Salam. Let me set up my hypothetical future for you guys, and tell me if I should, in that case, stay in Toronto or move to a Muslim country. Scene!

I am a 25 year old who has just completed his Masters in Islamic Sciences from Queens University. My array of education includes a Bachelor of Arts specializing in communication, a Bachelor of Islamic Theology, a high level of Hawza studies and certificates of fluency in french, farsi and arabic. I am planning to get married very soon.

Would my opportunities be better in the west or in the east? Explain

1 hour ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

Salam. Let me set up my hypothetical future for you guys, and tell me if I should, in that case, stay in Toronto or move to a Muslim country. Scene!

I am a 25 year old who has just completed his Masters in Islamic Sciences from Queens University. My array of education includes a Bachelor of Arts specializing in communication, a Bachelor of Islamic Theology, a high level of Hawza studies and certificates of fluency in french, farsi and arabic. I am planning to get married very soon.

Would my opportunities be better in the west or in the east? Explain

Your services are much more needed in the West. 

31 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

34 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

West

Get a job as an imam.

How do you find these jobs? Usually what I hear is that an Imam comes from the middle east with a small sum of money and buys a small building to make into a mosque. But today property prices are soaring, even in my area. The only real affordable places in Canada are Saskatchewan, Northern Quebec and the rainy, gloomy Maritimes. :(

31 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

34 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

West

Get a job as an imam.

How do you find these jobs? Usually what I hear is that an Imam comes from the middle east with a small sum of money and buys a small building to make into a mosque. But today property prices are soaring, even in my area. The only real affordable places in Canada are Saskatchewan, Northern Quebec and the rainy, gloomy Maritimes. :(

On 4/30/2017 at 0:49 AM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

If you come to the West and you want to use your Islamic knowledge then don't do it for the money. Do it fisabilillah.

I think that with such knowledge, you'd be better off trying to earn money translating books, or even writing books, with those kinds of qualifications and knowledge, there are other ways of making money than being an 'imam' - do you really want to charge people for leading prayers and delivering a sermon here and there? For praying over a dead person? etc

I think that you might find that that doesn't sit right with you, I'm not criticising people who charge for those services, we all need to eat, but if you have other options, take them.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

58 minutes ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

In the Wesr with very little money :D

That's what I meant bro'. In the secular atheist West the government and the people do not care much about religion anymore.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:52 AM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

I think to get those jobs:

- You connect with maulanas/sheikhs at established centres... like in Toronto, www.jaffari.org and www.cig.ca are bigger ones
- During special days in the year, especially in Ramadan and Muharram but also other occasions, there are not enough speakers to go around (most of them will be at bigger centres, so the small cities will need speakers)... start off speaking there, and eventually hopefully you get invited to bigger and bigger centres.
- So basically show yourself as a good speaker when the opportunities arise, and "work your way up" in that sense
- Then eventually, when a smaller centre can afford to hire someone, they will consider people who are available, and you will be considered.  And later, maybe you can get hired at a bigger centre.

I don't know, but that's my impression of how it would work... but during that time, you would I guess need a regular job (or maybe be a PhD student).

Also, I've heard about this:
https://www.jaffari.org/jiy/
and how young people speak sometimes (just regular people really... much less training than you)

I don't know whether your age fits, but maybe you can contact them to see if you can speak some time.

I have also heard about this, but don't know much about it:
https://www.academyofislam.com/
...maybe you can talk to them and eventually be an instructor

Also, another answer could be:
First  East, then West... go East for some time (a few years?) for more training/knowledge (I think there are programs that cover your expenses), and then it may also help you for getting a job in the West in the future.

Usually what I hear is that an Imam comes from the middle east with a small sum of money and buys a small building to make into a mosque.

Does that happen in Canada? ...someone coming, buying a building, and then becoming the sheikh there?  

I know Christians do have that type of thing happen, and maybe Sunnis, but there are so few Shias in most places that the community itself will start the mosque, and choose how it gets run... and then eventually hire someone as the sheikh/maulana.

The only real affordable places in Canada are Saskatchewan, Northern Quebec and the rainy, gloomy Maritimes.

:(

Other parts of Canada can be nice :)  Saskatoon is building a new mosque:
http://www.hussainiassociationsaskatoon.com/ 

Halifax isn't gloomy and it has a couple of centres:
http://www.albatool.ca/index.html

http://www.alrasoul.ca/  (lots of photos on their facebook page)

Maybe you can end up as the sheikh somewhere in Canada in the future :)
(if that happens, and I helped in some tiny way just with information, I will be glad :D

2 hours ago, Faruk said:

That's what I meant bro'. In the secular atheist West the government and the people do not care much about religion anymore.

Oh sorry I thought you said use your money.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:49 AM, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

These are sometimes advertised in the ISNA magazine.

You can also contact ISNA directly.

lnshallah, you'll be where Allah-s.w.t. allows for you.

22 hours ago, Aliph said:

Does that happen in Canada? ...someone coming, buying a building, and then becoming the sheikh there?  

Yeah, Dr. Kazem Mousavi made the Imam Ali.Centre in North York.

I live closer to Hamilton. There is one mosque close to me where I have started going to, so whenever they have an event I can suggest them to do something similar to what they did in Toronto.

I will be studying Hawza texts pretty soon so they.should.allow me to occasionally speak inshallah.

Oh, that's interesting about the Imam Ali Centre... I have heard of it, but never been there.

I don't know if it's the same one you are going to now, but this Shia mosque in Hamilton has a new building:
https://www.jaffari.org/ric/
...you can see the address/map if you click on one of the events.  You should probably phone them ahead of time though, because I don't know if that event calendar is simply automated... because I would think they would have other timings too, but it only shows Thursday night programs.

But the new building looks nice anyway.