Reza

Does everyone need a "career"?

A "job" is something you go to, work, and make money (a living). In contrast, a "career" is something beyond this, usually a higher calling. There is some form of exclusivity and specialization, an intrinsic value within the work beyond simply making money. It can be near anything. 

But does everybody need one? 

I have a "career", but is it mandatory to live a proper life? Does it fit everybody? 

I think eveyone must have some sort of career. Having a job, is just a way to fill up your pocket and to survive. 

Career can literally be anything which you are passionate about and it allows you to discover your talents and capabilities. You could be an islamic scholar, social worker, soccer player, speaker, engineer, doctor or whatever. You really have to find something special about yourself which a job won't really allow you to do.

The point is that career is not all about the money and it is really about how you want to offer your talents to society.

I really think it is a waste to not develop a career and instead just live off a job (which is an easy way out).

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

16 minutes ago, magma said:

Steve Jobs had a "career", but did the Apple factory workers making his products have one?

Of course they have a career too, as it doesn't depend on how big of an entrepreneur or how rich you are. Steve jobs could not of been successful if it wasn't for the engineers and coders making his product. Actually some people even say that he barely knew how to code himself.

The workers are using their expertise which they have invested their time towards at some point.

Career is another of those slippery words, that means different things at different times and circumstances and to different people.

A person without a career will float aimlessly through life. If they're content like that, it isn't necessarily a problem. 

And then there is unpaid life-work. For example, my grandmother worked at jobs all her life, and she also created art as a hobby. It was the art that made her feel successful and that she strove to constantly improve. Parenting or charitable work might also be a person's life-mission. Are these things careers? 

Maintaining a job for many years is not easy. I don't agree with these ideas about finding yourself and quality is more important than quantity. A very small percentage of people can become successful or the best in their fields. It's unrealistic to expect from every one to do something extraordinary or become the best in their field. Maintaining a job for 25-30 years is a very big achievement, similarly raising a kid requires constant hard work and it's also a really big achievement. Due to this whole talk about finding yourself and looking down on regular jobs/ housework, many people don't enter the practical life. They spend years in college, dreaming that they are destined for something big. They fail to fulfill their responsibilities and someone else have to do their work. I have seen many men who are spending years in college, while they expect their wives to do both housework and pay the bills because they are trying to achieve something big. The fact is they are just slacking off.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:52 AM, magma said:

Steve Jobs had a "career", but did the Apple factory workers making his products have one?

This is the crux of the issue. If everyone had a "career," who would be left to do all the "jobs?"

I don't think it's necessary. 

In most cases career and the job to which you need to hang on to pay bills are one and the same thing. Those who have worked in the same field or company most or all their lives like to think it as their career because 1) they don't know of any other way to make money and 2) they have come to like their work from years of habit.

All that stuff about having a higher calling, life's purpose, personal fulfillment in career etc comes from the accepted language towards the attainment of some higher goal as taught in management studies and corporate-employee relationship. This makes people think that their jobs, or careers, have more value beyond the age old arrangement of having to work for food.

Inventors and exceptionally talented people do great things with or without careers. Like the Microsoft guy, whats-his-name, a college dropout who developed the technology that gave so many people careers.

Great thread.

A career usual also has connotation of 'progression'. That's the most obvious difference between a career and a job. In a job you get a certain number of $ per hour and that's it.

The problem with jobs is that there is less likelihood of progression in terms of skills, personal development or pay etc. That's partly the reason why people associate positives with the notion of a career.

These are all various self congratulatory titles for the more decadent and educated upper slave classes who need such pacifiers because they endured so long with education to find that the illiterate are making a lot more money. Titles alone do not change quality of life. Would it help you in a court of law. Would it make the unhealthy fast food you take regularly due to lack of time any healthier for you. Would it make your coworkers stop talking behind your back. Would it make you have a different retired life, would it make you avoid the old home. Does driving a larger car change something.

Whenever I hear of people going on about having careers and making it the raison d'être of their lives, I am reminded of one short but devastating book Leo Tolstoy wrote back in the day: The Death of Ivan Ilyich.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Ivan-Ilyich-Leo-Tolstoy/dp/177323000X

Recommended reading for those who care.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:14 PM, baradar_jackson said:

This is the crux of the issue. If everyone had a "career," who would be left to do all the "jobs?"

I don't think it's necessary. 

But people who pursue careers usually end up generating jobs. That's the plus side of it. 

On 4/7/2017 at 6:43 AM, Pearl178 said:

But people who pursue careers usually end up generating jobs. That's the plus side of it. 

They do but still: there needs to be some people who lack the careerist killer instinct.

For the most part yes. It has been long understood that engaging in creative meaningful work is one of most desired ambitions in life.  Most people of course do not get to achieve this but you can argue it is one of the unique and defining human characteristics.

On 4/8/2017 at 10:52 PM, King said:

It has been long understood that engaging in creative meaningful work is one of most desired ambitions in life.

Like what? Advertising? Marketing? Salesmanship? Banking? Insurance? Retail? Grocery shop? Career in army? Police? Politics? 90% of them works today are wretched and dull. Not to mention borderline haram at best.

Edited by Darth Vader

On 08/04/2017 at 10:52 PM, King said:

It has been long understood that engaging in creative meaningful work is one of most desired ambitions in life.  

One of my childhood friends announced yesterday that she is closing the very successful baking business she ran from home to go work as a dentist!!! What could be more creative and meaningful than baking cakes to fill people's life with happiness,right? 

I  wanted to hold a majlis to mourn the premature death of her business but since half on my friends from that group are wahabbi.... oh well. :dry:

3 hours ago, starlight said:

One of my childhood friends announced yesterday that she is closing the very successful baking business she ran from home to go work as a dentist!!! What could be more creative and meaningful than baking cakes to fill people's life with happiness,right? 

I  wanted to hold a majlis to mourn the premature death of her business but since half on my friends from that group are wahabbi.... oh well. :dry:

Clever woman, first you create the need (bad teeth through sugar) and then you provide the solution.

I've never really understood this concept of a "career". I just want money so I can see my daughters, wife and parents taken care of. I don't value the workplace or the work ethic. I value the joy and upbringing of my loved ones.

14 minutes ago, P. Ease said:

I've never really understood this concept of a "career". I just want money so I can see my daughters, wife and parents taken care of. I don't value the workplace or the work ethic. I value the joy and upbringing of my loved ones.

Paradoxically, people spend more time in their jobs with strangers than with their own family...in order to take care of family.