ali_fatheroforphans

How to nail a presentation?

Salam,

I have this 15 minute presentation next week which I am a pretty nervous about. I am fine with 2-3 minute presentations but 15 min is way too long.

Does anyone have any tips to deliver presentations with confidence and to not get nervous? How good are you at presentations?

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Start with the name of Allah :bismillah:

How to Speak:

Speak clearly - Loud enough for all to hear -

Good pace (not too fast or too slow) - Not mumbling -

Avoid saying “um” or “like” or giggling  

Speak with enthusiasm and expression in your voice Physical Movement

Avoid distracting my audience by not: - Fidgeting - Wiggling - Shuffling your feet or papers 

Use gestures and facial expressions 

Stand relaxed, but not slouching or leaning Being Prepared

Memorized most of what you need to say

Last but not the least, ask your audience if they have any questions. 

26 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

I have this 15 minute presentation next week which I am a pretty nervous about. I am fine with 2-3 minute presentations but 15 min is way too long.

Does anyone have any tips to deliver presentations with confidence and to not get nervous? How good are you at presentations?

Practice is the key. Plus the realisation that everyone in the audience is a vulnerable soul. They all are.... So be yourself, be confident and realise that they are all kitties staring at you and judging you from a distance..... but they are so vulnerable that anything you say has twice the impact on them ..... listen to this orator/politician from Pakistan; how he shuts up everyone in his Security Council Speech despite being a national-interest failure: 

@ali_fatheroforphans 1. Think about ingrediants of your presentation. 2. Plan your presentation, 3. Make your presentation according to Plan 4. Think that your audience know nothing about your subject 5. Explain each thing to them 6. When they ask question be relaxed and do not get overconfident and maintain eye contact. 

:ws:

Make sure you know the topic well, read on it thoroughly and listen to any lectures on it aswell.

Remember to recite::bismillah:

After that recite: 

رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِنْ لِسَانِي يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي

Rabb-ishrah li sadri, wa yassir li ‘amri, Wah-lul ‘uqdatam-min-li-saani, Yaf-qahuu qawlii 

O my Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-confidence, contentment, and boldness); Ease my task for me; And remove the impediment from my speech, so they may understand what I say
[Surah Ta-Ha; 20:25-28]
A du’a that Musa (alayhis salam) made when proceeding to the court of Fir’awn (Pharoah) for the arguments (inviting him to Islam).

Also give an introduction (overview of presentation) at the beginning and make sure to summarise/conclude at the end. If you are confident in the knowledge you have on the topic, inshallah it will be fine.

The timing is also important, time yourself whilst practising. This will give you a rough estimate of how long you'll be up there for (may vary due to nerves when actually presenting). :)

Alhumdulilah I have found this to really help me and I've delivered presentations to many different audiences. Best of luck!

Edited by Heavenly_Silk

Lots of helpful advice above. :) Here is some more to make you feel totally overwhelmed and nervous :woot:

Act confident even if you don't feel it. Stand up straight,your chin up.Open up and smile. Those actions make you look and feel good.

Don't fill the slides with text. The people won't listen if they are busy reading the slides.

If it's a big group show some energy, don't mumble.

DON'T ever turn round and read from the screen. Looks very bad. Instead memorise well.

Rehearse the whole presentation at least thrice before the actual thing. Try and think of any possible questions the audience might ask.

2 hours ago, starlight said:

DON'T ever turn round and read from the screen. Looks very bad. Instead memorise well.

I am always stuck doing presentations with people who do that.

Mansur! You are going to screw this up so we will do most of the talking.

So the crowd gets to watch some girls a** mumbling to them for 10 minutes (though nobody really complained lol) while I stand to the side trying not to die.

2 minutes ago, Pearl178 said:

If someone asked a question after the presentation is over and you didn't know the answer to the question, what do you do? Asking everyone who responded.

Be honest about it. Say you don't know the answer but will find it out and let him know later.