Hasan Moslem

Philosophy of Islam in regards to 'the mind'?

Rate this topic

Besmillaherrahmanerrahim,

Salam'un alaykum brothers and sisters. If there are any qualified Islamic theologians on here (or if you could recommend me someone else, I'd appreciate that), I would like to ask the following question:

How does Islam view ' The Mind/ The Soul/ The Spirit '? Does Islam say that we consist of both of matter and mind/soul/spirit (like Substance Dualism does), or does Islam actually say that we are 'the soul/ the mind/ the spirit' and that we consist of matter?

To put in a different manner, does Islam say that we have both a body (including the brain) and a soul/mind/spirit OR does Islam say that we are souls/minds/spirits and that we have a body (including the brain). 

Since Substance Dualism suffers from an Interaction Problem, it would make it truly problematic for Islam if Islam holds a Substance Dualistic view of 'Mind and Body'. 

I'd like the opportunity to thank any response in advance.

Assalam'un alaykum wa rahmatullahe barakatoh.

21 minutes ago, Hasan Moslem said:

Besmillaherrahmanerrahim,

Salam'un alaykum brothers and sisters. If there are any qualified Islamic theologians on here (or if you could recommend me someone else, I'd appreciate that), I would like to ask the following question:

How does Islam view ' The Mind/ The Soul/ The Spirit '? Does Islam say that we consist of both of matter and mind/soul/spirit (like Substance Dualism does), or does Islam actually say that we are 'the soul/ the mind/ the spirit' and that we consist of matter?

To put in a different manner, does Islam say that we have both a body (including the brain) and a soul/mind/spirit OR does Islam say that we are souls/minds/spirits and that we have a body (including the brain). 

Since Substance Dualism suffers from an Interaction Problem, it would make it truly problematic for Islam if Islam holds a Substance Dualistic view of 'Mind and Body'. 

I'd like the opportunity to thank any response in advance.

Assalam'un alaykum wa rahmatullahe barakatoh.

God says in Quran,  we made creation in pairs. 

Reason: Creation may depend on each other and know that they are not independent and know that God is there who made them dependent.

9 hours ago, Hasan Moslem said:

The soul is given primacy in Islamic thought, it is what is fundamental, primary and our reality. The soul is merely contained in a body while we are in this realm of existence. The nature of the interaction between body and soul in this realm is an extensive topic on its own.

Wasalam

Like in most schools of thought, there are different views. The view of Sadrian philosophical theology (Mulla Sadra Shirazi's Hikmah Muta'aliyah), and his followers supports your second premise. Look up his masterpiece the Asfar alArba'ah if you read Arabic or farsi. If not, chapters 8&9 dealing with the Hereafter, were translated into English. A discussion on the soul and its reality, as well as a summary of his main philosophical concepts is included. 

8 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

The soul is given primacy in Islamic thought, it is what is fundamental, primary and our reality. The soul is merely contained in a body while we are in this realm of existence. The nature of the interaction between body and soul in this realm is an extensive topic on its own.

Wasalam

Salam'un alaykum, thanks for clearing it up. I just wanted to know whether the soul is seen as fundamental or not, rather than 1 of the 2 fundamental substances (along with the brain). But your comment has now cleared it up and I'd say Dual-Aspect Idealism is the most befitting description of the philosophy Islam has in regards to the philosophy of the soul. Basically, under Dual-Aspect Idealism, the brain is viewed as an 'image' of the soul. So, the soul=consciousness=us, but we still have a brain for the need of gaining knowledge, build social relations, etc. 

However, since The Soul/ The Mind/ The Spirit = Consciousness = ' Us ', it will be the only thing which will benefit us on the Hereafter.

Assalam'un alaykum warahmatullahe barakatoh

7 hours ago, beardedbaker said:

Like in most schools of thought, there are different views. The view of Sadrian philosophical theology (Mulla Sadra Shirazi's Hikmah Muta'aliyah), and his followers supports your second premise. Look up his masterpiece the Asfar alArba'ah if you read Arabic or farsi. If not, chapters 8&9 dealing with the Hereafter, were translated into English. A discussion on the soul and its reality, as well as a summary of his main philosophical concepts is included. 

Salam'un alaykum.

So Mulla Sadra Shirazi and his followers support the premise that we are 'the soul' and that we have a brain (and body)? Also, do you know if I can access his book online? If yes, could you perhaps tell me where I can read his whole book in English or at least chapters 8 & 9 of his book?

Assalam'un alaykum warahmatollahe barakatoh

As far as I know is that ..human comprise of ruh (soul) ,body and mind (nafs)..in which three of them have to work together for example car is body,petrol is soul and driver is mind if any of the three is disturbed or not present it will not be possible for car to move properly.or in future result will be weird.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:18 AM, Hasan Moslem said:

Salam'un alaykum.

So Mulla Sadra Shirazi and his followers support the premise that we are 'the soul' and that we have a brain (and body)? Also, do you know if I can access his book online? If yes, could you perhaps tell me where I can read his whole book in English or at least chapters 8 & 9 of his book?

Assalam'un alaykum warahmatollahe barakatoh

salaam, see: 

https://www.islamic-college.ac.uk/shop/spiritual-psychology-fourth-intellectual-journey-pbk/

1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Any book recommendations about this topic?

Yes brother, there are numerous books - but the ones I am familiar with are in Farsi and generally not online. There are various institutes in Qom (like Ayt. Misbah's, Ayt. Jawadi's and other philosophy institutes) that are constantly publishing new works and research on the topic. Not to mention there are various academic articles you can find on www.noormags.ir

Wasalam