Sign in to follow this  
LeftCoastMom

Have a Blessed Holy Week

Rate this topic

I'm  happily going to be busy for the next few days preparing for our big family celebrations leading up to Easter Sunday.

Last of the Lenten fast days...then...

Lotsa cooking!

Since the Eastern Churches and the Western ones are , surprisingly,celebrating on the same day this year....I would like to take this opportunity to wish all Christians in here a Blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter!

image.jpg

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wishing you and your family a blessed day and the remainder of the year peace, prosperity, and health.

How is Zayn and his parents?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

20 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I'm  happily going to be busy for the next few days preparing for our big family celebrations leading up to Easter Sunday.

Last of the Lenten fast days...then...

Lotsa cooking!

Since the Eastern Churches and the Western ones are , surprisingly,celebrating on the same day this year....I would like to take this opportunity to wish all Christians in here a Blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter!

image.jpg

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks!!! :) May you and your family have a blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter too!!!  :)

We need to keep the Coptic Christians in Egypt in prayer, as well as all the Christians who are suffering around the world.  It is heart-breaking that they are suffering. :(:(:(

Bishop Macarios of Minya and Abu Qirqas in Upper Egypt announced on Tuesday the cancellation of this year's Easter celebrations in his diocese.

The announcement comes after two suicide bombings hit Mar Girgis Cathedral in Tanta and St Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria on Palm Sunday, killing 46 and injuring dozens in the deadliest attack on Copts in the country's recent memory.

The cancellation of celebrations will apply to all churches in the diocese "due to the current circumstances the country and the Church are witnessing," the bishop announced in a statement on the diocese's Facebook page.

"The Easter mass will be limited to prayers only," the statement said. 

"We apologise that we will not be receiving felicitations from officials or regular citizens. The Diocese also appreciates all the kind regards it has received from everybody."

Christians are set to celebrate Easter in masses across the country's churches on Saturday night. 

Egypt's main Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo has not announced the cancelling of Easter celebrations. 

Egyptian Copts make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population of 90 million and constitute the Middle East's largest Christian community.

Last December, a suicide bombing hit Cairo's St Peter and St Paul Church, killing 29 worshipers, mostly women and children.

:(:(:(

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/262775/Egypt/Politics-/Upper-Egypts-Minya-Eparchy-suspends-Easter-celebra.aspx 

This video includes beautiful testimonies of Syrian Christians who underwent persecution, (similar to the persecution the early Christians suffered at the hands of the Romans).

May God protect and help the Christians in Egypt and around the world where they are suffering.  May God encourage people in these countries to stand up for their Christian neighbors. 

May God give Christians a Blessed Holy Easter no matter where they live, and comfort those who have lost loved ones to violence.

May our Father in Heaven bring Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus Christ) back soon.

Peace

Edited by Christianlady

21 hours ago, QuranandAhlulbayt said:

I pray for goodness for you and your family (:

A christian neighbour of mine gave me easter-eggs as a gift today, which i accepted.

What does easter involve for your family?

Thanks...here's an answer that got a lot longer than I had planned or you probably wanted, lol...but here goes:

Well, there are different traditions for different sects of Christianity. Some Protestants do not observe the season of Lent, for instance, very much or at all , but most mainstream Protestants do to some extent. The Eastern Orthodox traditions have a different calendar and usually celebrate on a different dates, but this year the eastern and western calendars have synced up. 

Some Christians have incorporated some pre-Christian traditions into the celebrations ( rabbits, eggs, etc...all symbols of new life and now associated with the Resurrection )

Here's how it usually goes for us  Western (Latin ) Catholics in this area.
The entire " season" starts with Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. (Lent commemorates the 40 days Jesus fasted in the desert and overcame the temptations of Satan.) On that day, we go to church to have ashes put on our foreheads in the shape of a cross and to be  reminded of our own mortality....we are told " Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return".
This is followed by 40 days of the Lenten fast ( some traditions have more because they don't count Sundays as fast days). Unlike Ramadan, it is 24/7 until Easter. As You've probably heard  it's traditional for Catholics to refrain from eating something they really like during this time. ( chocolate, sodas, alcohol,etc.) and also to use that money or energy to doing positive things, like donating it to the poor,etc. 
As well, on Fridays during Lent ( Friday is the day Christ died on the cross) Catholics will often eat only one meal and refrain from meat ( fish is okay if you need it, which is why Catholics are often nicknamed " mackerel  snappers" or " fish eaters" lol). 
In times past, and many Catholics still observe this, meat was not eaten on Friday throughout the year, not just Lent. That's why in some school districts where there is a heavy Catholic population, the school lunches even in the public schools are meatless  on Fridays. 
My husband and I are technically excused from the fast because we're over 59 years old. But we still observe it. My daughter is excused from fasting this year (which she says is making her feel weird) due to being a nursing mother.
Holy Week is at the end of Lent, the week before Easter Sunday. My family ( especially the young children in the extended family ) really enjoys Palm Sunday, when everyone gets to process around the church with palm fronds which signifies Jesus' entry into Jerusalem. (The young kids are somewhat less enthusiastic about the longish Scripture readings which follow detailing the event. Lol.)
Maundy ( Commandment) Thursday  evening we are in Church again for the only mass celebrated that day ...the Mass of the Lords Supper, which commemorates the institution of the Eucharist and the commandment to love one another. 
Good Friday , which is today, is a solemn day. Some  Catholics will not go to work or school if possible ,depending on how one's life is ordered. Some maintain prayer and quiet between the hours of noon and three ( the hours Jesus was on the cross. My grandmother was pretty strict about that. I used to spend the time at her house tucked into a reading nook after finishing contemplating the Sorrowful Mysteries with her.) 
I'm heading off to our church in a bit to pray today. We as a family personally prefer to use this time to pray for the suffering people in this world. Think I'm going to be praying quite a bit for Syria this year.
Catholics do have mass on Easter Sunday ( the civil calendar Sunday), but the big event is the Easter Vigil, held on Saturday night before ( technically Sunday liturgically) ,which can last for three hours as the place is usually packed, this is when converts are officially received into the Church so their families also attend, and enormous Scripture passages are read from Genesis to Revelations laying out the entire salvation story and a huge Mass is celebrated. It's a beautiful and touching ceremony...and the church building is decorated again with flowers ,color , and music after being stripped for Lent. We usually go to that one to celebrate the Resurrection since our kids are adults now.( Folks around here with young children like to go to the Easter Morning mass because it's much shorter.)
During the day before the Easter Vigil, my family dyes Easter Eggs,makes bread ,and prepares some of the food for the next day. We also collect flowers for the dinner table. We usually have one sort of red meat roast, fish,  or some sort of poultry as a main dish  ( we don't have ham, even though many Catholics do,  because no one likes it in this house for some reason). 
Sometimes the townsfolks get an Easter Egg Hunt going in the park on Easter Saturday. Some poor adult has to dress up as a big white bunny and tell the kids when to start the hunt. I have thus far escaped that fate because I will volunteer to  bring an actual bunny for the kids to pet. The church often puts on an Easter Egg Hunt on the Church Lawn for the children after the Sunday  morning mass. 
( The eggs for the hunts are plastic ones filled with goodies, not real eggs... Real eggs are not nice after a few days if left unfound. Yuck.)
On Easter Morning, everyone in my house wakes up to their Easter Baskets on the hearth. ( My children, being rabbit and small livestock raisers, were always a bit skeptical regarding the Easter Bunny.
"Mom, rabbits have  no opposable thumbs!")
We have our Easter dinner ( Easter eggs, meat, biscuits, salad, sweetbread, pies, whatever else we want to chow down on) and then tuck into the goodies in the Easter Baskets for dessert....usually full of chocolates and other candies, but I also put in books, CD's ,small educational toys, etc. And , of course, the big chocolate bunny, which everyone devours in their own " horrible" way.
After that, we like to go walk on the beach as a family if possible and watch the sunset if we stay that long ( it's usually pretty chilly). Then back to the house for hot chocolate or coffee and to talk around a nice fire in the fireplace inside or in the fire pit outside, depending on weather. 
It's a great day.

image.jpg

Edited by LeftCoastMom

4 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam LeftCoastMom,

Thanks!!! :) May you and your family have a blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter too!!!  :)

We need to keep the Coptic Christians in Egypt in prayer, as well as all the Christians who are suffering around the world.  It is heart-breaking that they are suffering. :(:(:(

May God protect and help the Christians in Egypt and around the world where they are suffering.  May God encourage people in these countries to stand up for their Christian neighbors. 

May God give Christians a Blessed Holy Easter no matter where they live, and comfort those who have lost loved ones to violence.

May our Father in Heaven bring Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus Christ) back soon.

Peace

I read about all of that. It is heartbreaking.

Terrible when anyone has to curtail their religious celebrations due to persecution and terrorism.

May the Lord help all oppressed people everywhere.

11 hours ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Wishing you and your family a blessed day and the remainder of the year peace, prosperity, and health.

How is Zayn and his parents?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah 

They are doing just fine. Zayn is growing rapidly!

He seems to be " grabbing onto life with both hands"!

2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

May the Lord help all oppressed people everywhere.

Dear LCM

You are among the politest and kindest people I have ever met.

You have such a beautiful style of presenting your point.

If there were more people in the world like you, we wouldn't need to look for Eutopia.

We would be right in it.

Truly, I mean it.

God bless you and yours. 

This Easter, the next one and always.