Ali-F

What (wisely things) should I do in my gap year?

So, I'm soon done (thank God) with school, and I'm sure some of you have noticed by reading some of my previous topics.

Nevertheless, I've decided to have a gap year, like many of my friends. Now, I've surely managed to find a job (which is quite important if you want to earn some money and also save money). But I don't feel this is enough. I'm going to have some free time, and I want to know, what I could do with this free time? 

First of all, I've decided to probably do some of these things:

1) Get a driving license 

2) Learn Arabic (writing and reading)

3) Begin fitness :P 

4. Travel to 1) London to watch the best team in the world aka West Ham United and 2) Ziyarat.

Now, what else could I try to do in my gap year, which will become beneficial for me and my future life? I really don't want to waste my time by sitting home on Facebook and Twitter, and not do anything beneficial. 

I can't wait to read your advice. Thanks! :-) 

I don't have a lot of suggestions for you but I'm interested to see what others will advise you. Btw, these are the things I usually plan on doing which I never actually did:

• Read books on a daily basis
  • Memorize a few words from the dictionary every day to improve your vocabulary
  • Learn some art (Sketching, Playing an instrument etc)
Edited by Shian e Ali

34 minutes ago, Shian e Ali said:

I don't have a lot of suggestions for you but I'm interested to see what others will advise you. Btw, these are the things I usually plan on doing which I never actually did:

• Read books on a daily basis
  • Memorize a few words from the dictionary every day to improve your vocabulary
  • Learn some art (Sketching, Playing an instrument etc)

uhh no , dont learn an instrument!!!

1. Volunteer somewhere, like a library or a homeless shelter,

2. Take active role in charity (organizations),

3. Journal once a day

4. Take yoga/meditation classes and socialize.

5. Get out of the house to do something fun with friends every week or so,

6. Take up a lesson you find interesting, something fun like pottery or art or learning an instrument

7. Learn a new language

8. Get a part time job

9. Travel by car with friends to a nearby city, somewhere by a lake or an ocean. 

@Ali-F

learn arabic (reading and writing)

learn how to read the Quran with proper tajwid (This is more important than writing arabic)

spend free time going to the gym and get fit and you should be busy and productive

^ driving lessons!! Fitness?? In a Gap Year?? 

Do something for which you won't have the expansiveness of time for a long time to come.

See a country or a group of countries using local trains and buses. If you want to learn a foreign language do an immersive course in a relevant country or even some volunteering work there.

Do a photographic tour of Iran's lesser known mosques.

Edited by Haji 2003

Volunteer with an organization that you admire.

Gain training in a skill, such as auto repair or electrician. You don't have to make a career in skilled work, but it's always handy to know some things. If it's related to your planned future career, even better. 

It would be easy to combine these two. 

@Ali-F Seriously? discover who you are, and who you want to be. 

some people need to travel, some need to study, some need to find a cause. everyone is different. find something that excites a passion in you, and enjoy it as much as you can for a year. could be anything from backpacking to volunteering in a soup kitchen to working in industry to ziarat to reading 1000 books to crossing off your bucket list. find who you are, then when you return to "normal" life you are in a way better position

Just now, notme said:

@DigitalUmmah that's a very good answer, but many young adults have no idea what excites them. Up to now, they've been simply doing as they are told. It usually takes a lot more than a year to find yourself. 

I had a friend in college who was in a similar position. I went straight to uni while he decided to take a gap year. he didnt know what his passion was either. he found his passion by starting off doing something he thought was pretty cool - volunteering for a summer camp thing that you americans send your kids off to in summer holidays. from there he made friends and went on further journeys with people he met there and so on. bit by bit he spent the whole year exploring every nook and cranny of north and south america. didnt really cost him that much either cos he usually worked cash in hand to fund his next trip or relied on the kindness of people he just met. 

i would suggest something like this. start something small that interests you that you would like to try, be flexible and see where it goes

السلام عليكم و مساء الخير

I would take a gap year, but I don't think when the time comes my family will let me take one. Lol I'm getting so annoyed by high school my family thinks I'll go on "ziyarat" in Najaf then just run away and hide in the Old City until I'm 18.

But my suggestions would be:

●Take an Arabic immersion course in an Arab country! I'd recommend Oman, because there are a lot of programs available and it's not sectarian over there. But there are programs everywhere.

●Ziarat. There are so many tours which go to Iran, Iraq, Syria and Saudi Arabia, along with some going to Egypt. There are like 50 different ones in the ME.

● Learn some new skills! Art, writing, poetry, sports, working out... find stuff you like.

●Relax. Thats kind of the point of a gao year. Just do what you love, chill out and take a break from society.

Apart from the ones you have listed, I will add some:

1- Set your goals in terms of fitness and follow it strictly.

2- Volunteer abroad with an organization. I know some clubs make you go abroad and get you to help the local communities. I know AIESEC(worldwide organization) have great programs you might want to look into.

4- Develop certain skills which you might lack in. For example, If you want to improve your public speaking then find volunteering opportunities which require you to speak to a large audience. 

5- Take part in a debating society. I have joined a debating club like a couple of months back and it helps you grow a lot and become more confident.

6- As @shiaman14 said, watch a Liverpool FC match at Anfield because it is a decent team.

7- Be part of an organising committee for an event. The feeling of accomplishment after the event turns out to be a success is great.

8- Sit by the river and chill.

9- Give time to parents, If you live with them. Take out time to talk to your parents more then you would normally do. Help your parents around the house too.

10- Go out to nice restaurants with friends.

18 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

Go to Ziyarat and learn Arabic and Farsi, if you can. 

I plan to do that, inshallah. By saving money, I'll be able to visit Ahle Bayt (as)

17 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ driving lessons!! Fitness?? In a Gap Year?? 

Do something for which you won't have the expansiveness of time for a long time to come.

See a country or a group of countries using local trains and buses. If you want to learn a foreign language do an immersive course in a relevant country or even some volunteering work there.

Do a photographic tour of Iran's lesser known mosques.

Here, my parents are very strict. They don't want me to sit at home (lol). My thoughts about the gap year is not "just" to relax, but rather to do the things, which I couldn't do in high school e.g., getting a driving license and so on. My whole reason, first of all with the gap year, is that I really don't know what I want to do: Is it politics, maybe something else? It is a tough decision. 

17 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

3) Support a real football team like Liverpool.

Thanks for the laugh :D

17 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

@Ali-F Seriously? discover who you are, and who you want to be. 

some people need to travel, some need to study, some need to find a cause. everyone is different. find something that excites a passion in you, and enjoy it as much as you can for a year. could be anything from backpacking to volunteering in a soup kitchen to working in industry to ziarat to reading 1000 books to crossing off your bucket list. find who you are, then when you return to "normal" life you are in a way better position

Indeed, but sometimes you need money to do things you want. Therefore, I have to do the boring first.

1 hour ago, Ali-F said:

They don't want me to sit at home (lol). My thoughts about the gap year is not "just" to relax, but rather to do the things, which I couldn't do in high school e.g., getting a driving license and so on.

This is not really making a lot of sense.

Granted your parents don't want you to sit at home, but I wasn't suggesting that you do! Quite the reverse, I was saying you should do some extended international travel.

But a driving licence is something you can do together with a university degree, a job or anything else.

If you have a job interview and they ask what you did in your gap year and you say you learnt to drive, they'll expect you to be the sort of person who's still stacking shelves in their 40s.

21 hours ago, Ali-F said:

So, I'm soon done (thank God) with school, and I'm sure some of you have noticed by reading some of my previous topics.

Nevertheless, I've decided to have a gap year, like many of my friends. Now, I've surely managed to find a job (which is quite important if you want to earn some money and also save money). But I don't feel this is enough. I'm going to have some free time, and I want to know, what I could do with this free time? 

First of all, I've decided to probably do some of these things:

1) Get a driving license 

2) Learn Arabic (writing and reading)

3) Begin fitness :P 

4. Travel to 1) London to watch the best team in the world aka West Ham United Chelsea and 2) Ziyarat.

Now, what else could I try to do in my gap year, which will become beneficial for me and my future life? I really don't want to waste my time by sitting home on Facebook and Twitter, and not do anything beneficial. 

I can't wait to read your advice. Thanks! :-)