Rate this topic

1 hour ago, notme said:

Don't do it! At least not until we know how to turn it back on!

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

awesome - thanks. 

Abbas. fixed it now.  Feel free to turn off the floating button now if you don't like it.

@Abbas. you're the best!

5 minutes ago, notme said:

Abbas. fixed it now.  Feel free to turn off the floating button now if you don't like it.

@Abbas. you're the best!

thanks guys! the chat seems pretty good you know. certainly an improvement to the one-above-AOL-chat we used to have. 

what other features can be implemented on the platform? audio? video? attachments? formatting?

2 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Do I need to teach a course on Effective Change Management???

Change is always more effective when communicated before the change takes place.

Its more dissapointing than anything else.

We will inevitably get familiar with it, and move on, but it could have been managed so much better, to produce something so much better.

All this change only to have 99% of the users go "this is rubbish" isnt great.

Especially since the core management and even the development team - who were hired specifically for jobs like this - were not even involved! Ive never seen anything like it! 

Anyway its done now. The chat migration was done excellently mashaAllah. The rest of the website we will just get used to. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum 

This is make shiachat great again. 

I think color of forum should be voted.

Chatroom is nice but pms within the chatroom should be available for vetern members.  We deserve better! 

Sc was not cluttered before, the politics section was divided up fine, if I wanted to discuss about Iran, Yemen, Lebanon I knew where to go.  Now it is all bundled into one.  Very chaotic and bizarre.  

Where is the countdown clock  for ramadan, you can put it up eastern standard time tehran time europe time difference.  Something different and exciting to enjoy the holy month of ramadhan.

I look forward to one day seeing children from vetern members getting on sc. I will most definitely tell my children about it.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

How about you guys giving it a chance before all this crying? Seriously, you guys behave like this in school and at work too? Management gave this responsibility to 1 person, 1 person that has spent lots of hours trying to make this place better, and you guys go off like this person has insulted your family. 

Get a grip!

3 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

Do I need to teach a course on Effective Change Management???

Change is always more effective when communicated before the change takes place.

This isn't a software release project. And i suspect it would be equally bad whining if we did communicate it with 2000 people wanting it their way. Just give it a chance. 

56 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Anyway its done now. The chat migration was done excellently mashaAllah. The rest of the website we will just get used to. 

I don't know how I am supposed to get used to finding the pictures thread or the eating thread, before I knew which forums they were in and they'd usually be near the top, so it was easy to find them.

So I guess, i am not going to post to those any more.

I posted about brilliant.org on the education forum and some people saw that thread when I posted it and some others would see it a few weeks/months later. But now unless someone sees what you post when you post it, it's deffo going to get lost in amongst a welter of other stuff.

So any posts people like me made for future reference/information, there's no point in making any more.

Happy to keep posting garbage here, though.

16 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I don't know how I am supposed to get used to finding the pictures thread or the eating thread, before I knew which forums they were in and they'd usually be near the top, so it was easy to find them.

I posted about brilliant.org on the education forum and some people saw that thread when I posted it and some others would see it a few weeks/months later. But now unless someone sees what you post when you post it, it's deffo going to get lost in amongst a welter of other stuff.

So any posts people like me made for future reference/information, there's no point in making any more.

Happy to keep posting garbage here, though.

Er well. Yes. Exactly. I was trying to put a brave face on. 

But hey, its all part of "making shiachat great again" so i guess you count as "fake news"

22 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Me too, similar. I don't tend to create the games or other high traffic low engagement topics either, though I'm not averse to playing along with existing ones if I am bored and looking for mindless entertainment. 

But what do I know? Maybe I'm just old and the young people want inanity. 

8 hours ago, enigma313 said:

I love the green colours, it's so nice.  Thank you to mods and admins who made this change. 

Although I don't like this change, it is the sincere opinion of someone and they must have put a quite a bit of work into it. So we must give them credit for that. I really wish there was a way to find the place of older threads. Maybe they could have kept the structure of the website as an archive somewhere and placed a link to it?

2 minutes ago, Muhammed Ali said:

Maybe they could have kept the structure of the website as an archive somewhere and placed a link to it?

I suspect it's not possible to map the structure, but when I've asked directly nobody has answered. 

17 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

But hey, its all part of "making shiachat great again" so i guess you count as "fake news"

It's all part of nothing.

Board structure is how you implement your vision about what a site is about and what it seeks to achieve.

But we've never had those conversations. If we had, I'd have said that in a world of shia tv stations and al-islam.org, shiachat has a place where people can find reasonably up-to-date practical Shia lifestyle information.

But the latter needs a board structure that facilitates archiving. The latest one doesn't.

What this set-up does facilitate is even more threads about mutah and masturbation - because as a moderator it's much harder now to direct people to threads where those have been discussed.

1 hour ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Its more dissapointing than anything else.

We will inevitably get familiar with it, and move on, but it could have been managed so much better, to produce something so much better.

All this change only to have 99% of the users go "this is rubbish" isnt great.

Especially since the core management and even the development team - who were hired specifically for jobs like this - were not even involved! Ive never seen anything like it! 

Change is never easy to accept but inevitable.  My understanding is the work all the Admins and Mods so is pro-bono and as such they do a bang up job of it.

55 minutes ago, repenter said:

This isn't a software release project. And i suspect it would be equally bad whining if we did communicate it with 2000 people wanting it their way. Just give it a chance. 

I didnt complain brother. As I was telling someone on SC chat, I am the first to accept any kind of change and very readily.

Any change is hard to make and hard to accept and if you asked 2,000 users for their opinions you would have 2,000 flavors of SC so dictatorship goes a long way in implementing change.

Let people gripe on this thread, give their 2 cents and keep doing what you guys do.

All I want to know is what Forum to go fight about tatbir on and where to find the next mutah discussion.

And I disagree - this is a new release. A GUI change is change nonetheless.

Edited by shiaman14

3 minutes ago, notme said:

I suspect it's not possible to map the structure, but when I've asked directly nobody has answered. 

I dunno if its still this way but I used to be admin of a small forum with a similar software set up to SC. basically it was a "drag and drop" where if you wanted to merge forums you would use simple logic statements like "move all threads from X forum into Y forum" or "move <something> that <fills this criteria> to <some action>

I don't think the structure can be mapped. the only thing possible is whoever did the moving manually types up a list of what got moved to where and why, so at least if you mods need to search, you will have some starting point. the rest of us will just have to get by as best we can. 

its like the second page of google - no one visits there any more. from now on if something isnt on the first page it doesnt exist. get used to wading through 4 pages of masturbation threads if you want to dig out an interesting science thread from a few weeks ago you want to revisit. 

14 minutes ago, shiaman14 said:

Any change is hard to make and hard to accept and if you asked 2,000 users for their opinions you would have 2,000 flavors of SC so dictatorship goes a long way in implementing change.

the thing is, SC has been around 20 years, and there's been several generations of mod/ admin teams, software upgrades, and all kinds of changes over the years. the structure of SC was honed and perfected by the combined efforts of 2 decades of mods, admins and users. its not like it grew like weeds and needed pruning because no one realised how big its gotten. needing to simplify it because a lot of forums were dead was thought of years ago, and decided against, specifically for the reasons @Haji 2003 has already listed. 

its not about 2000 opinions and no one is happy - its about communicating with people who know what they are talking about, to do it properly the first time. right now on the forum there are plenty of people who have been around since the early 2000s and who could have been used as a resource. fine, an admin was given sole responsibility. that doesn't mean he alone must do everything in secret does it? 

and the fact that the shiachat development team and mods were not even involved or knew about it until it was too late is, well, disgraceful. 

but anyway. I am trying not to get as irritated with this entire debacle as I want to. Its done now. nothing we can do, and its obvious no ones opinions matter, least of all the people who post every day without whom there isnt even a shiachat. 

So basically all the concerns everyone has voiced are irrelevant?

Why not just say so, bosses??? Why let the public expend energy on suggestions that can't be implemented?

Edited by notme

No changes are permanent, of course if there is something that a lot of members point out that is missing, it can be re implemented.

At the end of the day, the changes arnt done to make anyone unhappy.

Lets try and specifically and concretely specify into one sentence per issue what we believe is lacking or has been removed that one thinks had a important function.

And then iA it will be reviewed and if possible implemented, as i stated, i believe the changes are made to make us happy or as happy as possible.

10 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

and the fact that the shiachat development team and mods were not even involved or knew about it until it was too late is, well, disgraceful. 

Bro, the site is run by Muslims, it's how we do things, part of our DNA, look at any Imambara is the management there any different to this place?

24 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Its done now. nothing we can do

Actually, a backup of the databse (of which there must be many) will contain the old forum structure and all of its threads. With a bit of work it is possible to put things back exactly how they were. Any software developer would know this.

Another problem that occured to me is that people will now be less willing to start threads because they can't see a place for them. E.g. if you saw a cooking subforum, you may think "maybe I should start a thread on cooking". Now that thought wont even occur.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

15 minutes ago, notme said:

Why not just say so, bosses??? Why let the public expend energy on suggestions that can't be implemented?

When I was a mod (until yesterday) I did suggest a few times that admins take the majority view on contentious issues or at least have a standard decision making process.

I say it publically now that SC needs a constitution on decision making processes. The view of one or two individuals should not be imposed if many others disagree with it.

@Haji 2003 @notme

Hey, I found both the threads, the eat thread and the pic thread. They are both in the subforum "Clubhouse", just like it says in the description:

"An off-topic and community-oriented place for the ShiaChatter to hang out. Enjoy off-topic conversations and share interesting poetry, articles, graphics, videos, links, reviews, or whatever else! Need help with an assignment or a task? Got a problem with your car? Can't get your computer to work? Post your problems here and have us help you out. Questions and inquires related to local communities are also welcome."

Some times when I am looking for a thread that I have previously posted in but cant find i just go into my own profile and look at "See my activity" which will list all of the posts I have made, so I just backtrack that way.

Anyways, here they are:

24 minutes ago, notme said:

You believe the voices were expressed in a constructive manner?

10 minutes ago, repenter said:

You believe the voices were expressed in a constructive manner?

Most, yes. 

Of course there will always be people who disagree just for the sake of disagreement, but in this discussion it looks like at least most people clearly explained their reasons for their concerns in a reasonably polite manner. 

If mistakes have been made that can't be fixed, that's ok, that's part of life. A mature person will admit to them. I'm not saying the entire consolidation is a mistake. I just think some errors were made. I've mentioned them elsewhere and they were not explained satisfactorily.

If you guys meant to cram everything under the sun into two unnavigable forums I disagree with that choice, but it's not my decision to make. Just own it. 

All we (the people) want is to understand what is going on. Is this it, how things are going to remain? Was it a conscious choice or a mistake? Is it still a work in progress? Are people's concerns on the forum reorganization going to be actually addressed, or just dismissed as they have been up to now?

(Apologies if you are one of the people and do not wish for me to be your representative. I just figured someone had to do it and brother repenter quoted me when he asked.)