Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail

The Resident Evil Zombie Apocalypse of Matthew 27

Rate this topic

The Resident Evil Zombie Apocalypse of Matthew 27:53

by Ibn Anwar, BHsc (Hons), MCollT

Citing the Austrian historian Johann Loserth, Professor Stephen A. Barney writes:

"64-69 dede men: The rising of the dead from their graves and their appearing to many people is found only in Matthew's Gospel (27:52-53). Ludolph carefully observes that these dead rose "not then" when the graves were opened, but at Jesus' Resurrection, as Matthew (27:53) specified (ed. Bolard et al. 1865:672). Wyclif agrees rather with the tradition that L seems to follow: acknowledging that Christ was the first-born from the dead, he still finds that bodies were raised before the Resurrection to bear witness to the efficacy of Jesus' death-- but they rose not to life (ad vitam); their souls were only mechanically joined to their bodies ut motrices, ZOMBIE-LIKE (ed. Loserth 1890, 4:182)." [1] (emphasis added)

Mark Beuving of Eternity Bible College identifies the incident in Matthew 27:52-53 as the rising of "Christian Zombies":

"Believe it or not, one of the signs of the power of Jesus’ death was the introduction of Christian zombies...This true zombie story, then, speaks not of the reign of death, but of eternal life."[2]

So Muslims are not being disrespectful when they liken the Matthean story to that of a "zombie apocalypse". Academics and Christian commentators themselves have used that specific epithet to describe that biblical myth.

Notes:

[1] Barney, S. A. (2006). The Penn Commentary on Piers Plowman Volume 5: C Passus 20-22; B Passus 18-20. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. p. 32

[2] Beuving, M. (October 30, 2013). Zombies in the Bible. Retrieved from http://facultyblog.eternitybiblecollege.com/2013/10/zombies-in-the-bible/#.WM6YMG-GOUk

15 minutes ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

"Believe it or not, one of the signs of the power of Jesus’ death was the introduction of Christian zombies...This true zombie story, then, speaks not of the reign of death, but of eternal life."[2]

Except that Muslims do not believe that Jesus (Prophet Isa) AS was killed or crucified. See the Holy Qur'an 4:157.

"And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure."

I am very certain that the zombie-story is a myth. Had it really happened, Mathew had not been the only scribe to report this. That Jesus somehow was not crucified is also a myth. Of course he was. Not by the Jews thou. He was crucified and killed by the Romans. Could this not be what the Quran actually say? "They (the jews) killed him not"

20 hours ago, andres said:

I am very certain that the zombie-story is a myth. Had it really happened, Mathew had not been the only scribe to report this. That Jesus somehow was not crucified is also a myth. Of course he was. Not by the Jews thou. He was crucified and killed by the Romans. Could this not be what the Quran actually say? "They (the jews) killed him not"

My understanding is that the last miracle of Jesus was "He gave up the ghost". Death was inevitable, but He did not leave it to the Jews nor Romans. 

Anyway. If the zombie story was true, there would be reports of them attacking people, etc, of course nobody knows exactly how many zombies fled to the hills and hid for all these centuries. They could be wandering the night streets in your neighbourhood now. I'm sure you've heard the reports of the flesh eaters capturing people and turning them into christians, er...zombies. 

Actually there's a much deeper meaning in Matthew's Gospel (27:52-53). You can find it in Daniel, and the Revelation to John. Not something you can thumb through. The three days and nights between death and heaven seems to be a thing. :scarerun: I have a feeling you'd rather stick with the zombie story.

Two problems with the whole deal. First off check the history of "zombies", secondly, anyone who died prior to Jesus wasn't actually Christian. It would have had to be Jewish zombies. All your sources missed it. 

Actually what I don't have is Islam's take on body, soul, spirit, what parts go to heaven, what stays behind. I've heard a few things but was waiting for someone who had a full concept. 

Hi Son of Placid

I do not really understand what you mean. Jesus gave up the Ghost. It says the same in Swedish Bibles. We have many different ways of saying someone died i swedish, probably in english there are even more. Giving up the Ghost is in my opinion simply more poetic than just saying he died. I guess Mathew wished to honor Jesus with a more poetic language, thou I confess I am not familiar with the original Greek text. Is there anything in Mathew Gospel that indicate that Jesus did not die like we all do?

6 hours ago, andres said:

Hi Son of Placid

I do not really understand what you mean. Jesus gave up the Ghost. It says the same in Swedish Bibles. We have many different ways of saying someone died i swedish, probably in english there are even more. Giving up the Ghost is in my opinion simply more poetic than just saying he died. I guess Mathew wished to honor Jesus with a more poetic language, thou I confess I am not familiar with the original Greek text. Is there anything in Mathew Gospel that indicate that Jesus did not die like we all do?

It's recorded that Jesus said, "Into thy hands I commit my spirit" and when He said that He breathed His last, (gave up the ghost). Not something you or I could do.

Two others, also on crosses were still hanging around. Crucifixion is a slow death, they can hang there for days. Jesus may have done a few hours. It was the time of the Passover and there was some rule about not having live people hanging around over the course of the event. The soldiers were sent out in the evening to break the legs of those on the crosses. I'm guessing that even if your feet are nailed up you can get some traction and as long as they hold up you don't suffocate. When they got to Jesus he was (to their surprise) already dead. Rather than break his dead legs, they stabbed him with a spear, out came "blood and water" which is a pretty good sign nothing is working in the body other than enzymes. The spirit was already taken. In that sense he escaped dying at the hands of the Jews and Romans.

There is some significance to that last miracle, but it doesn't confirm the common belief that Jesus rose up to Heaven. The Gospel records show there were other things to do first. There was a tremendous shift in the spiritual world, also in the manner of how the spirits of the dead were handled. This was noticed and mentioned by the Apostles after Jesus was gone.  It brought on statements like;  "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places".

Things we prefer to ignore.

Shi'is might find this interesting but there is a possibility of dead coming back to life, visiting their old residences and even a hint of some violence IIRC. This is a "unconfirmed" sign of the return/arrival. As we may know there is a list of "confirmed" signs like the Sufyani for example, but there are hadiths of uncertain-to-happen signs too and something like a "zombie apocalypse" is among those.

3 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

It's recorded that Jesus said, "Into thy hands I commit my spirit" and when He said that He breathed His last, (gave up the ghost). Not something you or I could do.

Two others, also on crosses were still hanging around. Crucifixion is a slow death, they can hang there for days. Jesus may have done a few hours. 

I do not understand what difference it makes if Jesus committed some sort of suicide or if he died from the crucifixion. Is it not overinterpretation? And concerning the one hanging on the cross beside; Jesus said he would be in paradise the very same day as Jesus died. We can make many theories out of this, but what is the point of trying.?

2 minutes ago, andres said:

I do not understand what difference it makes if Jesus committed some sort of suicide or if he died from the crucifixion.

According to the Bible, the Sixth Commandment is do not commit murder, so suicide is an act of murder. Prophet Isa AS would not commit suicide. 

17 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

Actually what I don't have is Islam's take on body, soul, spirit, what parts go to heaven, what stays behind. 

Hi SoP 

I don't believe body parts will go anywhere. 

The main thing that constitutes a person is his soul. The rest is really irrelevant. The body that God has given us is just a tool to test how we perform in good times and bad.

Without a body, how would God know whether we can resist the temptation of losing our temper, deceive someone in order to make the extra dollar, shop around for sexual pleasure and the like? That is the reason for our body. But your body is not an integral part of the real son of Placid.

In any case, the body really gets destroyed very quickly. If we are cremated, it goes away in a jiffy. If we are buried, worms eat away the flesh and the skeleton remains for a while, until eventually it too is gone.

We may get a new body should God decides that as a way of giving us the joys of Paradise or the tortures of Hell. But it will definitely not be the same body. And it may not necessarily be anything like it. We could be a new species, most probably unisex or non-sex.

I am afraid more I don't know. If you leave your phone number with me, I will borrow a mobile from one of the angels on my way to wherever I am sent and give you more details. I will tell the angel that I had promised a friend and God does not like a promise to be broken. So I may be able to trick him into letting me call you from somewhere in deep blue space. 

I really don't know where I will be going. Because I have come to realize that we humans do far, far more sins than we are aware of. Far more! And what is worse is that we just don't care. I honestly that think most of us, including myself, really deserve to spend a fair while in hell. I don't mean anyone personally but in general. Don't you agree?

May the mercy of the Lord be on all of us. May He forgive our countless sins and may He help us do His bidding rather than endlessly look for our own worldly ends.  

22 hours ago, baqar said:

Hi SoP 

I don't believe body parts will go anywhere. 

The main thing that constitutes a person is his soul. The rest is really irrelevant. The body that God has given us is just a tool to test how we perform in good times and bad.

Without a body, how would God know whether we can resist the temptation of losing our temper, deceive someone in order to make the extra dollar, shop around for sexual pleasure and the like? That is the reason for our body. But your body is not an integral part of the real son of Placid.

In any case, the body really gets destroyed very quickly. If we are cremated, it goes away in a jiffy. If we are buried, worms eat away the flesh and the skeleton remains for a while, until eventually it too is gone.

We may get a new body should God decides that as a way of giving us the joys of Paradise or the tortures of Hell. But it will definitely not be the same body. And it may not necessarily be anything like it. We could be a new species, most probably unisex or non-sex.

I am afraid more I don't know. If you leave your phone number with me, I will borrow a mobile from one of the angels on my way to wherever I am sent and give you more details. I will tell the angel that I had promised a friend and God does not like a promise to be broken. So I may be able to trick him into letting me call you from somewhere in deep blue space. 

I really don't know where I will be going. Because I have come to realize that we humans do far, far more sins than we are aware of. Far more! And what is worse is that we just don't care. I honestly that think most of us, including myself, really deserve to spend a fair while in hell. I don't mean anyone personally but in general. Don't you agree?

May the mercy of the Lord be on all of us. May He forgive our countless sins and may He help us do His bidding rather than endlessly look for our own worldly ends.  

Found in the second letter to the Corinthians. 

For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down, we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies.

According to the Bible, we get a new body and a new name. Earth passes from our memory as ever tear is dried. We won't be married, nor given in marriage, we will meet the comforter, and will have helpers. 

Actually that's gathered from a few places in the Bible, but seems to jive with what you are saying.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:08 PM, andres said:

I do not understand what difference it makes if Jesus committed some sort of suicide or if he died from the crucifixion. Is it not overinterpretation? And concerning the one hanging on the cross beside; Jesus said he would be in paradise the very same day as Jesus died. We can make many theories out of this, but what is the point of trying.?

Not sure I understand how you got committing suicide out of that. Figure...you're hanging by your hands, can't beat yourself. Your feet are nailed down, can't kick yourself to death, what possible form of suicide could there even be?

On 3/20/2017 at 3:22 PM, Darth Vader said:

Shi'is might find this interesting but there is a possibility of dead coming back to life, visiting their old residences and even a hint of some violence IIRC. This is a "unconfirmed" sign of the return/arrival. As we may know there is a list of "confirmed" signs like the Sufyani for example, but there are hadiths of uncertain-to-happen signs too and something like a "zombie apocalypse" is among those.

In the book of Hebrews it is written; "It is appointed unto man once to die, after this the judgement" I take that literally.

"Dead" has been "brought back to life" for centuries. Actually, what I've come to understand, evil spirits who knew the deceased can take on their appearance and speech, when "called upon". In a room of people willing to open themselves to it.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:52 PM, hameedeh said:

Except that Muslims do not believe that Jesus (Prophet Isa) AS was killed or crucified. See the Holy Qur'an 4:157.

"And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the messenger of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure."

Salaam Sister.. I never said that Jesus got killed or crucified. In fact, the position of Ahl as-sunnah wa l-jamāʻah is that he is alive and will return to follow the shari'ah of Muhammad (s.a.w.) and will defeat the Masih ad-dajjal, the Muslims (Sunnis and Shi'ah) have an ijmaa' on this. No sane person will reject verse 4:157 or try to twist unless that person belongs to Ahmadiyyah. 

Edited by Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail

8 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

Not sure I understand how you got committing suicide out of that. Figure...you're hanging by your hands, can't beat yourself. Your feet are nailed down, can't kick yourself to death, what possible form of suicide could there even be?

And I am not sure how you mean Jesus died. Did he decide to die earlier than he should have, had he allowed the process of dying by crucifiction to work normally? And why? 

If you decide to die, is this not a suicide, no matter how you do it? 

10 hours ago, andres said:

And I am not sure how you mean Jesus died. Did he decide to die earlier than he should have, had he allowed the process of dying by crucifiction to work normally? And why? 

If you decide to die, is this not a suicide, no matter how you do it? 

If you decide to die while in a situation where you cannot kill yourself, you'll be disappointed with the outcome. 

35 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

If you decide to die while in a situation where you cannot kill yourself, you'll be disappointed with the outcome. 

So what you are suggesting is that only Jesus body died from the crucifixion and his soul escaped to heaven before that happened? So the Romans did only kill Jesus empty body?