sidnaq

How does one teach themselves.

How does one teach themselves calculus or trigonometry, especially back in the days, where there were no tutorials or youtube videos or tv,s say for example the 1930 , and also by teaching oneself i mean not going to a teacher.

56 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

How does one teach themselves calculus or trigonometry, especially back in the days, where there were no tutorials or youtube videos or tv,s say for example the 1930 , and also by teaching oneself i mean not going to a teacher.

there used to be books or they travel to different lands seeking out the teachers they need. an accessible story which can portray this is Ibn Sina's.

44 minutes ago, HayderM said:

there used to be books or they travel to different lands seeking out the teachers they need. an accessible story which can portray this is Ibn Sina's.

but i mean without any teachers, self taught

Back then, we had both planer trig and solid trig.

ln "right" planer trig, you just memorize a few things. Like:

opposite over adjacent = tangent

opposite over hypotenuse = sine

etc.

Usually we had geometry before this so envisioning the problems were easy.

Then how to use trig tables --we already had 6 weeks + of log in 8th Grade and how to use those tables and interpolation (--which as often or not were easier with fractions)

We also had to draw everything --by hand.

Calculators were a generation away. People really good at this stuff were called "Brainiacs" after Eniac.

At this level, it was pointless to use a slide rule.

7 hours ago, sidnaq said:

I only responsible to answer about what i know.

My answer is i usually do solve the math/trigono/goniometry by going through the problems in books during my high school.

Hahaha, sometime in goniometry in order to prove a math statement, my answer is just like rounding not proving anything but return to original math statement. That is all i remember.

Anyway, learning by doing and then think above the box of what you have been doin is what i think of to answer your question.