Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

The problem of being fixated by miracles

Rate this topic

A Zimbabwean church pastor attempting to demonstrate how Jesus walked on water by crossing a river on foot was eaten alive when he was attacked by three crocodiles.

'He promised he would demonstrate his faith to us today, but he unfortunately ended up drowning and getting eaten by 3 large crocodiles in front of us.

'We still don’t understand how this happened because he fasted and prayed the whole week. They finished him in a couple of minutes.

'All that was left of him when they finished eating him is a pair of sandals and his underwear floating above the water.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4505420/Pastor-eaten-crocodiles-demonstrating-Jesus-water-walk.html#ixzz4h8Rui35m 

Interesting!

The pastor was probably unaware that there may be crocodiles in the rivers of Zimbabwe but there are none in the river Jordan.

Or if there are any, they are not many.

Let us hope that his sin of trying to demean his master is forgiven.

Until then, RIP, dear pastor.

One of the reader comments to this story is as follows:

Hang on, everyone is going on like God isn't real because the pastor got eaten. Crocodiles are Gods creatures too. Maybe they were hungry and prayed all week for food, so God sent them a man to eat :)

3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

adonbeleefit

its easy to laugh at them for this nutty stuff, but we shia fall for the exact same thing all the time. one time i saw a fake peer tell a guy "you are about to die in the next few weeks". guy freaked out cos he had 4 kids all under 16. after a few weeks of sweating the fake peer goes "my duas saved your life. in thanks to me, renovate my bathroom for me"

This is what happens when one does not read carefully. The warning against doing this sort of thing is in the Bible itself. 

Anyway, it's actually more insidious than being fixated on miracles.

It's using God as an ATM machine...." I did this, God, so now you do that." Including bending the laws and ways of nature. God can bend the laws and ways of nature when it serves God's purpose. God is not obligated to because you want to show off in front of your congregation. This isn't the first person I have heard of who came to grief because of this way of thinking.

^ bear in mind that there is a difference between the odd charlatan taking the mickey out of someone who's a bit simple and evangelical churches packing out thousands who've come to see people being healed.

Any religion that does this on an organised basis either needs to have some internal soul-searching or others need to do it for them.

7 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Any religion that does this on an organised basis either needs to have some internal soul-searching or others need to do it for them

the irony of the bits in red are funny...but not "Ha Ha" Funny. 

I am a big fan of james randi debunking these muppets. if you havent already I would totally recommend you check out some of his youtube vids. these fake millionaire christian pastors are an absolute disgrace. 

Hang on a second, my idea of religions taking a stance against purveyors of miracles may be a big difficult because the Pope canonises people on the basis of their having performed miracles, but I guess those need to pass some form of 'verification' @LeftCoastMom

"Miracles" all creeds may have them. You may find polytheistic Hindu ascetics doing amazing feats like levitation. You may read about Assasseen / Ismaili magical displays. If the Zimbabwean pastor had walked on water I would not have been surprised at all. You may find "peers" with surprises up their sleeves. The Antichrist will manage to recruit all zionists and affiliated creeds solely with his "miracles".

A miracle is not necessarily indicative of God.

Edited by Darth Vader

There are a lot of requirements for canonization beyond the required " miracles". That's why modern canonizations take so long. And, yes, the Church  office responsible for that  will look for any and  all other rational explanations to the phenomenon before declaring anything a " miracle". Or they are supposed to.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

22 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ bear in mind that there is a difference between the odd charlatan taking the mickey out of someone who's a bit simple and evangelical churches packing out thousands who've come to see people being healed.

Any religion that does this on an organised basis either needs to have some internal soul-searching or others need to do it for them.

Well, I am not an evangelical. Lol. You'd have to ask them why they do that. Catholic rites involving prayers and anointing for healing are normally done in private. God's will be done .Amen. No need for a circus.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

On 5/15/2017 at 8:15 AM, LeftCoastMom said:

Well, I am not an evangelical. Lol. You'd have to ask them why they do that. Catholic rites involving prayers and anointing for healing are normally done in private. God's will be done .Amen. No need for a circus.

Do not put God to the test. It's scriptural.

Trying to walk on croc infested water WILL bring you closer to your creator.

This somehow reminds me of the two seals that were rescued from the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Close to $90G spent on nursing them back to good health. Big ceremony, many people watching the release also witnessed them both eaten by the same killer whale minutes after. 

Circus being the key word. I have seen real healing. It's not done in a big church full of applause and a preacher saying Praise the Lord, while outstretching his arms towards the audience. It's done in a very solemn private ceremony where people first pray for their own cleansing.

Also big difference between curing an actual ailment and releasing spiritual oppression, which can also take on symptoms of ailments, often respiratory. You really need someone who knows the difference, and how to handle it.

Having a pseudo preacher agree with the oppression to give some temporary relief for the sake of the show is probably more common than not.  

If God decides to heal you, which can be done, (God willing), through proper faithful prayer, He doesn't do the "poof" thing. What I've seen is more gradual. I've heard people say they felt led to change their diet. That might be all the miracle required.