Rate this topic

Hi Sindbad05

Mormons are not Christians. They have roots in Christianity, they use the Christian Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, revealed to the American prophet J.Smith in the 19th century. One can say the difference between Christianity and Judaism is similar to the difference between Christianity and Mormonism. Christianity developed from Judaism and Mormonism developed from Christianity. And Bahai developed from Islam. 

And certainly there have been many heresies within both Christianity and Islam. And of course the heretic branches believe it is the others that are heresies. Can we agree that Boko Haram and ISIS are heresies, maybe we also can agree that some smaller Christian ones also are. Lets leave them out of the discussion.

Edited by andres

6 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

Well, wrong interpretation, you mean that womb is capable to carry God ? Does this things qualify Jesus for god ? I do not think so. Brother, God transcends all and none can confine God or compel God. If you believe in God, you must know the meaning of what you believe "He is all powerful". So, how can all powerful be confined by something lower. Jesus a.s was not god but Prophet sent by Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. 

As I told you. The Virgin birth is a myth. It never happened. It could have because God can do it if he wishes to. Luke and Mathew tell the story. (two stories that does not match at all) The early church bought the stories. They really does not affect the core of the mesage of Jesus. Jesus never said he was born by a Virgin. And Mary also seems totally unaware of this miracle.

6 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

The perversion of true faith took place after the departure of Isa. For Isa's true preaching see commentary of verses 72 to 74 of this surah; and for tawaffaytani (you took me up) see commentary of Ali Imran: 55.

I agree trinity was a theological conclusion made centuries after Jesus. Personally I find it wrong according to the testimonies in the Bible, the oldes ones we have got. Personally I also think the Quran is to distant from the events of Jesus, to be an authority on his life.

6 hours ago, andres said:

I agree trinity was a theological conclusion made centuries after Jesus. Personally I find it wrong according to the testimonies in the Bible, the oldes ones we have got. Personally I also think the Quran is to distant from the events of Jesus, to be an authority on his life.

Was not Jesus distant from Moses, but God gave him authority to explain Torah and he invited people towards its explanation. If God wants nothing is impossible. Prophet PBUHHP explained the life of Jesus son of Mary and told Christians through rational and logical discussion that God does not eat food and is not present in one place but absent in another and no body can contain Him in its beats. God is different from creation. Jesus was a prophet and an extraordinary superhuman, but he was not God. Since you yourself have admitted that there is contradiction in Bible and they were wrong, so how do you believe your own reason, you could be wrong too. If I be in the situation you are, I would rather listen to Muhammad PBUHHP and ask same questions which He PBUHHP asked from Christians. You say that Prophet Jesus did not got birth from virgin Mary, then why Is he been called as "Son of Mary", do you think Jesus lied to you or Mary lied to you or God lied to you and you are right but all those three are wrong ?

7 hours ago, andres said:

Hi Sindbad05

Mormons are not Christians. They have roots in Christianity, they use the Christian Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, revealed to the American prophet J.Smith in the 19th century. One can say the difference between Christianity and Judaism is similar to the difference between Christianity and Mormonism. Christianity developed from Judaism and Mormonism developed from Christianity. And Bahai developed from Islam. 

And certainly there have been many heresies within both Christianity and Islam. And of course the heretic branches believe it is the others that are heresies. Can we agree that Boko Haram and ISIS are heresies, maybe we also can agree that some smaller Christian ones also are. Lets leave them out of the discussion.

I would call the present Christianity to be heresy too, because there have been many reforms in your own religion. Jesus came to you as Prophet to convey you message of God, and He was killed according to you and you admitted that He died and then came into life, How can a god die ? Eternity is the main element for being God, eternity states that there can be nothing that can change God because if it changed then either, it was not god before or was not god after and if anyone is not god before or after how can he be god ? 

Yeah you ruled out Mormons but your present Christian belief is also a heresy from the original teachings, how can you guarantee that there was not a sect from which your current Christian belief has not evolved ? Every belief which emerged out and when divided, each sect is heresy for the other. As in our traditions says that there were 71 sects in Juadism, 72 sects in Christianity and 73 sects in Islam. And only one sect from each of those will go to heaven. I believe current Juadism and Christian beliefs does not qualify for heaven because their books are lost and wrongs are apparent where Prophets are either called gods or insulted. I believe that if any among current Christians and Jews go to heaven, he or she will go to because of his or humanity and impartial attitude towards other fellow humans who believe in rationality and logic and justice. Our Quran is preserved till today and pleads the case of Prophets who were insulted and alleged in Torah and Bible for things which they did not say but were attributed to them. But among us as well there are differences and only those people will go to heaven who are just, rational and humans. 

Edited by Sindbad05

Hi Sindbad05

Jesus is indeed distant from Moses that  lived even before Judaism existed. But Jesus knew the Jewish Bible from which Cristianity developed. So the Jewish Bible is far from Moses, and is therefore not a reliable historcal source concerning Moses. There is no reliable historical source on Moses. There are better sources on Jesus, the most reliable are to be found in the Bible. For you however, the belief that the Quran is Gods perfect word, everything that contradicts the Quran is of course heresy or false. 

I do not believe that one has to be Christian or Muslim to enter heaven. Had it been so, then we could expect the Quran to warn against the Bible and the New testament to warn against Judaism. (Interesting is that in the Torah the idea of an afterlife in heaven or hell does not exist). It seems God accepts our holy scriptures as they are, with inevitable human errors. Each of them deliberately adapted to different cultures? Dont know, but the thought has occured to me.

Edited by andres

48 minutes ago, andres said:

Hi Sindbad05

Jesus is indeed distant from Moses that  lived even before Judaism existed. But Jesus knew the Jewish Bible from which Cristianity developed. So the Jewish Bible is far from Moses, and is therefore not a reliable historcal source concerning Moses. There is no reliable historical source on Moses. There are better sources on Jesus, the most reliable are to be found in the Bible. For you however, the belief that the Quran is Gods perfect word, everything that contradicts the Quran is of course heresy or false. 

I do not believe that one has to be Christian or Muslim to enter heaven. Had it been so, then we could expect the Quran to warn against the Bible and the New testament to warn against Judaism. (Interesting is that in the Torah the idea of an afterlife in heaven or hell does not exist). It seems God accepts our holy scriptures as they are, with inevitable human errors. Each of them deliberately adapted to different cultures? Dont know, but the thought has occured to me.

God has always differentiated between people in two ranks. Either he speaks about Believers or Speak about non-believers. In the time of Christianity, it also talked about believers and non-believers, in Torah, it also spoke about believers and non-believers and In Quran also He speaks of believers or non-believers. So, believers go to heaven and non-believers go to hell. But there is also a condition that means if non-believers did not knew anything and were ignorant then they will only account for what they knew and they will not be treated unjustly. 

As you said that Prophet Jesus a.s  knew Torah and also the earlier prophets knew earlier scripture, So, was Prophet Muhammad PBUHHP aware about all scriptures, These all prophets were gifted with miracles and one such miracle was that they were most knowledgeable than the people, otherwise, why would God designate them Prophet ? 

54 minutes ago, andres said:

Hi Sindbad05

God warns us to be aware of the wrongs in the Christian beliefs and wrongs in the Jewish beliefs. Read Quran please, it speaks about how Christians deviated from religion and criticizes them for considering Jesus as God and also criticizes Jews for not accepting Jesus and killing prophets. Bur Quran also emphasize that there are among them some good people and asks us to respect those some good people but denies what belief Christians and Jews hold.

1 hour ago, Sindbad05 said:

God warns us to be aware of the wrongs in the Christian beliefs and wrongs in the Jewish beliefs. Read Quran please, it speaks about how Christians deviated from religion and criticizes them for considering Jesus as God and also criticizes Jews for not accepting Jesus and killing prophets. Bur Quran also emphasize that there are among them some good people and asks us to respect those some good people but denies what belief Christians and Jews hold.

This thread actually asks for information about where in the Quran we can find a claim that the Bible is corrupted. I have read the Quran (only once the whole from start to end) but cannot recall any such claim. I know the Quran speaks against the belief that Mary is a Godess, but this is not a critic against the Bible. Critisising trinity is not either. The Qurans claim that Jesus was not killed on the cross does not match the Bible (and the few contemporary historians report) but no critisism is aimed specifically at the Bible. I believe the reason is that Muhammed never read the Bible. This would also explain the historical differences with the earlier Biblical Books. I do not know when I will read the Quran again, but when I do, I have got a feeling I will not discover any claim that the Bible have been corrupted. That is, if noone has pointed this out for me, or that such claim simply does not exist in the Quran.

12 minutes ago, andres said:

This thread actually asks for information about where in the Quran we can find a claim that the Bible is corrupted. I have read the Quran (only once the whole from start to end) but cannot recall any such claim. I know the Quran speaks against the belief that Mary is a Godess, but this is not a critic against the Bible. Critisising trinity is not either. The Qurans claim that Jesus was not killed on the cross does not match the Bible (and the few contemporary historians report) but no critisism is aimed specifically at the Bible. I believe the reason is that Muhammed never read the Bible. This would also explain the historical differences with the earlier Biblical Books. I do not know when I will read the Quran again, but when I do, I have got a feeling I will not discover any claim that the Bible have been corrupted. That is, if noone has pointed this out for me, or that such claim simply does not exist in the Quran.

I do not know why could not you find those verses, but I read many times and I often find verses that say: "Nor did the people of book make schism until came to them clear signs". And also speaks about those among the people of the book that included both "Christians" and "Jews" as inventing their own things and saying to people that it is from God. Let us say that we agree on the issue that Quran says that Jesus was a creation and not god for which many verses are found in Bible. And if it is not about fabricated verses which are found in Bible, then what it is about ?

Here are some verses from Quran

·        [2:75] Do you then hope that they would believe in you, and a party from among them indeed used to hear the Word of Allah, then altered it after they had understood it, and they know (this).

·        [Shakir 5:15] O followers of the Book! Indeed Our Messenger has come to you making clear to you much of what you concealed of the Book and passing over much; indeed, there has come to you light and a clear Book from Allah.

·        [6:21] And who is more unjust than he who forges a lie against Allah or (he who) gives the lie to His communications; surely the unjust will not be successful.

Hi Sindbad05

As I read 2:75 it does not say the word is changed. It says that some folks changed it after having heard and understood. This does not mean that they rewrote the Bible. The Torah has been the same as we know it since 500BC, and the gospels since the first century. Copying errors probably occured but nothing like that the originals matched the Quran. We have no guaranties that the Quran says exacltly the words that Muhammed heard either, but we can be very sure they did not match the Bible. 

11 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

I do not know why could not you find those verses, but I read many times and I often find verses that say: "Nor did the people of book make schism until came to them clear signs". And also speaks about those among the people of the book that included both "Christians" and "Jews" as inventing their own things and saying to people that it is from God. Let us say that we agree on the issue that Quran says that Jesus was a creation and not god for which many verses are found in Bible. And if it is not about fabricated verses which are found in Bible, then what it is about ?

Here are some verses from Quran

·        [2:75] Do you then hope that they would believe in you, and a party from among them indeed used to hear the Word of Allah, then altered it after they had understood it, and they know (this).

·        [Shakir 5:15] O followers of the Book! Indeed Our Messenger has come to you making clear to you much of what you concealed of the Book and passing over much; indeed, there has come to you light and a clear Book from Allah.

·        [6:21] And who is more unjust than he who forges a lie against Allah or (he who) gives the lie to His communications; surely the unjust will not be successful.

May I applaud @andres for his patience, If you want the "Jesus is God" argument, you are barking up the wrong tree. Best to go find a trinitarian. At least if you can drop that prejudice and you might find common ground.

Woe to those who write with their hand and say it's from God, for a miserable price. (slightly paraphrased)

I've heard that used against the Bible many times, as if it only applies to what them Jews did, of course Christians too. Wonder if it ever occurred to anyone it's been an ongoing thing and not about to stop. Everything anyone has ever written, or mentioned with the intent to make you believe they are telling you the God's honest truth falls into this category. Add ahadith. add rumours, sprinkle with prejudice, and watch the corruption ooze.

Another concept...Everything has been rewritten. everything. The Quran did not go from parts and pieces to laser printer. When the OT went from oral to written, we don't really know. How many times it was rewritten before the originals decayed, we don't know.

The history of the Quran is better known. We know about Urthman's compilation, the rememberers, the transmitters, and the many versions of the Quran. Some transmitters wrote more than one version. We know the Haffs and the Warsh versions were written in slightly different dialects, and have different separations in sentencing, and a different amount of Ayats in some Suras. I always sink a bit when Muslims declare there is not a dot of difference from the perfect original. The Warsh is full of dots the Haffs doesn't have.

Back then, If I had "past scriptures" and you wanted a copy, we'd go out, kill a deer, skin it, Stretch it, dry it, get the women to chew on the hide for a while, then we'd get to staining or burning each letter/symbol I had on mine onto that new skin to the best of our abilities so you would have the same. I might even make another one at the same time if my copy is old and worn. 4-5 months tops. 

11 hours ago, andres said:

Hi Sindbad05

As I read 2:75 it does not say the word is changed. It says that some folks changed it after having heard and understood. This does not mean that they rewrote the Bible. The Torah has been the same as we know it since 500BC, and the gospels since the first century. Copying errors probably occured but nothing like that the originals matched the Quran. We have no guaranties that the Quran says exacltly the words that Muhammed heard either, but we can be very sure they did not match the Bible. 

Quran did not changed, But Bible and Torah had and Quran explicitly implies towards them by calling out Christians not to call "Jesus as God" and calls out to Jews that alleged prophets for wrong character such as if you read about Prophet Lot, it is written that he committed incest (God forbid). And call Lady Mary as something horrible and women of ill-character. read bro before you say that Bible and Torah does not contain illogical and wrong things written in them as well. Besides, "Bible of Jesus" is not there, the bible you contain was compiled after it was lost and it was compiled by the fourth of fifth generation of the Christians and not the first generation who may have argued about its authenticity. While as if you see Islamic history, Quran was compiled by those who saw the Prophet PBUHHP and there were all the people who have read it and found it as credible and allowed us to read from it. Among them were people from the family of Prophet PBUHHP too. So, Quran is free from errors but Bible and Torah are not.

1 hour ago, Son of Placid said:

May I applaud @andres for his patience, If you want the "Jesus is God" argument, you are barking up the wrong tree. Best to go find a trinitarian. At least if you can drop that prejudice and you might find common ground.

Woe to those who write with their hand and say it's from God, for a miserable price. (slightly paraphrased)

I've heard that used against the Bible many times, as if it only applies to what them Jews did, of course Christians too. Wonder if it ever occurred to anyone it's been an ongoing thing and not about to stop. Everything anyone has ever written, or mentioned with the intent to make you believe they are telling you the God's honest truth falls into this category. Add ahadith. add rumours, sprinkle with prejudice, and watch the corruption ooze.

Another concept...Everything has been rewritten. everything. The Quran did not go from parts and pieces to laser printer. When the OT went from oral to written, we don't really know. How many times it was rewritten before the originals decayed, we don't know.

The history of the Quran is better known. We know about Urthman's compilation, the rememberers, the transmitters, and the many versions of the Quran. Some transmitters wrote more than one version. We know the Haffs and the Warsh versions were written in slightly different dialects, and have different separations in sentencing, and a different amount of Ayats in some Suras. I always sink a bit when Muslims declare there is not a dot of difference from the perfect original. The Warsh is full of dots the Haffs doesn't have.

Back then, If I had "past scriptures" and you wanted a copy, we'd go out, kill a deer, skin it, Stretch it, dry it, get the women to chew on the hide for a while, then we'd get to staining or burning each letter/symbol I had on mine onto that new skin to the best of our abilities so you would have the same. I might even make another one at the same time if my copy is old and worn. 4-5 months tops. 

You are speaking about other version of Quran bro, but have you heard about the authentic Hadith which is written and acknowledge by both major sects such as Shia and Sunni, it was written that Prophet PBUHHP said: "I am leaving behind you too things, one is Quran and second is my Ahle bait (my family). Hold fast unto them for they will get along till they meet me at the river of Kauther in heaven". The Quran which was compiled by Uthman, although was not arranged in the order of revelation as Imam Ali a.s compiled Quran. But Imam Ali a.s and all the family members encouraged us to read from the Uthmanic compiled Quran for the Quran which Imam Ali a.s compiled was not allowed to be published due to political reasons. And the one who has compiled the Quran in the original sequence of revelation (Imam Ali a.s), did not stop us to read the Uthmanic version of Quran. Other versions of Quran has no importance as Our Prophet PBUHHP asked us to ask 12 Imams and not other because these 12 Imams were from the family and vicegerents. We do not care what other people say about other versions. To 12 Imams, Uthmanic version has no problem and they did not mention any other version except this version. 

Edited by Sindbad05

1 hour ago, Sindbad05 said:

To 12 Imams, Uthmanic version has no problem and they did not mention any other version except this version. 

Did any of our Imams speak of Uthman's version by name?

I have not heard of any such account but hopefully you will kindly expand upon it.

I also vaguely remember one of Ammar  Nakhshwani's lectures in which he said that the fact that Uthman had ordered the compilation is only one several versions of events.

According to the others, it was compiled in the time of 

• the Prophet himself
  • caliph Abu Bakr
  • caliph Umar.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, baqar said:

Did any of our Imams speak of Uthman's version by name?

I have not heard of any such account but hopefully you will kindly expand upon it.

I also vaguely remember one of Ammar  Nakhshwani's lectures in which he said that the fact that Uthman had ordered the compilation is only one several versions of events.

According to the others, it was compiled in the time of 

• the Prophet himself
  • caliph Abu Bakr
  • caliph Umar.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Yes, sure why not brother, we are here to correct each other. Tell me have not you heard that Our holy Imams have asked us to recite specific chapters for the purposes of Worship ? So, where from you recite those ? I think there was only one visible version available to the people of the old times whom Imams suggested to recite specific Surahs and they have in their homes this copy which is present today. Secondly, there are various hadiths, I have read in which Imam implied us to read from this available resources and you can find those hadith online on net. If you require references please refer to the books of Worships such as "Tuhfatul Awam" in which different worships are mentioned which includes recitation of chapters from Quran. 

I do not know if Ammar Nakhswani has said such like that it is not in my information and if you have heard this please provide a reference.

47 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

I do not know if Ammar Nakhswani has said such like that it is not in my information and if you have heard this please provide a reference.

If you read my post, I said I "vaguely remember".

In other words, I don't have the reference.

Sorry!    

4 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

We know the Haffs and the Warsh versions were written in slightly different dialects

They are not different dialects. They are different ways of writing.

Let me give you an example.

In English, if you don't dot the "i" or the "j", it would still be correct and understandable.

It is not exactly the same but the difference between Harsh and Warsh  is not meaningful. 

1 hour ago, baqar said:

If you read my post, I said I "vaguely remember".

In other words, I don't have the reference.

Sorry!    

They are not different dialects. They are different ways of writing.

Let me give you an example.

In English, if you don't dot the "i" or the "j", it would still be correct and understandable.

It is not exactly the same but the difference between Harsh and Warsh  is not meaningful. 

Yeah but our discussion for other versions was in the context of versions with different verses that may contradict each other. 

I believe that we both do not have any difference here, and I agree that Quran can be written in many other writings such as there were copies of Quran in "Kufi alphabets". So, I believe we call it "copies of Quran in different languages" rather than saying "different versions of Quran".

@andres

I mentioned lady Mary's name with reference to what jews believe and it is not in Torah as I believe but there is in Torah many fabrications that insult Prophet such as Prophet Lot was alleged for incest and there are many other allegations about Prophets as well. 

Edited by Sindbad05

4 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

Quran did not changed, But Bible and Torah had and Quran explicitly implies towards them by calling out Christians not to call "Jesus as God" and calls out to Jews that alleged prophets for wrong character such as if you read about Prophet Lot, it is written that he committed incest (God forbid). And call Lady Mary as something horrible and women of ill-character. read bro before you say that Bible and Torah does not contain illogical and wrong things written in them as well. Besides, "Bible of Jesus" is not there, the bible you contain was compiled after it was lost and it was compiled by the fourth of fifth generation of the Christians and not the first generation who may have argued about its authenticity. While as if you see Islamic history, Quran was compiled by those who saw the Prophet PBUHHP and there were all the people who have read it and found it as credible and allowed us to read from it. Among them were people from the family of Prophet PBUHHP too. So, Quran is free from errors but Bible and Torah are not.

It is true that the Quran was compiled closer to Muhammed than the Gospels were to Jesus. Not four or five generations thou, rather some 40 years. It is reasonable to suspect that this span of years mean they are not as perfect as if they had been written by eyewitnesses 4 months after the resurection. When we compare the Gospels we also see some differences. The Quran can not in the same way be compared with other Islamic revelations, but still I am astonished by the claim that every word that Muhammed heard has been preserved. Can we be certain that Gabriel was real? Can we be certain that Muhammed remembered it perfect? Can we be certain that the persons trusted to compile the Quran found all revelations, and no false ones were included? I say, of course not. And why were Qurans in other dialects made and then destroied? I am certain the message is as perfect as can be under the circumstances given. This goes for both the Quran and the Bible, and I can give you that tge circumstances for the Quran were better. Claiming that the Gospels message originally was the same as the Qurans is however not credible at all. Islam is Islam, and it started with Muhammeds revelations. 

17 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

@andres

I mentioned lady Mary's name with reference to what jews believe and it is not in Torah as I believe but there is in Torah many fabrications that insult Prophet such as Prophet Lot was alleged for incest and there are many other allegations about Prophets as well. 

Prophets in the Bible are not perfect. The idea of perfect prophets came with Islam.

23 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

Yeah but our discussion for other versions was in the context of versions with different verses that may contradict each other. 

I believe that we both do not have any difference here, and I agree that Quran can be written in many other writings such as there were copies of Quran in "Kufi alphabets". So, I believe we call it "copies of Quran in different languages" rather than saying "different versions of Quran".

The Christian church was in its infancy not at all in controll of the population like Islam was, so a developement of something like the gnostic gospels did not happen. Still the Islamic rulers burned Qurans that they regarded unperfect. Not much escaped, but the Sanaa Quran is interesting. There are variations in text, thou only a small part is said to change the meaning. Wikipedia tells its story.

33 minutes ago, andres said:

The Christian church was in its infancy not at all in controll of the population like Islam was, so a developement of something like the gnostic gospels did not happen. Still the Islamic rulers burned Qurans that they regarded unperfect. Not much escaped, but the Sanaa Quran is interesting. There are variations in text, thou only a small part is said to change the meaning. Wikipedia tells its story.

Well, Sanaa verses has not importance because Quran which we possess today was confirmed by all the persons including those who were in family. So, we have real communication with us. I beg to differ on the ground regarding what fabrications are found about Prophets in Bible. Sometimes, fabrications say that Prophet was like Jesus and sometimes, it says they were not perfect. I believe that God choose those as the Prophets who are perfect and best of all the creation. This is the main reason for which they were Prophet. Do you know that before even the church was founded there were actual Bible known as "Bible of Jesus" that was lost and it was due to this that after that Bible was lost, the fourth generation scholars were summoned to help complete the Bible and "Luke", "Mathews", "John" and "Mark" Gospel were deemed as near to the teachings of "Bible of Jesus" even though there are contradictions among them and "many other accounts" were disregarded for including into Bible. 

I meant to say that what you possess today is not actual "Bible of Jesus" this is what history tells us and if you read about Quran, there is no such thing proved in history which says that it was disregarded by the family of Prophet because they were the authority on the behalf of Prophet PBUHHP.