Sign in to follow this  
Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail

My Love, My Prophet...

Rate this topic

Keeping of Promise

"The Believers are...those who are keepers of their Covenants" 
"And fullfil their promises." (Quran)

The world would have been different if the injunction would have been given the full effect. But in the Prophet we find a practical verity of it to its perfection. I have cited some instances'. which should be taken as a lesson by the Christian Governments in respecting the treaties they make every day, and which they honour through breaches. Muhammad as a ruler also enters into treaties with his enemies, they ask him to consent to such terms are most unfavourable even to his Mission; he accepts them and observes them under circumstances when the Western political conscience does not feel perturbed in breaking covenants. In the battle of Badr, the numerical strength of the Muslims was exceedingly small. Two of his companions remained behind, and the enemy intercepted them on their way, but released them on the promise that they would not join the Prophet. They reached his camp, but were returned when they related of their promise; though every man was indispensable.

Doing of Justice

Not less difficult than keeping promise is the doing of justice in case where one of the parties concerned happens to belong to the adverse camp. But the Quran says. "Surely Allah enjoins doing of justice. "Let not hatred of a people incite you not to act equitably; act equitably, that is nearer to piety." And Muhammad observes it. A woman belonging to the tribe of Makhzum was found guilty of theft; and her relations requested Usama Ibn Zaid, for whom the Prophet had much regard, to intervene and entreat the Prophet to release her. The Prophet said. "O Usama, do you mean to come to me and intercede against the Laws of God?' Then the Prophet convened a meeting and thus addressed them
"Nations which have preceded you have been wiped off the face of the earth, for the one reason only, that they imposed punishments on the poor and relaxed the laws in favour of the rich. I swear by God that if Fatima, my own daughter, were to be found guilty of theft, then I would have her hand cut 

On the eye of his death the Prophet proclaimed that if he owed any money to anyone, that person should demand it from him. if he ever had hurt the property and life of any man, then his own life and property were at that man's disposal; that he should take revenge therefore on him in this world. The whole congregation was silent. There was only one who rose and claimed the payment of a few dirhems, which were paid off there and then. Once the Prophet was distributing booty; and the people had gathered round him, when a certain man leant the whole weight of his body on the Prophet. The Prophet had a small thin stick in his hand with which he pushed the man away; but in so doing, the end of the stick scratched the offender's face, The prophet said: "Take revenge on me." The man said: "O Prophet of God, I forgo my right and I forgive thee".

The Prophet Discouraged undue Reverence

Polytheism finds its origin in exaggerated and undue veneration, and praises sung in honour of holy men. The Prophet realized this, and used to say, "Do not utter such exaggerated words of praise for me, as the Christians do in honour of Ibn Maryam (i.e., Son of Mary). I'm nothing more than a servant of God and His Apostle. . Qais-b. Sa'd relates that he went to Hira, where he found that the people prostrated before their chief to show their respect for him. On his return he came to the Prophet and related what he had experienced. He suggested to the Prophet that he deserved that the people should prostrate themselves before him in a far greater degree than did the chief of Hira. The Prophet said. "I would like to know whether you would prostrate youmelf before my grave after my death. Qais said. "No" The Prophet said —then why should you prostrate yourself while I am alive?"

9 hours ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

The Prophet Discouraged undue Reverence

Of course.

I think Islam defines justice as everything being in its right place.

The rich man is not above the poor, the ruler is not above his subjects, the six feet four 200 pound boxer is not above the three foot dwarf in the circus, the brilliant professor is not above his students, and so on and so forth.

There are a few very subtle exceptions - parents being on the top of the list. The subtlety lies in the fact that parents are not really above the child in the eyes of God, yet God requires an extraordinary amount of respect for them.

The funny thing is that even if the parent is a devil, you MUST still respect him/her.

Thus if Hitler had a son, Islam would not require the son to respect the father's actions and policies, The son may loathe his father and refuse to support him if called upon as a witness in court. Islam has no problems with that.

But he can NEVER be rude to him. He may tell his father what is wrong with him. But he must do it very politely. He must show his respect to his father at all times, and try to counsel him if possible.

Respect for parents is mandatory even if they are deniers in the existence of God. 

The only thing that distinguishes one man from another, in the eyes of God, is respect for and obedience to His Will which translates to piety (Q. 49:13).  

Undue placement of anything is contrary to the principles of Islam and divine justice.