fighter

Combination of "DAILY" Prayers

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Salam,

I need proof from only shia books about combination of daily prayers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fighter said:

I need proof from only shia books about combination of daily prayers.

It is well known from Sunnis and Shias about the combining of prayers. As @shiaman14 mentioned, the prayers are not really combined, but offered close to each other in time. Some people read duas between the prayers, but those who have less time and need to return to work or class, for example, do not read duas between the prayers. Please consider these points:

1. The Hanafi school of law allows the combination of the daily prayers at Al-Muzdalifa during the Hajj. 

2. The Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali schools of law all agree on the permissibility of combining the prayers when one is travelling.

3. Some Sunnis (Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali) allow the combining of the prayers in the case of rain, travel, fear, or other emergencies. 

It is the Shia Ja'fari school of law that allows combining the prayers (zuhr then asr; maghrib then isha). When the Holy Prophet SA sometimes combined the prayers, it became a Sunnah practice and, therefore, is valid.

shiaman14 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allah (s.w.t.) says: “And keep up prayer in the two parts of the day and in the first hours of the night; surely good deeds take away evil deeds this is a reminder to the mindful.” (Surah Hud (11): Verse 114)

In this verse, the timings of prayers are again given clearly as three main times, which are as follows:-

First and Second: The parts of the day, which means morning, which is the starting part of the day, and afternoon which is the other part of the day, when timings of Zohr and Asr prayers start.

Third: The beginning of the night, which is the time of Maghrib and Isha prayers.

It is then very clear that timing of prayers in the Holy Quran, are three main items for five prayers.

First: From afternoon unto before sunset: for Zohr prayers followed by Asr prayers.

Second: From real sunset when night starts being the time for Maghrib and
Isha prayers.
Third: Morning Prayers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, shiaman14 said:

We dont combine our prayers.

We pray zuhr, then asr.

We pray maghrib, then isha.

Of course brother. I meant praying asr before the "asr time" and praying esha before the "isha time"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2017 at 10:39 AM, Hameedeh said:

It is well known from Sunnis and Shias about the combining of prayers. As @shiaman14 mentioned, the prayers are not really combined, but offered close to each other in time. Some people read duas between the prayers, but those who have less time and need to return to work or class, for example, do not read duas between the prayers. Please consider these points:

1. The Hanafi school of law allows the combination of the daily prayers at Al-Muzdalifa during the Hajj. 

2. The Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali schools of law all agree on the permissibility of combining the prayers when one is travelling.

3. Some Sunnis (Maliki, Shafi'i, and Hanbali) allow the combining of the prayers in the case of rain, travel, fear, or other emergencies. 

It is the Shia Ja'fari school of law that allows combining the prayers (zuhr then asr; maghrib then isha). When the Holy Prophet SA sometimes combined the prayers, it became a Sunnah practice and, therefore, is valid.

But I asked a hadith in support of combination from SHIA BOOKS. Because we must have a proper evidence for such a widely practiced sunnah. Every time we cannot use Sunni books for our conclusion. We know that shias have their own books and don't need to refer sunni sources except when there is some debate with them.

EhsanR likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fighter said:

But I asked a hadith in support of combination from SHIA BOOKS. Because we must have a proper evidence for such a widely practiced sunnah. 

This is why most Shias have a marja. Their marja has read the books and knows them, so if you have a question about prayers you look at the risalah of your marja. 

shiaman14 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-05-11 at 7:13 PM, fighter said:

Salam,

I need proof from only shia books about combination of daily prayers.

Wsalam

 

 
باب الجمع بين الصلاتين
Chapter on the combining of prayers
 
محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن علي بن الحكم، عن عبدالله بن بكير، عن زرارة، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام) قال: صلى رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) بالناس الظهر والعصر حين زالت الشمس في جماعة من غير علة وصلى بهم المغرب والعشاء الآخرة قبل سقوط الشفق من غير علة في جماعة وإنما فعل رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) ليتسع الوقت على امته (موثق)
 
1. Muhammad bin Yahya from Ahmad bin Muhammad from Ali bin Hakam from Abdallah bin Bukayr from Zurara (bin A’yan) from Abi Abdillah (a.s) who said : The messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) prayed with the people - the Dhuhr and the Asr (one immediately after the other) - when the sun had crossed the meridian (Zawal), in congregation, and without there being a necessitating cause (for it), and He (s.a.w.w) also prayed with them - the Maghrib and the Isha (one immediately after the other) - before the (complete) disappearance of the redness of the horizon (after sun set), without there being a necessitating cause, and (this too) in congregation, and verily the messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) did so in order to ease the burden of time upon his Ummah. 
(Muwathaq due to Abdallah bin Bukayr
 
NOTE : The Muwathaqa of Zurara is clear in the Rukhsah (dispensation) for combining, due to it being practised by the messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) as reported by the Imam,  and that too without in congregation, without there being a specific cause, and with the intention of easing the burden upon the Ummah.
 
 
 
shiaman14 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2017 at 11:12 PM, Hameedeh said:

This is why most Shias have a marja. Their marja has read the books and knows them, so if you have a question about prayers you look at the risalah of your marja. 

And where can I get the Risalah?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2017 at 0:27 AM, The Straight Path said:

Wsalam

 

 
باب الجمع بين الصلاتين
Chapter on the combining of prayers
 
محمد بن يحيى، عن أحمد بن محمد، عن علي بن الحكم، عن عبدالله بن بكير، عن زرارة، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام) قال: صلى رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) بالناس الظهر والعصر حين زالت الشمس في جماعة من غير علة وصلى بهم المغرب والعشاء الآخرة قبل سقوط الشفق من غير علة في جماعة وإنما فعل رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) ليتسع الوقت على امته (موثق)
 
1. Muhammad bin Yahya from Ahmad bin Muhammad from Ali bin Hakam from Abdallah bin Bukayr from Zurara (bin A’yan) from Abi Abdillah (a.s) who said : The messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) prayed with the people - the Dhuhr and the Asr (one immediately after the other) - when the sun had crossed the meridian (Zawal), in congregation, and without there being a necessitating cause (for it), and He (s.a.w.w) also prayed with them - the Maghrib and the Isha (one immediately after the other) - before the (complete) disappearance of the redness of the horizon (after sun set), without there being a necessitating cause, and (this too) in congregation, and verily the messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) did so in order to ease the burden of time upon his Ummah. 
(Muwathaq due to Abdallah bin Bukayr
 
NOTE : The Muwathaqa of Zurara is clear in the Rukhsah (dispensation) for combining, due to it being practised by the messenger of Allah (s.a.w.w) as reported by the Imam,  and that too without in congregation, without there being a specific cause, and with the intention of easing the burden upon the Ummah.
 
 
 

1. Is there only one such incident or many where the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) combined his prayers??

 

2. Is this hadith reliable?

 

3. What about our Imams, how did they pray? Any hadiths or literature. Please share?

JTJ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, fighter said:

1. Is there only one such incident or many where the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) combined his prayers??

 

2. Is this hadith reliable?

 

3. What about our Imams, how did they pray? Any hadiths or literature. Please share?

:bismillah:

I am not that knowledgable but from what I know:

 

* It is believed in Shia Islam that the most recommendable thing to do is to pray all the five prayers on their own five different times.

* It is believed that the Prophet S.A.W probably mostly prayed them separately, but as the hadith says, he prayed them combined as well and this was because he wanted "...to ease the burden of time upon his Ummah"

Therefore, it is believed that you are allowed to either pray them combined or separately. I am sure our Imams A.S and the Prophet S.A.W mostly prayed them separately, as it is the best and most recommendable thing to do.

 

And yes, I think this is reliable since it is "Muwathaqwhich is accepted if I'm not mistaken. 

 

Maybe the more knowledgeable brothers @Ozzy or @Qa'im could shed some more light on this.

 

Wsalam

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There are 3 times; salah offered during its time IS in its time, there is no such thing as praying before or after its time.
The discussion is when it is best to offer Zuhr (early), Asr (delayed), Magrib (Early), and Esha (delayed).
There is no need for a reason; the discussion of reason only comes up because other schools believed a reason was necessary.
The Malikiyya explain 'waqt mushtarak' as a period where both Zuhr/Asr and both Magrb/Esha can be offered within the same time period - regardless of the reasons discussed by other schools.

On 14/05/2017 at 7:57 PM, The Straight Path said:

I need proof from only shia books about combination of daily prayers.

On 14/05/2017 at 6:39 PM, fighter said:

But I asked a hadith in support of combination from SHIA BOOKS.

الكافي: علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن حماد، عن الحلبي، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام) قال: كان رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) إذا كان في سفر أو عجلت به حاجة يجمع بين الظهر والعصر وبين المغرب والعشاء قال: وقال أبوعبدالله (عليه السلام): لا بأس بأن تعجل عشاء الآخرة في السفر قبل ن يغيب الشفق

الكافي: عن الفضيل بن يسار قال: كان علي بن الحسين  يأمر الصبيان يجمعون بين المغرب والعشاء، ويقول: هو خير من أن يناموا عنها

من لا يحضره الفقيه للشيخ الصدوق: وروى عبد الله بن سنان عن الصادق عليه السلام «أن رسول الله صلالله عليه وآله جمع بين الظهر والعصر بأذان وإقامتين وجمع بين المغرب والعشاء في الحضر من غير علة بأذان وإقامتين

تهذيب الاحكام في شرح المقنعة للطوسي: روى الحسين بن سعيد عن ابن أبي عمير عن عمربن اذينة عن رهط منهم الفضيل وزرارة عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام ان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله جمع بين الظهر والعصر بأذان واقامتين، وجمع بين المغرب والعشاء بأذان واحد واقامتين

بحار الانوار عن نوادر الراوندي، بإسناده عن الكاظم عن أبيه عن جده عليه السلام قال: كان أبي علي  بن الحسين  يأمر الصبيان أن يصلوا المغرب والعشاء جميعا فقيل له يصلون الصلاة في غير وقتها قال هو خير من أن يناموا عنها
 

2 hours ago, fighter said:

1. Is there only one such incident or many where the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) combined his prayers??
2. Is this hadith reliable?
3. What about our Imams, how did they pray? Any hadiths or literature. Please share?

1. Travels, Medina, Hajj ... so quite a few times if not many times.
2. Yes, the above 5 narrations support the previous one, plus the sunni madhahib as well as the Zaydiyya and Ibadiyya literature also support it.
3. The narrations above are from Imams Sajjad, Baqir, Sadiq, and Kazim, عليهم السلام.

Edited by Ozzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 0:58 AM, The Straight Path said:

:bismillah:

I am not that knowledgable but from what I know:

 

* It is believed in Shia Islam that the most recommendable thing to do is to pray all the five prayers on their own five different times.

* It is believed that the Prophet S.A.W probably mostly prayed them separately, but as the hadith says, he prayed them combined as well and this was because he wanted "...to ease the burden of time upon his Ummah"

Therefore, it is believed that you are allowed to either pray them combined or separately. I am sure our Imams A.S and the Prophet S.A.W mostly prayed them separately, as it is the best and most recommendable thing to do.

But I don't understand if it is most recommendable to pray at different times, then why the entire Shia world combines the prayers?

I can understand people who are busy in earning and working they can combine. But why everyone? Are we not taking undue advantage of facility provided to us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 2:07 AM, Ozzy said:

There are 3 times; salah offered during its time IS in its time, there is no such thing as praying before or after its time.
The discussion is when it is best to offer Zuhr (early), Asr (delayed), Magrib (Early), and Esha (delayed).
There is no need for a reason; the discussion of reason only comes up because other schools believed a reason was necessary.
The Malikiyya explain 'waqt mushtarak' as a period where both Zuhr/Asr and both Magrb/Esha can be offered within the same time period - regardless of the reasons discussed by other schools.

الكافي: علي بن إبراهيم، عن أبيه، عن ابن أبي عمير، عن حماد، عن الحلبي، عن أبي عبدالله (عليه السلام) قال: كان رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) إذا كان في سفر أو عجلت به حاجة يجمع بين الظهر والعصر وبين المغرب والعشاء قال: وقال أبوعبدالله (عليه السلام): لا بأس بأن تعجل عشاء الآخرة في السفر قبل ن يغيب الشفق

الكافي: عن الفضيل بن يسار قال: كان علي بن الحسين  يأمر الصبيان يجمعون بين المغرب والعشاء، ويقول: هو خير من أن يناموا عنها

من لا يحضره الفقيه للشيخ الصدوق: وروى عبد الله بن سنان عن الصادق عليه السلام «أن رسول الله صلالله عليه وآله جمع بين الظهر والعصر بأذان وإقامتين وجمع بين المغرب والعشاء في الحضر من غير علة بأذان وإقامتين

تهذيب الاحكام في شرح المقنعة للطوسي: روى الحسين بن سعيد عن ابن أبي عمير عن عمربن اذينة عن رهط منهم الفضيل وزرارة عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام ان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله جمع بين الظهر والعصر بأذان واقامتين، وجمع بين المغرب والعشاء بأذان واحد واقامتين

بحار الانوار عن نوادر الراوندي، بإسناده عن الكاظم عن أبيه عن جده عليه السلام قال: كان أبي علي  بن الحسين  يأمر الصبيان أن يصلوا المغرب والعشاء جميعا فقيل له يصلون الصلاة في غير وقتها قال هو خير من أن يناموا عنها
 

1. Travels, Medina, Hajj ... so quite a few times if not many times.
2. Yes, the above 5 narrations support the previous one, plus the sunni madhahib as well as the Zaydiyya and Ibadiyya literature also support it.
3. The narrations above are from Imams Sajjad, Baqir, Sadiq, and Kazim, عليهم السلام.

Can you please translate for us?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, fighter said:

But I don't understand if it is most recommendable to pray at different times, then why the entire Shia world combines the prayers?

I can understand people who are busy in earning and working they can combine. But why everyone? Are we not taking undue advantage of facility provided to us?

So I conclude that combination, with reason is fine, but doing that every day WITHOUT ANY REASON is not allowed.

But then this puts entire shia world in a huge problem because most of the people combine without any genuine reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM, fighter said:

But I don't understand if it is most recommendable to pray at different times, then why the entire Shia world combines the prayers?

I can understand people who are busy in earning and working they can combine. But why everyone? Are we not taking undue advantage of facility provided to us?

It is also something that some of  the companions of the imams would do, so there is a precedent for it, although you can see from many narrations that the usual thing for the Imams to do was to separate between the prayers.

In answer to your question, combining the prayer times has become part of the Shi'a identity,  whilst that may not be the reason that most of us do it more often than not, it is the reason why it is a habit that will continue.

Edited by Ali_Hussain
Hameedeh likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fighter said:

So I conclude that combination, with reason is fine, but doing that every day WITHOUT ANY REASON is not allowed.

As Br. @Ali_Hussain said, combining the prayers has been in practice a very long time. When the Holy Prophet SA did something one time, it becomes a Sunnah and he SA prayed combined (Zuhr & Asr as well as Maghrib & Isha) on different occasions, according to hadith. So Shias can say their prayers combined.

The reason that most Shias pray combined might be because they don't know when the times for prayer are. If there is no masjid where you live, you won't hear adhan outside your window. praytime.info website has adhan times for all five prayers for people who are able to space their prayers apart. Please see this post where the options have been explained, with an image about the five adhans:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 6/1/2017 at 3:58 AM, Hameedeh said:

When the Holy Prophet SA did something one time, it becomes a Sunnah and he SA prayed combined (Zuhr & Asr as well as Maghrib & Isha) on different occasions, according to hadith. So Shias can say their prayers combined.

Okay. But Holy Prophet(pbuh) prayed separately oftentimes and combined very few times (with or without reason). Should we also call this sunnah and follow it??

Edited by fighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 3:58 AM, Hameedeh said:

The reason that most Shias pray combined might be because they don't know when the times for prayer are. If there is no masjid where you live, you won't hear adhan outside your window.

With due respect I don't agree with this. I don't know about rest of the world but in India we have Ahle sunnat masjids praying azaan all 5 times through loudspeakers and yet shias don't separate their prayers.

Ali_Hussain likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fighter said:

Okay. But Holy Prophet(pbuh) prayed separately oftentimes and combined very few times (with or without reason). Should we also call this sunnah and follow it??

Either praying five separate prayers (fajr, zuhr, asr, maghrib and isha) at five separate times OR praying five separate prayers (fajr, zuhr, asr, maghrib and isha) during three periods of time are both the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet SA. Shias are allowed to choose the method of their prayers, either way. Islam is not hard. "Allah desires that He should make light your burdens, and man is created weak." [Holy Qur'an 4:28]

2 hours ago, fighter said:

in India we have Ahle sunnat masjids praying azaan all 5 times through loudspeakers

Alhamdulillah. You are so lucky to hear adhan from your windows. Allah accept all your prayers.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-11 at 1:13 PM, fighter said:

Salam,

I need proof from only shia books about combination of daily prayers.

Fellow brother we dont combine Salat. We Dhuhr then Asr. Maghrib then Isha. This is the practice of Rasoolalah. But it is an optional practice. You can pray those prayers separately if you will. 

Islandsandmirrors likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.