Anonymous

Burning questions

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

What is your question?

Okay.

I don't get why if we divide a number by zero the answer is infinity or undefined and not the standard zero?

Genuine question.

40 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Okay.

I don't get why if we divide a number by zero the answer is infinity or undefined and not the standard zero?

Genuine question.

In term of pure math, zero is nothing. (Once, i ask to my Japanesse friend about what 1/0, his answer was 'impossible'. Perhaps until now i come to realize pure math acknowledge the 'absolute existence' cannot be divided by 'relative/contingent existence').

In term of applied math, zero is the lowest number that can not be imagined. Hence, only in applied math/engineering, 1/0 is infinity which is also unimaginable. (Once, my proffessor asking me what is logarithmic of 0, i stun and can not think, and he says about 0 is 1/infinity. Perhaps until now i come to realize that engineering is the branch of positivism/empiricism.).

My question :

If 2/3 whcih is 0,66666666... is considered as irrational number, then is 1/0 = infinity considered irrational number ? or is impossibility considered irrational too ?

2 hours ago, myouvial said:

In term of pure math, zero is nothing. (Once, i ask to my Japanesse friend about what 1/0, his answer was 'impossible'. Perhaps until now i come to realize pure math acknowledge the 'absolute existence' cannot be divided by 'relative/contingent existence').

In term of applied math, zero is the lowest number that can not be imagined. Hence, only in applied math/engineering, 1/0 is infinity which is also unimaginable. (Once, my proffessor asking me what is logarithmic of 0, i stun and can not think, and he says about 0 is 1/infinity. Perhaps until now i come to realize that engineering is the branch of positivism/empiricism.).

My question :

If 2/3 whcih is 0,66666666... is considered as irrational number, then is 1/0 = infinity considered irrational number ? or is impossibility considered irrational too ?

I do not think, it is irrational number, because 0 is neither an even nor an odd number, if one would have said, it is even, it would have been rational and if one had believed it as irrational, one would have called it irrational. No one among mathematicians has every considered is even or odd and is rather called as origin in Cartesian coordinate system and and Real number.

I do not have any question right now. But I will ask, when I will have one. 

Why is the speed of light 186k mi/sec? Why not a bit faster or slower?

Also, does anyone believe the people who somehow manage to derive the speed of light from the Quran?

My question..

What should I ask here in this thread as my question? 

Plz answer me as quickly as possible 

And a request plz give a valid reason with the question to be asked byme ;)

59 minutes ago, Pangea said:

Why is the speed of light 186k mi/sec? Why not a bit faster or slower?

Also, does anyone believe the people who somehow manage to derive the speed of light from the Quran?

I also wonder how physicist took the number while i do not know the basis for measuring it.

My question:

Is this Islamic or old philosophist/ulama culture/way about discussion about anything ?

It seems fun and arising awareness and intelligent.

This method may be good for discussing sensitive topic, such as shia sunni.

Other method from my origin culture is replying poem to each other.

6 minutes ago, Pearl3112 said:

My question..

What should I ask here in this thread as my question? 

Plz answer me as quickly as possible 

And a request plz give a valid reason with the question to be asked byme ;)

You did not reply any, so you cannot ask any question. haha

4 hours ago, Sindbad05 said:

I do not think, it is irrational number, because 0 is neither an even nor an odd number, if one would have said, it is even, it would have been rational and if one had believed it as irrational, one would have called it irrational. No one among mathematicians has every considered is even or odd and is rather called as origin in Cartesian coordinate system and and Real number.

I do not have any question right now. But I will ask, when I will have one. 

My question is about infinity not 0, is infinity an irrational number ?

1 minute ago, myouvial said:

Infinity is essentially undefined or unknown. I don't know whether it can be called an irrational number. I doubt it.

Another reason of 0/0 as undefined is that when you add it to odd, it results in odd and when you add it to even. It results even. So, if adding it with even number had resulted in odd, we could have taken it as odd number and if adding it with odd number it would have resulted in odd number we could have considered it as even. But since it is unknown as regards it's being even or odd. Therefore, we take it's division as undefined. 

6 minutes ago, myouvial said:

Your answer depends upon nature of the elements.  If you can say that denominator is even or odd, you could say that it is rational or irrational.  That's what I tried to tell you.

3 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Infinity is essentially undefined or unknown. I don't know whether it can be called an irrational number. I doubt it.

Yea, i also in the brim of knowledge. I think we need to know the exact definition of rational. One of the meaning of rational is can be divided (divisible). Other meaning of rational is logical. We need to explore more as english is my 2nd language.

2 minutes ago, Sindbad05 said:

Your answer depends upon nature of the elements.  If you can say that denominator is even or odd, you could say that it is rational or irrational.  That's what I tried to tell you.

Ok, i got your point. Well, it is becoming complicated if i ask whether the inifiniy is even or odd number ?

7 hours ago, myouvial said:

In term of pure math, zero is nothing. (Once, i ask to my Japanesse friend about what 1/0, his answer was 'impossible'. Perhaps until........

You mean his answer was:

impossibru-meme.png

41 minutes ago, myouvial said:

Ok, i got your point. Well, it is becoming complicated if i ask whether the inifiniy is even or odd number ?

Hmmmm, interesting question again. As it is known that if you add value of zero, it does not affect the result to which it is added, so it becomes impossible to answer what infinity it would result into because its character is unique and not determined as if it is even or odd. If it could be called as even, the infinity would be rational as 1/2=0.5. If it is considered as odd you, infinity would be rational. But since we cannot tell it, so we say it is impossible to tell.

@Marbles @all the rest of you who apparently suck at maths.

Here is a simple explanation. 

Imagine you have a round cake. Imagine you divide it by 2. Each half would be ½ the size of the whole. Imagine you divide it by 10, each part would be 1/10th of the size of the whole.

What this means is, whatever number you divide something by, the “bits” will all be the size each slice will be cut into.

If you divide something by 2, you will fit 2 pieces together to make the whole. If you divide by 10, you will fit 10 pieces together to make the whole.

Now imagine you divided the cake, so each “slice” was exactly 0 in width. You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

This is why dividing by zero is always infinity

27 minutes ago, starlight said:

Now imagine you divided the cake, so each “slice” was exactly 0 in width.  You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

God, it makes no sense to me.

Look, if each slice is 0 in width the total slices needed to put the cake together is also 0, because there are no slices to put together. So 0+0+0+0+0+0 ad inifnitum is zero not x ad infinitum.

This is why a more logical answer should be zero?

To my mind infinity makes sense when there's some bit to work with, any amount however tiny it may be. Eg 2.233333333 ad infinitum or 0.0034444444 ad infinitum. If we have zero to begin with then any attempt to divide would (should) result in another zero, ie. not in an unknown value, but a value that doesn't even exist.

1 hour ago, starlight said:

You would need to fit infinity slices together to make the whole.

The whole cake? or a whole nothing? or the 'absence' of the whole cake? :einstein:

@Marbles 

The theory of infinity is that if you were to draw a graph with a Y and an X axis, and plot a line where the value of the Y coordinate equals 1/X, so for example if you go across to x coordinate 5, the value of the y coordinate would be 1/5, if you went across to where x = 14, y would equal 1/14 and so on. If you were to plot that graph, it would look similar to:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=y+%3D+1/x+graph

even if you plot an X value of a hundred million billion trillion grazillion jillion bulbillion, the value of the Y would never equal zero.

Let’s say this graph went all the way across from 0 to infinity. At the plot point where x = infinity, the y value would touch the x axis

So when x = infinity, y = 0.

What this means is, when you divide by zero, the answer is infinity.

Easier now? :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, saas said:

The whole cake? or a whole nothing? or the 'absence' of the whole cake? :einstein:

Look

12÷3=4

When we divide by 3 what we are essentially asking is that how many times 3 can go in a number? The answer here is 4.

Similarly,  how many times can 6 go in a number(12)

12 ÷6=2 The answer is 2. 

Now how many times can zero go in a number(12)? The answer is infinite times.