he is resting in heaven and say how great of a man he was(Allah knows).

I think the statement is more of a way to offer condolences and a way to sympathize. I don't think everyone automatically is guaranteed Jannah but Allah is very merciful so there is no harm in assuming the best.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

I heard that you are only supposed to say good things about dead people. I even heard that if Allah sees that people are saying good things about a person, Allah will forgive that person. This is from a Sunni source, but I think during namaz e janaza, people are supposed to say something like ' I have only seen good things from this person'. 

I had similar experience at my local imam bargah. People often say things like: jannat is not important for me, we are sure about going to jannat and we can even intercede for other people. They mostly say these things while they are reciting qaseedas. So I am not sure if they really believe all these things or it's just exaggeration in poetry. 

2 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

@LeftCoastMom Your a very prominent Person on here, whats ur take on this? 

In ur faith, is it assumed that everyone who lived a decent life (on the outside) and had some faith, is automatically in heaven?

We think only God knows who is going to heaven. In older times, it was usually presumed that only folks belonging to the " one true church" ( ours) had a shot at going  to heaven. Nowadays it's usually  thought that being a Catholic is the best way, but salvation is open to all. 

Although people like to think of ( and say) that their dearly departed is in heaven already as a saint ( and most pastors will not argue with that) , we have the concept of " purgatory " where  souls not yet ready to enter heaven can be purified. That isn't generally talked about too much with grieving families, though. Everyone hopes the person in question is in heaven.

20 minutes ago, AnotherShepherd said:

Is our time line mixed up? The day of judgment hasn't arrived so technically no one should be anywhere?  Someone enlighten me. 

There's something called as barzakh which is the period between death and yaum al-qiyamah. This period will serve as atonement of sin and reward for his good deeds. The small qabr is like mini heaven/hell. 

34 minutes ago, Lover of Ahlulbait (ams) said:

There's something called as barzakh which is the period between death and yaum al-qiyamah. This period will serve as atonement of sin and reward for his good deeds. The small qabr is like mini heaven/hell. 

Ive heard those who are martyred go directly to heaven (yes, right now) but rather in the form of birds. I.e, their soul is in one of the birds of Heaven, then theres the concept of Barzakh, but isn't this limited only to a certain criteria of people? Ive re-posted this Hadith before from someone on SC, maybe I can get some clarification, -

Imam Ja`far [a] said, "No one is interrogated in the grave except for a pure believer or a downright disbeliever. The rest are left alone." (al-Kafi, Volume 3, pp. 235)

The narrations indicate that only the very best and very worst people will have a reward or punishment in their grave. Most people are somewhere between the two, and they will be left alone until the Judgment.

@Qa'im Hadith guy to the rescue, any take on the meaning of this Hadith, someone on here once told me this is only limited to the "interrogation" and everyone will still need to go through the stage of Barzakh, contradictory or am I reading the Hadith wrong?

Edited by Bazzi_

4 hours ago, Bazzi_ said:

Why do so many people assume these days that everyone is just resting in heaven.... in our faith, is this allowed?

Everyone should have to pray that he ends up his life at khayr (goodness). The moment one face death is very important, what action one might be doing at that very time, will be critical for his placement in heaven & hell. The repentance will not benefit anyone once he see death approaching. Be not like Firon, who said I believe in the Lord of Mosa (a.s) while drowning in the sea.  

There is no wrong in keeping "husn-e-dhan" about the mercy of Allah and about own forgiveness and about own placement in heaven. Despairing from the mercy of Allah, itself is a sin. But in the meantime, one should remain conscious about his duties as well.

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ
"Say: O my servants! who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether; surely He is the Forgiving the Merciful." (39:53)

Strive hard to be His true servant, and Jannah will be yours In Sha Allah. Look at the promises of Allah:

"It is binding on Us (that) We deliver the believers" (10-103)
"And helping the believers is ever incumbent on Us" (30-47)
"And whoever is careful of (his duty to) Allah, He will make for him an outlet, and give him sustenance from whence he thinks not" (65:2-3)
"And whoever is careful of (his duty to) Allah He will make easy for him his affairs" (65:4)
"And whoever is careful of (his duty to) Allah, He will remove from him his evil and give him a big reward" (65:5)

What else anyone can want, after these promises?  Alhamdolillahe Rabbil Aalameen.

Edited by Salsabeel