Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

This can easily be understood as never happening, but can also be seen as the Quran not adding to what's already been written previous.

Apart from that, the Quran was never intended to be a book of history and refers to a historical account only it deems necessary. to make its point.

43 minutes ago, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 40 Surah Gafir verse 78:

O Prophet, We have sent many Messengers before you. Of them there are some whose stories We have related to you, and of others We have not related.

Indeed true. 

The number is not relevant.

6 hours ago, andres said:

Where is the Arab history? Not in the Quran. 

Correct. As I just said, the Quran was never intended to be a book of history.

6 hours ago, andres said:

And those 25 belong to the Jewish-Israelitic culture, except for Mohammed, who is Arab. 

Well, my friend, when I was younger and I knew very little about evolution, I used to wonder how 124,000 prophets could be squeezed into 10,000 years which used to be the common view for Adam's arrival on our planet.

But if human history can be traced to an earlier time, as is now the case after Darwin, the number seems to fit in more easily.

As for the point why only Biblical prophets are mentioned in the Quran, well the question had occurred to me as well. I had often thought why Confucius and Tao and Krishna and the Buddha are not mentioned, assuming that they were prophets.

But the question does not seem to have piqued the Prophet's audience. They did not know about those men and their teachings. So how could they ask that question? Whatever the reason, I believe there is no record of the Prophet ever addressing the issue.

However, Islam came down in a region where the predominant scripture was the Bible. If the Quran had attempted to talk about the prophets and scriptures of India and China and Peru and Alaska and Lapland and Bulgaria and Nigeria, they may have thought that it was trying to import and impose a foreign set of unfamiliar and unwanted beliefs upon the people. They may have said that it was trying to build on stories that are irrelevant to them and was using their ignorance to fool them and that would have set the clock back for Islam. It would have been a serious point of contention and caused a lot of tension and confusion among the people and more problems for the fledgling faith.

The Quran therefore sticks to the stories of prophets that the people were familiar with.

Edited by baqar
typos

Hi Baqar

Yes there were both Christians and Jews living in the Arabian peninsula in the 7th century. But the society was pagan Arab. Muhammed reformed a polytheistic society into monotheistic, like the Israelites had done 1.500 years earlier. I agree the Quran is not a history Book like the Bible, but still there are some stories, like Joseph in Egypt. Israelite stories. Of course, the Quran recognises the same God as the Jews worshipped. The Bible was the only scripture dedicated to him (Jahwe) and the Qurans mission was not to tell about the old semitic pagan Gods. (The Bible does, but thats another subject). 

We may differ on how to define a prophet. But have there been prophets in America, Australia and Lappland, they certainly did not preach the message of the Quran or the Bible. Neither did Buddah or Krishna. Humans have existed for more than 100.000 years so depending on the definition of who is a prophet, 124.000 of them would be possible. None of them would have a message identical to that of Muhammed thou.

Maybe God has given different messages adapted to the very different societies on our globe?

Hi again Baqar

Assume you are right. Adam was created 10.000 years ago, and there has now been 124.000 prophets worldwide. In average 12,4 prophets are born every year. If they are active averagely 20 years, there would be 249 prophets alive today. Where are they?

There is no evidence that Adam was born 10,000 years ago. He could have been born 1 million years ago. 

Remember what I said,:  "10,000 years used to be the common view for Adam's arrival on our planet."

But it doesn't have to be.

34 minutes ago, baqar said:

There is no evidence that Adam was born 10,000 years ago. He could have been born 1 million years ago. 

Remember what I said,:  "10,000 years used to be the common view for Adam's arrival on our planet."

But it doesn't have to be.

Of course.  I agree. Still the number of  successful prophets after Muhammed are very few. 

In Islamic belief, there is no prophet to come after Prophet Muhammad.

Both Shias and Sunnis believe in successors of the Prophet to guide Muslims, not prophets.

In Sunni belief, the first such person was the caliph Abu Bakr.

In Shia  belief, it was Imam Ali. 

OK.

Mormons believe Smith was a prophet, he came after Muhammed. Many religions have got a prophet of their own. Non-muslims like me believe Muhammed was the only Islamic prophet. In our Nordic countries we never had a prophet. I also believe there were no Mormonism before Smith, no Christianity before Jesus, no Islam before Muhammed and no Judaism before the first milennium BC. Before that all humanity worshipped many Gods.

Edited by andres

10 hours ago, andres said:

OK.

Mormons believe Smith was a prophet, he came after Muhammed. Many religions have got a prophet of their own. Non-muslims like me believe Muhammed was the only Islamic prophet. In our Nordic countries we never had a prophet. I also believe there were no Mormonism before Smith, no Christianity before Jesus, no Islam before Muhammed and no Judaism before the first milennium BC. Before that all humanity worshipped many Gods.

All so confusing, glad it's not up to me. 

One of the questions I ask atheists is, "How is it atheism only exists in the civilized world?"

It sounds like a simple answer...because we're civilized...but then it strikes them that the uncivilized world hasn't had civilized religion, yet they all know there's a higher power. They all believe in something. 

Paganism seems to have a gory side to it. Many did sacrifices, animal, human, precious stones, whatever. Doesn't mean they were polytheists, because they normally point to one great spirit in the sky, and many spirits, good and evil around them, in the case of a fellow named Otto Koning, a missionary who took on some rough terrain in Papua New Guinea,  noted how superstition and symbolic traditions backed up by a spiritual evil ran their lives, and how his interference shaped his belief on what's really real and what's not . At the same time, on the other side of the world, the Mayan beliefs are eerily similar. 

There is mention in the OT that many prophets were slain by the hands of those they went to save. There are many stories of missionaries ending up in a stew pot. It's also possible that it takes 124,000 prophets just to get a few to survive. 

22 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

It's also possible that it takes 124,000 prophets just to get a few to survive. 

Indeed so.

Imagine you are living in an older time when communication was extremely poor. I can imagine the day when it would take a number of weeks to travel from Montreal to Quebec, and several months to Mexico or Anchorage, assuming that one could live through the vagaries of the weather.

In a world of such poor communications, I wouldn't be surprised if there were anywhere from one to two thousand prophets concurrently preaching to their individual villages around the world. And that being the case, it is not difficult to come up the figure of 124,000 envisaged by Islam.

The point that those prophets do not seem to have left much of a trace is also understandable. As the scriptures might agree, except for a handful, they were ALL harassed and MANY were killed. That being the case, it is obvious that the people who harassed or killed them were hell bent to destroy whatever they left behind.

And they seem to have succeeded.