Rate this topic

On 04/05/2017 at 4:34 PM, hasanhh said:

"quite a bit of work into it."

The word "work" requires "productive effort".

Taking SCer's threads and throwing them into a bigger toy-boxes doesn't meet that requirement.

You have made me rethink my statements. When I made that post I was thinking about how the admin who did this may be feeling about the backlash. Sometimes I make posts in threads to balance things out.

I don't have the right to say that a lot of work went into it. I don't know how hard it was to combine the subforums. It may have been a matter of a few clicks or maybe much more than that. It troubles me that mods were not consulted and some admins say that they had no input. This is something that I was not aware of.

I may get into a bit of trouble for saying this but I really think this sort of thing needs to be rectified. E.g. I once started a thread asking members their opinions on allowing users to change their usernames as often as they want. A majority of members agreed with me that it was not good for the forum, and then an admin shifted the discussion to the mod forum. In the mod forum a majority of participating mods and admins also wanted an end to unconditional and unlimited name changes. But one admin (with some sort of support from another) wanted to keep things as they were and that was the end of that. No good reasons given no good arguments made.

Remember that really long thread on homosexuality? Some impressive points were made in that thread. The OP of the thread requested for it to be removed, and with one click an admin removed it! Hours upon hours of effort removed with just a single click. I could see the hidden thread as a mod but ordinary members couldn't. I may want to read it in the future and maybe I should ask for it to be unhidden. Why couldn't they just remove the OP's post instead of removing hundreds of other posts?

My intention is not to attack or hurt the people who made these decisions but to tell them that there is much benefit in consulting people. Even the Quran says to the Prophet {s} 3:159 ... and consult them in the matter ...

Edited by Muhammed Ali

On 5/6/2017 at 3:27 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

You are missing the point completely. I dont know why people keep commenting on the amount of work that went into creating this disaster, as though that magically makes it all worthwhile. Thats like praising the efforts of a moron who spent 12 hours trying to ice skate uphill.

The first issue is that the structure was what made SC so brilliant.

Yes there were a lot of forums and many of them were slow, and sure, it could have used a bit of tweaking, but each forum was focused, so it was easy to enjoy threads all within the same topic such as science, poetry, ....................................................

142.jpg

16 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Lol.

This reminds me. We have professional recording studios at work. Only you have to agree budgets (they cost a lot - even if it is internal costs), do paperwork etc. And it takes time. Then you have to get another department involved for recording and hosting videos on our sites.

I was given responsibility for something but there was no budget for video.

So I recorded some videos on my Mac (using its in-built mic) at home and put them on youtube. All I needed was permission from within the organisation that were allowed to host corporate videos on youtube. The result works reasonably well.

I did consider just buying regular USB mike and headphones, and basic recording software, but the quality really does make a huge difference when you compare it with "real" mikes, the ones that you have to plug into an amp/ fader, and the amp into your PC. the biggest thing for me was the background buzz, its one of those things that once you learn to spot it, you cant ever "unhear" it in any audio. so I ended up going crazy and buying all the extra stuff too like a pop guard and stand and music sheet holders. 

I think the video recording is different, I am assuming 1080p is 1080p whether you use a laptop or mobile or camcorder?

is there any word if/ when the thinkers discourse will be restored, or shall we just write it off?

if someone wanted to view the old threads, which current forum would they need to search in?

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

is there any word if/ when the thinkers discourse will be restored, or shall we just write it off?

if someone wanted to view the old threads, which current forum would they need to search in?

Thinker's Discourse is not coming back but we are working out details for a replacement eventually. It isn't at the top of the priority list. Thinker's Discourse was a great idea, but it ended up being just general discussions that needed extra moderation.

I don't know where it's been moved. Some of the topics belonged in Social, and others in Islamic discussions. If you've recently posted in a topic there, find it through your profile post list. Otherwise, search for a topic that you remember.

15 minutes ago, notme said:

Thinker's Discourse is not coming back but we are working out details for a replacement eventually. It isn't at the top of the priority list. Thinker's Discourse was a great idea, but it ended up being just general discussions that needed extra moderation.

I don't know where it's been moved. Some of the topics belonged in Social, and others in Islamic discussions. If you've recently posted in a topic there, find it through your profile post list. Otherwise, search for a topic that you remember.

ah, it was bound to happen :( it was a great idea.

maybe replace it with a "commonly asked questions" forum or summat? I remember something similar to that was started but seems to have petered out. it might go hand in hand with @Haji 2003 idea of most popular threads, so it could possibly be a subforum under that

Edited by DigitalUmmah

I think you need to gear this website as both a forum, and a place where people can access information. I've been here a while, and these are my suggestions:

1. Each forum has way too many out-dated stickied threads. If you consider that shiachat is often one of the first places sunni's engage with shia's [online], and where shia's themselves come to find information [even if the vast majority don't make an account or post - as in the past there was far too much red-tape], we need to make things very clear, easy, and accessible.

Each-subforum should have threads, with key resources, FAQ's, and a special thread with hand-picked 'best threads' for that section. I agree with @Muhammed Ali in that shiachat was also an archive of information. Ofcourse, one must sort the wheat from the chaff, but this is needed.

I think having one thread for each Imam asws was a great idea initially, but i personally feel they could all be bunched into one thread,- a fresh new thread- and a moderator who locks the thread could make each post for one Imam, with key links, resources and video's on that Imam asws [or gets support from us to create the information].

We need to have a hadith subforum, and the stickied thread has to be key links to our ahadith corpus - translated in english as well as other languages, so this kind of information is easy and accessible. Again 'best threads' should be stickied here - and the ones i feel that ought to be included in this catagory are threads by islamic salvation, q'aim, which have essentially translated whole hosts of our material never translated before or to the same quality. I would also appreciate an ilm al rijal sub-forum within a sub-forum [like we had before]. Or if you deem that forum not to be as active, make a thred and sticky it for ilm al rijal.

The idea is, have the best of both worlds. Modify the website to what is needed for a good forum, but also make it an archive that is just more streamlined. There is far too much quality on this website, and we need to make that accessible within each subforum.

And i really must again emphasize, shia muslims are generally terrible at dawah efforts [as a group mind]. We have terrible revert support systems in our mosque. The very least we can do is have a hub for reverts here - a sub forum , where they can have their stories and concerns compiled, with updated threads [essential they are updated]. This itself can be an archive for reverts.  Remember, shiachat is not just a forum , it is also a place many non-registered members come for information, it is an archive of information.

28 minutes ago, QuranandAhlulbayt said:

And i really must again emphasize, shia muslims are generally terrible at dawah efforts [as a group mind]. We have terrible revert support systems in our mosque. The very least we can do is have a hub for reverts here - a sub forum , where they can have their stories and concerns compiled, with updated threads [essential they are updated]. This itself can be an archive for reverts.  

I disagree. When I was a brand new revert I didn't want my own separate reverts community. It would be helpful to have a pinned resource thread with how to pray, how to fast, basics of Shia belief, et cetera, but I don't think an entire dedicated forum is necessary or even beneficial. 

But if enough others want it and the rest of the team decides it is needed, we can add it back. 

5 minutes ago, notme said:

I disagree. When I was a brand new revert I didn't want my own separate reverts community. It would be helpful to have a pinned resource thread with how to pray, how to fast, basics of Shia belief, et cetera, but I don't think an entire dedicated forum is necessary or even beneficial. 

But if enough others want it and the rest of the team decides it is needed, we can add it back. 

As as revert, your opinion does hold weight.

Having said that, as someone who has spent a lot of time around sunni's, non-muslims, and studying the psychology behind reversion and the support systems sunni's have to the ones shia's have - especially online, i think an exception should be made, irrespective of the activity, for the revert sub-forum.

If a thread is pinned in another subforum,  it might get lost among other pinned threads.

Reverts , or those thinking of reverting, need clear access to information. A subforum in its own right, with a number of pinned threads as reverts require more information than fiqh issues, with the whole host of other revert threads that used to be there. It can help them read about the situations of others, know which users are reverts, how to network, and no matter how unactive, nonregistered users who merely read threads on shiachat greatly benefit. It also can contain a host of different stories so other people can learn from the advice given on the threads.

Without a revert subforum, i sincerely feel shiachat, being the only active online english shia forum and the first port of call for many reverts who , lets be honest, are given terrible real life support in the khoja/indopak/iraqi/etc mosques which are cliquey and less diverse.

Edited by QuranandAhlulbayt

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, Muhammed Ali said:

You have made me rethink my statements. Thanks for the complement..

Remember that really long thread on homosexuality? Some impressive points were made in that thread. The OP of the thread requested for it to be removed, and with one click an admin removed it! Hours upon hours of effort removed with just a single click. I could see the hidden thread as a mod but ordinary members couldn't. I may want to read it in the future and maybe I should ask for it to be unhidden. Why couldn't they just remove the OP's post instead of removing hundreds of other posts?

? lf we are thinking of the same thread -the only one of these (in subject) l participated in- where @Gaius I. Caesar and Abbass (SP?)  and l were posting in?

l wondered where that went when l wanted to look up again the "k" word Gaius used.

:ranting:

11 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

As a compromise just revert to the blue colour. The green is a bit much.

And I started to like the green. It would be nice if there would be more option than one color.

Edited by Dhulfikar

Why was the converts section taken down? This was a place where converts shared their stories.  I can't find anything anymore.  Please put a subsection for converts.

Sc was not broken and it didnt need fixing.  

Sooooo annoying.