Rate this topic

Hey guys:

So a few changes were made to the site. This was after discussion among Admins. Most noticeably:

1. The theme colors have been changed to green, a more Islamic color. 

2. Subforums were merged. We had too many, a lot were barren, redundant, and uneccessary. Having that many subforums might have been ok years ago when membership and posts were high, but with the decline of activity here, it makes more sense to consolidate. This should give a better experience for everyone. 

3. The new chat feature being worked on.

I know some people don't like change. But as often the case, most people will get used to it. Overall change is for the best and it's long overdue. 

'Society' is a total mess. Everything's been just dumped there. The Social, family and marriage issues was a great forum and always had enough activity. Now family issues advice thread are going to be with the food thread and video game threads??? Wow! someone's ideas of 'greatness'.

[Edit] 'Food pics' with masturbation threads and video games while looking at cool periodic tables 

Edited by starlight

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Society' is a total mess. Everything's been just dumped there. The Social, family and marriage issues was a great forum and always had enough activity. Now family issues advice thread are going to be with the food thread and video game threads??? 

I agree with all this, but I'm assuming it's still a work in progress. Definitely "society" needs more work. 

I'd like to see labels prefixed on topic titles that are targeted toward brothers only or sisters only or were in one of these forums. I don't want to accidentally read about private male issues and I'm sure plenty of others feel the same!

I actually like the color scheme on my phone. I haven't seen it yet on an actual computer. 

At least revert the leaderboard to top ten instead of top four.  It gave the regular members a positive feeling to see their names in the top contributors . With just four, three out of these four are always going to mods/admins. This site is not about the moderating team, it's about the members. 

37 minutes ago, notme said:

I agree with all this, but I'm assuming it's still a work in progress. Definitely "society" needs more work. 

I'd like to see labels prefixed on topic titles that are targeted toward brothers only or sisters only or were in one of these forums. I don't want to accidentally read about private male issues and I'm sure plenty of others feel the same!

Agree. IMO it would have been better to implement these changes gradually in small discrete steps giving the members time to get used them instead of one big overhaul changing everything from forum setup and colour in one go and leaving everyone confused and lost.  

3 minutes ago, starlight said:

At least revert the leaderboard to top ten instead of top four.  It gave the regular members a positive feeling to see their names in the top contributors . With just four, three out of these four are always going to mods/admins. This site is not about the moderating team, it's about the members. 

Or not include mods/admins on the leader board at all? But yes, top ten is better than top four. More people get to feel included. 

22 minutes ago, Miss Wonderful said:

ahsan min el blue yahoodi color. plz leave it green, it feels happier and more muslimyier.

Ma3ek ha2, bas I'm just not used to it.

3 hours ago, magma said:

Hey guys:

So a few changes were made to the site. This was after discussion among Admins. Most noticeably:

1. The theme colors have been changed to green, a more Islamic color. 

2. Subforums were merged. We had too many, a lot were barren, redundant, and uneccessary. Having that many subforums might have been ok years ago when membership and posts were high, but with the decline of activity here, it makes more sense to consolidate. This should give a better experience for everyone. 

I know some people don't like change. But as often the case, most people will get used to it. Overall change is for the best and it's long overdue. 

Old is gold. New is silver. Not impressive except the chat option.

Edited by Ya Allah Madad

7 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

:salam:

What just happened to the forum :O ! ?

So can the mods explain the new format?

5 hours ago, Hassan- said:

Everything is green...

5 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Why is everything green now? 

3 hours ago, pwwnd123 said:

*squeak*

Great Scott! ShiaChat was blue until it turned green. I guess that's a change after seeing blue for the last few years.

"What just happened?"

We have entered the Twilight Zone and found it to have a green tinge

"A map,!  A map !  My sanity needs a map !"  apologies to Wm Shakespear.

I'm sure we'll all be fine once: a) we get more used to the new scheme, and b) some of the kinks get worked out.

The consolidation of subforums was necessary IMO but obviously it's going to be hard to navigate at first because we are all used to the old setup.

Quran, Hadith, Dua forum - which is one of the more active ones - has become part of Theology... There is also no reference to it there. There were clearly redundant and obsolete subforums, but this is too far in the opposite direction. With such a huge change, I hope that the moderators were involved in the discussion. Even the Development team. After all, it is their forum, too, and they are active. There is no point voting a moderator in, but having no say in something like this.

Edited by Cake

1 hour ago, Cake said:

With such a huge change, I hope that the moderators were involved in the discussion. Even the Development team. After all, it is their forum, too, and they are active. There is no point voting a moderator in, but having no say in something like this.

I can almost guarantee that no one was involved but admins. We have mods & development team members right here in this thread completely baffled about whats going on. Its bizzare. 

Come on guys, the forum was in great need of update and change.

It is a work in progress and any criticism can be presented in a nice and constructive manner.

Finally someone took the time to change things up and of course not everyone can be happy regardless of what you do.

At the end of the day, you could have all said your mind about ideas on how you want to change the forum during these months of no change but most of you didnt care or didnt have time to care so now that someone is taking their time to do it, its just rains of complains.

Lets all try and pitch in to make this place a more positive place.

Everyone is welcomed to present concrete ideas on how to improve/what changes were good and less good, etc.

43 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

you could have all said your mind about ideas on how you want to change the forum during these months of no change but most of you didnt care or didnt have time to care so now that someone is taking their time to do it, its just rains of complains.

I think the problem here is that the mod team themselves were not involved in this change. forget the regular members. it looks pretty damn unprofessional that admins just decided this and then implemented it, especially since the changes were not properly thought out. we now have peoples poetry, which is a really serious and personal thing, alongside threads like "tell us a joke" and "shiachat memes"? seriously?

and where has thinkers discourse gone? why would getting rid of the most strictly monitored and quality controlled forum benefit the site?

it would have been better to do this collaboratively, with both members and mod/ development team. maybe set a date "in 3 months we want to update shiachat, these are our ideas of the changes, lets discuss them". heavy handed, poorly thought out changes like this just alienate the admins from the mods & dev team who are the ones running it day to day since you made them all look like a bunch of absolute muppets in front of the regular members. and making the decision to change the focus of the site to be a repository of old threads instead of a free flow melting pot of people and ideas is just going to restrict the site even further. 

anyway, its great how its somehow members' fault for not being involved in something we had no idea about. totally not the fault of poor planning, poor communication, poor leadership and poor implementation. 

ok rant over. 

the chat bubble on the mobile version is too big, it takes up too much of the screen space and blocks the threads from view. might be better to leave it at the top of the page instead of floating on the bottom right

2 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

the chat bubble on the mobile version is too big, it takes up too much of the screen space and blocks the threads from view. might be better to leave it at the top of the page instead of floating on the bottom right

That's actually changeable and I've seen people commenting that they love the button and others who find it obtrusive. 

I think if it's going to float it should be smaller, but floating is ok. I think individual users can turn off the floating button somewhere in the settings. 

16 minutes ago, notme said:

I think individual users can turn off the floating button somewhere in the settings.

I turned off the floating chat button and now I don't see any way to turn it on again or get into chat. Oops. 

Just now, DigitalUmmah said:

awesome - thanks. 

Don't do it! At least not until we know how to turn it back on!