eloquence

The most important thing shiachat has taught you?

Rate this topic

Learned lot about fabricated Sunni Hadiths, also many hadiths that praised the Ahlul Bayt (as) Verses of the Quran and its meaning and much more, i cannot thank SHIACHAT enough and some of the knowledgeable Shiachat members. 

SC has taught me that...

* inter-Shia rivalry is a big thing. I thought we offered a united front but that's not really true.

* people listen when you're polite and avoid ad hominem.

* Western Shias have huge identity problems.

* "culture" is supposed to be hated and reviled ad nauseam.

* after ShiaChat we don't need ShiaMatch.

ShiaChat has taught me a lot, from the perspective of both forum participant and forum staff.

1. Most active members genuinely care about themselves, their faith, and the SC community. 

2. Discussions are often initiated and dragged on by vocal minorities. While most of the forum's value is on the backs of another devoted minority of members. 

3. We have more readers than posters, more eaters than cooks, more messy occupants than cleaners. 

4. Some people take the site too seriously, some treat it as a place to litter. 

5. There's three sides to every story. 

6. You need a lot of patience sometimes.

7. You can't make everyone happy. 

Believe it or not, shiachat is a big part of why I became Shia. When I first came here in 2005, I was "just Muslim" and a brand new convert who knew almost nothing. Members here offered friendship and guidance, showed me books and sites to read, asked and answered difficult questions. 

I don't think I would have taken Islam seriously in terms of practice if it wasn't for this website.

This website taught me a few things:

1. That it's really important to learn lots of philosophical/ jurisprudential/ spiritual etc etc jargon so that you can impress other people. I say that because I found some people engaged in discussions which were way above their league - the e-jurists and e-urafa'.

Of course, that's not a criticism of some of the very knowledgeable members who have contributed to this website over the years. It's a criticism of those who don't have good intentions.

2. That Shia women are either illiterate, have no interest in religion... or that there is a problem in Shia communities (and the SC website as a whole) with not encouraging women into academic religious discussions.

I find it quite sad that there aren't many religious articles being written by sisters on this site. Of course, there are some very interesting sisters here (I will name notme - not because I agree with her more than any other member, but I find her to be intelligent and very relateable. I still reserve the right to disagree with her posts .... taqlid is for infallibles [/and maraja']!) but it would be nice to see them venture into academic discussions.

3. That Islam is a system of life. This is the most important thing that I have learnt. I have definitely been able to develop myself morally whilst using this website.

--

4. Don't get on the wrong side of the admins:

Screenshot_2016-09-15-22-00-08.png

• Never judge a religion/sect based on it's followers. They're never a good representatives of it.
  • Nothing lasts forever. You lose some, you gain some.
  • To achieve something, you have to be willing to work hard for it. Things don't just happen.
  • Most of the members here are really bad at giving advice. 
  • Most importantly: I have bad social skills. (I blame it on my introverted nature)

this was way back under my old account, I cant even remember the thread or the poster, but someone once posted a long, excellently sourced article regarding al alam al arwah/ al alam al darr. 

I knew about the concept before, but it was the first time that I had seen the full argument, and learnt about some things that I didn't even know to ask. 

its small, but it was important to me because it was the small pebble which alters the course of an entire river. its what convinced me to hang around, 

16 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

this was way back under my old account,

... some things that I didn't even know to ask. 

its small, but it was important to me because it was the small pebble which alters the course of an entire river.  [l]t[']s what convinced me to hang around, 

Ask: is this possible?

Grammatical Corrections =[ ] x 2

You remember the thermodynamically challenged "butterfly flapping wings produces tornadoes" ?

A "small pebble" altering a river is likewise fluid mechanically challenged is its simplest form, but actually an analysis in slurry mechanics.

Edited by hasanhh