Rate this topic

It is obligatory for a person to recite the words and pronunciations of the obligatory parts of prayer correctly. Many Muslims don't realize or pay attention to how important this is, and their prayers end up void without them even knowing. 

Q: In obligatory prayers, is it necessary to pronounce all the words properly? Can a prayer be considered correct when the words are not pronounced correctly in the Arabic language? 
A: It is necessary to pronounce all the obligatory dhikrs of prayer including the Fātiḥah, the other chapter, and other parts correctly. If a praying person does not know the correct pronunciation, it is obligatory for him to learn it. However, if he is unable to learn, he is excused. 

As you can see, reciting them properly is obligatory, and it's impermissible to recite and pronounce them incorrectly. Even if just a single vowel is off, your prayer will instantly be invalid. For example:

Q: If someone makes some mistake — due to his negligence or accent — in the recitation of the Fātiḥah and the other chapter, or in the pronunciation of the vowels, for example, ‘yūlid’ instead of ‘yūlad,’ what will be the rule of such a prayer?
A: If he makes this mistake intentionally or he is a blameworthy ignorant person (who can learn it), his prayer is void;

When saying the Fatiha, instead of people saying ‘al-ḍāallin’ which is the correct way, they say 'al-THāallin'. Replacing the "D" with "TH" will invalidate your prayers.

When you're on your rukū, people (mostly Iranians) often say "Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih" when it should really be "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih". Replacing the "TH" with "Z" will instantly invalidate your prayers if you said it intentionally and continued along.

The most where people often go wrong is on the tasbīḥāt al-arba‘ah, which is obligatory to be recited correctly in prayer. 

A: Tasbihat arba'ah should be said fully and correctly, that is to say:
سُبْحانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ للَّهِ وَلا اِلهَ‌ اِلاّ اللَّهُ وَاللَّهُ اَكْبَرُ

In English: "Subhaanallahi Walhamdolillahi wala illaha illallaho wallaho akbar" The bolded parts are mandatory to recite. Each vowel and each pronunciation must be correct for it to be valid. Reciting it without pronouncing the vowels in each bolded part intentionally will invalidate your prayer.

I only explained the obligatory parts of the prayer where they're often recited wrong by most people, but there is also the Tashahhud, Tasleem, Sujoud, and Takbeer al ihram that also should be recited correctly.

If you thought you were reciting your prayers correctly all along and was ignorant of these rulings, your previous prayers are all accepted. But now that you are aware of these rulings, you must recite your prayers correctly.

A: If one had read his previous prayers like that believing that they were correct, doing their qaḍā’ is not obligatory.

14 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

In English: "Subhaanallahi Walhamdolillahi wala illaha illallaho wallaho akbar" The bolded parts are mandatory to recite. 

:salam:

Why is that? Tasbih is not like a verse from Quran, should not we pronouce it as we like?

2 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Why is that? Tasbih is not like a verse from Quran, should not we pronouce it as we like?

It's an obligatory part of the prayer, therefore it must be recited correctly.

Just now, realizm said:

Yes, but what is the correct dhikr? Why not just SubhanAllah, wal hamdulillah, etc...

The correct dhikr is the one I wrote in the post. The vowels in the end of each word must be recited to connect the other words with each other, like a proper Arabic sentence.

1 hour ago, Hassan- said:

The correct dhikr is the one I wrote in the post. The vowels in the end of each word must be recited to connect the other words with each other, like a proper Arabic sentence.

What if we do not pronounce each dhikr with a pause between them ? 

3 minutes ago, realizm said:

What if we do not pronounce each dhikr with a pause between them ? 

I don't get what you mean exactly brother. Any obligatory dhikr that's not pronounced exactly right will invalidate your prayer.

11 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

I don't get what you mean exactly brother. Any obligatory dhikr that's not pronounced exactly right will invalidate your prayer.

Sorry, I meant that the vowel are used to link two words. When pronounced isolatedly, we say only subhanAllah, not subhanAllahi right ?

Since there is "wa" between "SubhanAllah" and "Alhamdulillah", should we still pronounce the vowel like "subhanallahi"?

Just asking because it is the first time I read it this way to be honest.

27 minutes ago, realizm said:

Sorry, I meant that the vowel are used to link two words. When pronounced isolatedly, we say only subhanAllah, not subhanAllahi right ?

Since there is "wa" between "SubhanAllah" and "Alhamdulillah", should we still pronounce the vowel like "subhanallahi"?

Just asking because it is the first time I read it this way to be honest.

That's how the Prophet (s) and Imams apparently said it, so it has to be like that.

Salam alaikum. Sorry for jumping in so late. When it come to acceptance of the prayer topic comes, I am always cautious. It will be best to pronounce everything as needed, but it's not always possible as we come from various nations and having different accents. So, it's on the Khaliq (awj) whether to accept it or not and that's why I refrain from passing the judgement that "your salat is void". 

Jazakallah. 

1 hour ago, EhsanR said:

Salam alaikum. Sorry for jumping in so late. When it come to acceptance of the prayer topic comes, I am always cautious. It will be best to pronounce everything as needed, but it's not always possible as we come from various nations and having different accents. So, it's on the Khaliq (awj) whether to accept it or not and that's why I refrain from passing the judgement that "your salat is void". 

Jazakallah. 

Wa'alaykum asalam. Thank you for your opinion, and you are definitely right about Allah (awj) being the true judge in the end. 

There is a difference between doing or saying something intentionally or unintentionally. There's also a difference between a blameworthy ignorant and an unblameworthy ignorant. Allah (awj) judges a person according to his intentions and according to the knowledge he possesses. 

A blameworthy ignorant person is the one who realizes his ignorance and knows the possible methods by which he can overcome his ignorance, but deals carelessly with learning religious rulings. An unblameworthy ignorant person is the one who is not at all aware of his ignorance or he/she is aware of it, but there is no way out of it.

In my post when I said there prayers will be void, this only applies to either the blameworthy ignorant or the one who do such acts intentionally. Allah will not accept their prayers if they apply to one of those two. However if you said some of the words in your prayers incorrectly unintentionally or out of unblameworthy ignorance, Allah will still accept your prayers because He's the most merciful.

1 minute ago, Hassan- said:

Wa'alaykum asalam. Thank you for your opinion, and you are definitely right about Allah (awj) being the true judge in the end. 

There is a difference between doing or saying something intentionally or unintentionally. There's also a difference between a blameworthy ignorant and an unblameworthy ignorant. Allah (awj) judges a person according to his intentions and according to the knowledge he possesses. 

A blameworthy ignorant person is the one who realizes his ignorance and knows the possible methods by which he can overcome his ignorance, but deals carelessly with learning religious rulings. An unblameworthy ignorant person is the one who is not at all aware of his ignorance or he/she is aware of it, but there is no way out of it.

In my post when I said there prayers will be void, this only applies to either the blameworthy ignorant or the one who do such acts intentionally. Allah will not accept their prayers if they apply to one of those two. However if you said some of the words in your prayers incorrectly unintentionally or out of unblameworthy ignorance, Allah will still accept your prayers because He's the most merciful.

Jazakallah. You just said it all and well. May Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì accept our ama'l. 

On 4/7/2017 at 4:03 PM, Hassan- said:

When you're on your rukū, people (mostly Iranians) often say "Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih" when it should really be "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih". Replacing the "TH" with "Z" will instantly invalidate your prayers if you said it intentionally and continued along.

I have always said Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih, but after reading your post and watching some videos I have just prayed reciting "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih.

The problem is I have just encountered information that says that the correct pronunciation is Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih, and I just want to make sure that "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih is accurate.

Below are some sources that point to Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih

http://praytime.info/tutor.html

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2232/

III. Translation of the Zikr during Ruku and Sajdah, and of those which are Mustahab
Subhana Rabbi yal 'Azimi wa bihamdhi (Glory be to my High Sustainer and I praise Him)

Thank You

5 minutes ago, Shogun said:

I have always said Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih, but after reading your post and watching some videos I have just prayed reciting "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih.

The problem is I have just encountered information that says that the correct pronunciation is Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih, and I just want to make sure that "Subhaana rabbiy al-`atheemi wa bihamdih is accurate.

III. Translation of the Zikr during Ruku and Sajdah, and of those which are Mustahab
Subhana Rabbi yal 'Azimi wa bihamdhi (Glory be to my High Sustainer and I praise Him)

Thank You

the arabic letter zaa can not be represented by the english alphabet. what you should do is learn some tajweed/pronunciation of the arabic letters from an audible source.

9 hours ago, Shogun said:

Thank You

Never read the English translation, it’s never 100% accurate. If you read Arabic, you will see the true pronunciations of the words.