Rate this topic

Just now, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

In Hebrew, the root H-M-D meant to desire, to want, to covet, etc. In Arabic, the root H-M-D meant to praise, to extol, to laud, etc. Although the origin of these words is the same- a thing which is desired [something that is desired is a thing which is coveted- praise is also a coveted quality]. However, as its often the case in Semitic languages, words often vary from the original meaning to encompass something else. L-H-M, for instance, meant bread in the North Semitic, but the same word meant meat in South Semitic- the original root had the meaning of something which is eaten and sustained life- which included both bread and meat.

you know what? most muslims never gave the meanings of words no thought. If you ask any arab what subhan Allah means, or what hamd means they wont go beyond the shallow rhetoric they have been taught. I think that the root meaning, and original meaning is much better to understand the true meaning. I would say that envy would be the negative aspect of the word, while the positive would be desired. When saying all praise to God .. alhamdulilah .. or muhamad .. the praised one .. it can be exactly used as you said as well .. all desire to Allah, the desired one .. the wanted .. the admired etc. i believe that we need to unlock the true meanings of words to bring about the golden age. People like you can help. Please read the edited part of the last post and the latest one. please give more info about he HMD if you can, as it is root to the victory verse in the Quran .. here

2 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

i would also like to ask, how the meem came from the water hyroglyph if i understood correctly,

EgyptianHieroglyphs1.jpg.813d1bff49bb428495574e26f2630c58.jpg

it seems that the water sign was closer to Nun, and the Owl was meem?

The Egyptian word for water is MW- which is the same in Semitic

Water.jpg

2 minutes ago, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

Water.jpg

interesting, but you don't know the relationship between single wave being letter N and 3 waves being mw?

so the nwyt consisting of 10 symbols represents the Phoenician Nun?

44 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

interesting, but you don't know the relationship between single wave being letter N and 3 waves being mw?

Water.jpg

1 hour ago, 313 Seeker said:

We should not forget that the Egyptian signs were much like Semitic signs in nature- the names of the letters represented only the first sound of the word. Alef is the name of the first letter in the Semitic abjad's, but the L and F do not make up the sound- only the A does. The same thing occurred in Egyptian, the name of "wave" is NWYT, and the name of a serpent is NZRT, but only the initial N is what is represented by the sign.

Edited by Yaaqov Ben Yisrael

2 minutes ago, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

We should not forget that the Egyptian signs were much like Semitic signs in nature- the names of the letters represented only the first sound of the word. Alef is the name of the first letter in the Semitic abjad's, but the L and F do not make up the sound- only the A does. The same thing occurred in Egyptian, the name of "wave" is NWYT, and the name of a serpent is NZRT, but only the initial N is what is represented by the sign.

ah CLE-VER!!

3 hours ago, 313 Seeker said:

i want to go more into the HMD thing .. that is fascinating

I wrote the name out for you in Ugaritic and Akkadian Cuneiform. The oldest of the Semitic languages is Akkadian.

HMD.jpg

15 minutes ago, Yaaqov Ben Yisrael said:

I wrote the name out for you in Ugaritic and Akkadian Cuneiform. The oldest of the Semitic languages is Akkadian.

HMD.jpg

so it seems that in all semitic languages it is in unison except in arabic. I wonder when and how this split happened. This is really interesting. 

For instance .. 

وَيُحِبُّونَ أَنْ يُحْمَدُوا بِمَا لَمْ يَفْعَلُوا فَلَا تَحْسَبَنَّهُمْ بِمَفَازَةٍ مِنَ الْعَذَابِ

it is typically translate this way:

And never think that those who rejoice in what they have perpetrated and like to be praised for what they did not do - never think them in safety from the punishment, and for them is a painful punishment.

And never think that those who rejoice in what they have perpetrated and like to be desired for what they did not do - never think them in safety from the punishment, and for them is a painful punishment.

the word 'desired' can be also replaced with 'admired' or 'yearned for'. In this case this verse would make more sense than the word praised for, because it appears more accurate to me and realistic than expecting to have people actually thank you. Get what i mean. 

The word HMD surprising does not occur very much in the quran - only 126 times . The example above is just the first one, but one can do all the rest to confirm the possibility of the variations in the meaning. Everybody knows that language evolves, so this evolution would be revolutionary to say the least, if it turns out to be true. Very interesting indeed, and hope to research further into it. Many thanks