Heavenly_Silk

Thoughts 2017

Rate this topic

Astagfurillah how many of us have abandoned the Quran as Ammar Nakashwani said in his lecture?

Don't wait for Ramadan to establish a connection with the Quran. Start right now, no matter what situation you're at!

On the day of judgment, the last thing we want is - Quran complaining that it was neglected by us.

It's Decembrrrrr and even the southern states are having cold spells.

The totals are in and all 50 states saw at least 1 inch of snowfall in 2017. [The Weather Channel]

25 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

It's been lingering just above freezing all day here. We don't even own winter coats or snow boots. On these rare cold days, we just layer multiple hoodies and extra socks. 

10 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

You know what was sad, seeing people at school who couldn't be bothered to put on a coat today because they were too lazy.  We are having arctic weather right now...

@Heavenly_Silk

I think I convinced Mom to try bitter gourd, now where would we find it?

Its pretty cold here too and I am currently feeling ill with a sore throat. Not going to let that get me down though, I am getting ready and setting off for my day!

@Gaius I. Caesar

It has many different names such as Momordica charantia, bitter melon, bitter squash, or balsam-pear. So you could ask around at different shops where they may sell fruits from Africa or Asia? I know supermarkets here sell them so not sure if its the same there but now you have a few names, you could ask around. 

@hasanhh Thank you for the advice but it has melted now, I'll keep in mind for next time. :)

Edited by Heavenly_Silk

4 hours ago, 400226 said:

i have a research methods postgrad exam on friday and half of it is statistics and the other half is like qualitative and quantitative data and i hate it all. 

Good luck, I remember doing a research methods exam for my bachelors and I too was dreading it! Turns out I did pretty well Alhumdulilah, Insha'Allah you will too.

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Good luck, I remember doing a research methods exam for my bachelors and I too was dreading it! Turns out I did pretty well Alhumdulilah, Insha'Allah you will too.

I don't get the distinction between stats and quantitative data. I thought you could only have stats with quantitative data? Or did I miss something.

4 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

I don't get the distinction between stats and quantitative data. I thought you could only have stats with quantitative data? Or did I miss something.

Yes thats right, stats are part of quantitative data. The research is used to quantify the problem by generating numerical data or data that can be transformed into usable statistics. I prefer qualitative myself.

4 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Aren't statistics an analysis and compilation of data? 

Whenever a friend or family member recommends a book, even if it's very different from what I usually read, I add it to my reading list. A recommended book tells me a lot about the person recommending it. 

9 hours ago, notme said:

Aren't statistics an analysis and compilation of data? 

Well if the data are qualitative they may not lend themselves to any form of statistical analysis.

10 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

I prefer qualitative myself.

:NH:

18 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Well if the data are qualitative they may not lend themselves to any form of statistical analysis.

True, but sociologists and psychologists attempt to anyway. One must always question the interpretation of subjective data. It might easily not mean what it is claimed to mean. 

Actually, I've seen scientists statistically manipulate objective data too, while carefully treading the outer edge of integrity. Probably it's best to always question statistics in general. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I wonder if shiachat will be impacted by the repeal of net neutrality laws for users in the United States. 

This is a disaster. If cable and telecom companies block access to websites and apps that are their competitors or just tamper with the speed of connection, customers will be angry. I am sure that customers might complain about slow loading times to their favorite sites. If the service providers have a lot of negative publicity in their social media accounts, they will have to placate their customers. 

6 hours ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

Is it permissible to ask god for death or to ask him to take your soul sooner than later?

45 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

No, it isn't.

It depends. 

Are you praying for shahada or sick of life and want to die.

Pray for shahada - no issues.

Pray end life because you can't deal with things - not allowed. You are losing hope in Allah's mercy and benevolence.  

1 hour ago, laithAlIRAQI said:

What's your proof 

Here is some proof from the Quran.

Say: “My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.” 

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ - 39:53

O my sons (said Prophet Jacob)! Go you and enquire about Yusuf (Joseph) and his brother, and never give up hope of Allah’s Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allah’s Mercy, except the people who disbelieve.

يَا بَنِيَّ اذْهَبُوا فَتَحَسَّسُوا مِن يُوسُفَ وَأَخِيهِ وَلَا تَيْأَسُوا مِن رَّوْحِ اللَّهِ ۖ إِنَّهُ لَا يَيْأَسُ مِن رَّوْحِ اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْقَوْمُ الْكَافِرُونَ - 12:87

Do you think that you will enter paradise without such trials as came to those who passed away before you? They experienced suffering and adversity and were so shaken in spirit that even the Prophet and the faithful who were with him cried, “When will Allah’s help come?” Ah, verily the help of Allah is near.

أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَن تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُم مَّثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلِكُم ۖ مَّسَّتْهُمُ الْبَأْسَاءُ وَالضَّرَّاءُ وَزُلْزِلُوا حَتَّىٰ يَقُولَ الرَّسُولُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَعَهُ مَتَىٰ نَصْرُ اللَّهِ ۗ أَلَا إِنَّ نَصْرَ اللَّهِ قَرِيبٌ - 2:214

Feeling stressed out for my exams in 3 weeks. Why do I always overwork and then burnout? I have no motivation to study right now - just want to draw some legendary graphs on MATLAB or program Arduino or sumthin.

Lucky me - one of my exams is basically a fun test about things that fly. Awesome! Playing X-Plane counts as revision! Another is electronics. I looooove electronics. It's so beautiful. So beautiful. And I've already bribed the examiner to give me 25%. 25% I tell you! I just love multiple choice exams. Especially when they're not negatively marked.

Then there is some stuff about heat transfer. Too abstract and philosophical for an ignoramus like me. Big word, I know. Luckily the last 4 lectures were actually applying our understanding to physical problems. I love physical problems. Lovely! Especially when they involve engines. Love engines. Especially when they're attached to a plane! I love me some turbojets. MMMmmmmm.

Last is maths. I love me some maths. It's so beautiful. Everything works so well. I jusssst looooove vectors and vector calculus. MMMmmmmm how beautiful. They just work so perfectly. 

And I can't sleep. 

#lifeofsilasun