Jump to content
Gaius I. Caesar

How do you get a job in the UK if disabled?

Recommended Posts

Salaam alaikum,

I am thinking about moving to the UK in the near future to study,and I have been wondering how would I get a job being physically handicapped? I never held a job being in the States because most are simply unfeasible in regards to my physical challenges associated with my condition.

Is there any entry level work that requires my mind for me to be successful? If not, I will try to take a job in writing articles and such.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, baqar said:

The UK is more socially oriented that the US. So I think there is better chance there.

You should perhaps make enquiries as soon as you arrive in the UK.

I will definitely do that.

2 hours ago, Ahmad Al said:

Perhaps if you travel with a friend or close family member, he/she can help you get around easily and help you find a nice job :) 

They can get me around all right but finding for a job might be asking too much, we'll see what happens when I get there.

Right now, I would like an idea of where to look for a basic job in the UK. I would gladly work in a shop or store run by a Shia family as a cashier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I will definitely do that.

They can get me around all right but finding for a job might be asking too much, we'll see what happens when I get there.

Right now, I would like an idea of where to look for a basic job in the UK. I would gladly work in a shop or store run by a Shia family as a cashier.

I see. Inshallah all goes well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I am thinking about moving to the UK in the near future to study,and I have been wondering how would I get a job being physically handicapped?

Salam. In the US, the company called Goodwill Industries International helps people with training and jobs. I'm not sure if they are located in other countries.

http://www.goodwill.org/find-jobs-and-services/find-a-job/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum,

I am thinking about moving to the UK in the near future to study,and I have been wondering how would I get a job being physically handicapped? I never held a job being in the States because most are simply unfeasible in regards to my physical challenges associated with my condition.

Is there any entry level work that requires my mind for me to be successful? If not, I will try to take a job in writing articles and such.

 

What is your disability ? What type of position do you think you are suited for/ would you like to have ideally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum,

I am thinking about moving to the UK in the near future to study,and I have been wondering how would I get a job being physically handicapped? I never held a job being in the States because most are simply unfeasible in regards to my physical challenges associated with my condition.

Is there any entry level work that requires my mind for me to be successful? If not, I will try to take a job in writing articles and such.

 

Wa'alaykum Assalam.

Here are a few links that you might find useful. Insha'Allah, you find a position you are content with.

Work and disability

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/disability-in-the-workplace.aspx

Employing disabled people and people with health conditions

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employing-disabled-people-and-people-with-health-conditions/employing-disabled-people-and-people-with-health-conditions

https://www.gov.uk/browse/disabilities

Scope/Work

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/jobseekers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anonimo said:

What is your disability ? What type of position do you think you are suited for/ would you like to have ideally? 

I have cerebral palsy and I think I would be quite capable in a writing job, cashiers or office work but it has to be entry level. Ideally, I think I would do best in a job such as overseeing people's work.

@magma True but every time I look for an online job, I find things that are simply too good to be true or something really tedious. I don't know,I will look into again but that's the impression that I have of online jobs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the voice, patience, and personality for it, consider call center or receptionist work. 

Hopefully someone here on shiachat owns a shop or office and can set you up with work before you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, notme said:

If you have the voice, patience, and personality for it, consider call center or receptionist work. 

Hopefully someone here on shiachat owns a shop or office and can set you up with work before you go.

Insha'Allah, that would be great but for now, I plan to do some sight-seeing, try to see the UK for what it really is and creating ties and many contracts as possible. 

Call centers or receptionist jobs are out of the question, because I am hearing impaired and I get a fierce temper when people don't speak clearly.

But I like the suggestions, keep posting away. Gives me ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Online call center, where the customer service representative communicates via text chat? 

Do you have any specialized skills? Can you type? Can you tutor? Can you repair computers? Anything, really. 

Or maybe if you can afford to not work for a longer period of time, sign up for a training program for whichever work you would find suitable and enjoyable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notme said:

Online call center, where the customer service representative communicates via text chat? 

Oh whoops, I forgot about that. That sounds feasible to me.

3 minutes ago, notme said:

Do you have any specialized skills? Can you type? Can you tutor? Can you repair computers? Anything, really. 

I can type and I can tutor in social studies and history.

6 minutes ago, notme said:

Or maybe if you can afford to not work for a longer period of time, sign up for a training program for whichever work you would find suitable and enjoyable. 

 

That's another good one, I will look at that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2017 at 10:37 PM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Salaam alaikum,

I am thinking about moving to the UK in the near future to study,and I have been wondering how would I get a job being physically handicapped? I never held a job being in the States because most are simply unfeasible in regards to my physical challenges associated with my condition.

Is there any entry level work that requires my mind for me to be successful? If not, I will try to take a job in writing articles and such.

 

if you declare your disability during application, you are pretty much guaranteed at least an interview ahead of other similarly qualified candidates. its actually very bias towards people with disabilities to get work in the UK. use it to your advantage, companies love employing people with disabilities and non white people to show how culturally diverse they are. its nothing but good PR. 

so long as you do not apply for something you obviously could not do well, like being a firefighter, you are good, man. 

some info here:

https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-person/employment

https://www.gov.uk/looking-for-work-if-disabled/applying-for-a-job

I am assuming you are looking for a part time job? places like ASDA (walmart) would probably be the best place to start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, repenter said:

First question is, why would you move to UK at all.........

Can't think of anything; Nice weather-Nope, People-Nope, I mean for heaven's sake they get happy when the sun comes out, how bad can they get? Less drunk people-Nope, pubs and pimms everywhere. Oh wait, here's something, possibly a week's worth of free holiday when God decides times up for the Queen. Though she could easily outlive you, tyrants often tend to, so I suppose it is a bit of a gamble. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Can't think of anything; Nice weather-Nope, People-Nope, I mean for heaven's sake they get happy when the sun comes out, how bad can they get? Less drunk people-Nope, pubs and pimms everywhere. Oh wait, here's something, possibly a week's worth of free holiday when God decides times up for the Queen. Though she could easily outlive you, tyrants often tend to, so I suppose it is a bit of a gamble. 

1. Better education.

2. Better disability benefits and rights.

3. More choices to vote for.

4.More Shias than the US.

5. No gun culture and better gun control laws.

6. Far more culture and history than the US will ever have.

7. Easier to do ziyarah from the UK than the US.

8. NHS isn't perfect but it's much better than the GOP healthcare.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. America has better universities overall, and if you're not British, getting funding to study in Britain is nearly impossible. I was a foreign student and I got a pretty generous scholarship in America.

2. True I suppose. I wouldn't know.

3. Eh, its the same thing really, still neoliberals domestically, neocons in foreign policy. Britain goes with what America does in foreign policy anyway, it has no independent voice.

4. True, but if you live in a place like Orlando or New York, you will have many shias around you, so in that sense you won't feel the difference even if you were to move.

5. I suppose yeah, I don't factor it too much into my life.

6. Culture? In what way? Yeah more history but what does that mean in terms of lifestyle exactly? It sounds like nothing beyond more museums to see.

7. This is probably the best argument, cheaper to travel. Do you need a visa to stay in Britain? Do you have an EU passport? How does that work with Brexit exactly?

8. Yeah true, but I've heard its undergoing massive cuts with May's government, so I'm not sure exactly what the future of it is, but I suppose some Brits can help you.

On the other hand; America is cheaper than Britain by far, food isn't as expensive, housing is way cheaper (bigger houses for less cost), wages are better marginally, and at least when you factor in living costs, its much more affordable to live in the US. Though you will get guaranteed paid-time off which is the best thing about working in Britain, I think.

Honestly, I think they're very similar, some pros, some cons on either side. Net result isn't much different, at least in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

1. Better education.

2. Better disability benefits and rights.

3. More choices to vote for.

4.More Shias than the US.

5. No gun culture and better gun control laws.

6. Far more culture and history than the US will ever have.

7. Easier to do ziyarah from the UK than the US.

8. NHS isn't perfect but it's much better than the GOP healthcare.

Yeah...but compare it to other EU countries...not the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, repenter said:

Yeah...but compare it to other EU countries...not the US.

generally all the western European countries are more or less the same when you count up all the various pros and cons. the more liberal socialist countries like UK, Sweden etc are pretty sweet to live in. if you have a UK/ EU passport you have complete freedom of movement to live and work within the EU without needing a visa or permits or anything so its probably better to see it all as one big country.

I suppose the benefit of living on an island like the UK is that there's slightly less chance of ISIS slipping into the country through the tide of refugees. and the far right is unlikely to ever succeed as well as it has done in places like france and germany. plus life for shia is way better here than across the rest of Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×