Nirvana

Strong proposition raised by an atheist

Rate this topic

Salam, this is my first post on this website inshaallah everyone reading this  is doing well.

i came across an atheist who made the following statement 

"All religions are man made, the concept of a greater being only came about in parallel to the evolution of the human brain, it's only the outer cortex or rationale section that allows modern humans to conceptualise there be a higher power, or God. At no time before this modern human development did anything such as God ever exist. If the earth is millions of years old then why is it 'God' only came in the last moment of human history, and not only that, pretty much coincided with the development of language and more importantly writing. So the ability to conceive an idea (of God) through evolution of the brain, and the ability to write it down, doesn't mean it is true. The brain conceptualises vision, sound and light in a way that makes it palatable to us. Who can prove other wise the idea of God isent another concept of the brain to make life palatable in essence to bolster our egos, and not admit to the truth when we die, that's it?"

I would really appreciate it if someone can refute this ideology since I must admit it has raised some doubts. Especially the last bit about the innate idea of making life palatable. 

First, religions(islam,christianity,judisim) arent man made but prophets introduced them and they are humans, this person is the same as these mentioned in the quran: وَقَالُوا أَسَاطِيرُ الْأَوَّلِينَ اكْتَتَبَهَا فَهِيَ تُمْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِ بُكْرَةً وَأَصِيلًا surat furqan  5-8

5. And they say: "Tales of the ancients, which he has written down, and they are dictated to him morning and afternoon."

6. Say: "It (this Qur'an) has been sent down by Him (Allah) (the Real Lord of the heavens and earth) Who knows the secret of the heavens and the earth. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

7. And they say: "Why does this Messenger (Muhammad saws.gif) eat food, and walk about in the markets (like ourselves). Why is not an angel sent down to him to be a warner with him?

8. "Or (why) has not a treasure been granted to him, or why has he not a garden whereof he may eat?" And the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) say: "You follow none but a man bewitched."

Also, for the quran, if you understand arabic you will be sure that it is impossible for a human to make a quran, so our  book alone is evidence of the existence of good, the quran holds many secrets and you can type in google: miracles of the quran, and read

4 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Salam, this is my first post on this website inshaallah everyone reading this  is doing well.

"All religions are man made, the concept of a greater being only came about in parallel to the evolution of the human brain, it's only the outer cortex or rationale section that allows modern humans to conceptualise there be a higher power, or God. At no time before this modern human development did anything such as God ever exist. If the earth is millions of years old then why is it 'God' only came in the last moment of human history, and not only that, pretty much coincided with the development of language and more importantly writing. So the ability to conceive an idea (of God) through evolution of the brain, and the ability to write it down, doesn't mean it is true. The brain conceptualises vision, sound and light in a way that makes it palatable to us. Who can prove other wise the idea of God isent another concept of the brain to make life palatable in essence to bolster our egos, and not admit to the truth when we die, that's it?"

I would really appreciate it if someone can refute this ideology since I must admit it has raised some doubts. Especially the last bit about the innate idea of making life palatable. 

What evidence does he has to support this conjecture ? Theories have no importance without credible evidence. We have Quran, Bible and Torah all of them backing each other on the issue of existence of God and all prophets were exceptional human beings which came to us and known among their people as honest and truthful. What evidence that Atheist has for his theory, whom will he put as his source of knowledge ? Will he put lying Atheist scientists who gave "Failed Scientific Theories" that were dubbed as wrongs by the later discoveries such as that of Fred Hoyle. 

Islam does not believe in conjectures. 

Edited by Sindbad05

In the caves of ancient humans there were drawings of things archaeologists believe are "gods" and of course it would seem as if god came in at the last part of human existence because humans back then were too busy to be drawing and leaving evidence of worship, when they were hunting for food.

8 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Tell him to get his facts right. 

4.6 billion years ago The origin of the Earth
65 million years ago Dinosaurs and ammonites become extinct
14 million years ago The first great apes appear
2.5 million years ago Genus Homo evolves
200 thousand years ago      Our species, Homo sapiens evolves

So if you just compare homo sapiens with earth we are like toddlers. we are pretty young. so you say that there was no concept of god 1 billion years ago. because there was no humans Duh! And people have been practicing religion for a long time. Also history is like a future we cannot be certain about anything. we could predict we can't be 100% sure. Theories come and go. so we cannot rely only on science or what someone tells us. we just don't have enough evidence yet. 

The use of symbolism in religion is a universal established phenomenon. Archeologist Steven Mithen contends that it is common for religious practices to involve the creation of images and symbols to represent supernatural beings and ideas. Because supernatural beings violate the principles of the natural world, there will always be difficulty in communicating and sharing supernatural concepts with others. This problem can be overcome by anchoring these supernatural beings in material form through representational art. When translated into material form, supernatural concepts become easier to communicate and understand.[41] Due to the association of art and religion, evidence of symbolism in the fossil record is indicative of a mind capable of religious thoughts. Art and symbolism demonstrates a capacity for abstract thought and imagination necessary to construct religious ideas. Wentzel van Huyssteen states that the translation of the non-visible through symbolism enabled early human ancestors to hold beliefs in abstract terms.[42]

Some of the earliest evidence of symbolic behavior is associated with Middle Stone Age sites in Africa. From at least 100,000 years ago, there is evidence of the use of pigments such as red ochre. Pigments are of little practical use to hunter gatherers, thus evidence of their use is interpreted as symbolic or for ritual purposes. Among extant hunter gatherer populations around the world, red ochre is still used extensively for ritual purposes. It has been argued that it is universal among human cultures for the color red to represent blood, sex, life and death

Concept of God/Deity/Supreme being/creator was always there. we just don't have enough evidence yet. 

Now you could ask him what was there before big bang? and what caused big bang? does he think this world is eternal? 

On 4/17/2017 at 2:20 AM, Nirvana said:

"All religions are man made, the concept of a greater being only came about in parallel to the evolution of the human brain, it's only the outer cortex or rationale section that allows modern humans to conceptualise there be a higher power, or God. 

But doesn't that prove the existence of a creator?