Iman

Travel to the USA (Hawaii) as visible Muslims

Salam all,

I have a question about travel to the US.. We're planning a trip to Hawaii in September. We were so excited and really looking forward to it , but recent politics has me feeling a little anxious.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea in terms of vibe / sentiment etc towards Muslims there, even as travellers/tourists.

I've also just realised that we'll be there Sept 11.

Trust in Allah (swt) and go for it.. or bad idea?

Thanks in advance

I've never been to Hawaii. Different places have very different culture. I'd pay close attention to the rapidly changing visa requirements, at minimum. It would be a shame to buy tickets, make reservations, then not be allowed to enter the country.

4 hours ago, Iman said:

Salam all,

I have a question about travel to the US.. We're planning a trip to Hawaii in September. We were so excited and really looking forward to it , but recent politics has me feeling a little anxious.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea in terms of vibe / sentiment etc towards Muslims there, even as travellers/tourists.

I've also just realised that we'll be there Sept 11.

Trust in Allah (swt) and go for it.. or bad idea?

Thanks in advance

Hawaii is alright. You should be fine. Honolulu has a high crime rate so stay away from shady places and stick to main tourist attraction.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/hi/honolulu/crime/

9 hours ago, Iman said:

Salam, Sister. There will probably be a lot of security when you board in Australia to come to the US. I have never been to Hawaii, but last November, as an American citizen, I flew from the East Coast of the US to a midwestern city in another state. My personal items were put in a plastic bin to go through the x-ray machine. I was pulled out of the security line "at random" but I'm sure it was not at random because I have a last name that looks Iranian (by marriage) and I was wearing a headscarf. I went through scrutiny and was forced to pat down my headscarf with my hands and then my hands were swabbed. I had to stand there waiting with my feet spread apart to see if the hand swab came out clean, while my purse and cell phone (in the plastic bin) were swabbed. After a while I was told 'You can go.' If you don't want your cell phone to be swabbed with some unknown substance, put it inside your purse before it goes through the x-ray.

Of course they look at your name on your ticket and on your passport. This is the first step. If your name is Islamic you will get extra scrutiny. Males and females should avoid wearing an ankle length dress. Let's face it, why make yourself look like an extremist? Wear slacks and a long top. Women can wear a headscarf but don't put pins in your scarf. Don't carry anything with Arabic language on it in your bag. If they search your bag, obviously the Arabic language will bring more suspicion toward you. If you are detained because they are not sure about you, you might miss your flight.

If you get on the plane in your country, you will probably be allowed to enter the US. If you are not willing to go through scrutiny and humiliation, I would say take your tourist money to some other country that will treat you better. I'm sure there are tropical countries in Asia that are glad to see Muslims visit them. 

Hawaii is a very liberal, laid back tourist place. My sister, who is muhajibah, went last year. No issues. If you're an Australian citizen, you shouldn't have any problems at the border. If you're status is something other than citizen, I would wait until things settle down before you make your decision. 

On 1/30/2017 at 6:05 AM, Iman said:

For now would like peoples experiences and thoughts, but thanks, if we really are at crossroads we might do that.

My brother recently came back from Hawaii. He travels a lot and never faced any issues at airports or when he's crossing internal borders. This time he was flying domestically and was stopped by airport security both to and from Hawaii and both times he wasn't let go until like 10 minutes before his flight. Both times they asked him very rigorous questions for over an hour. He's 20, has a common Muslim name, was mistaken to be Arab, and was traveling alone... It could have been a coincidence he got stopped, or it could have been related to the recent "Muslim" ban imposed in the US. I've had several other friends get stopped at airports as well. I really hope this thing calms down soon.

Other than that, he had a good time at Hawaii. Said it looked very similar to Los Angeles. He ended up renting a car to get around instead of taking buses as their timings were very limited. Cost of living is very high as well. He was in Honolulu where there were mostly tourists from all over the world and a few locals who were also very friendly.  Be prepared however and plan out where you want to go beforehand as there are certain areas with high crime. 

Edited by aliyah21

Hawaii wants your tourist money! 

U.S. District Court Judge Derrick K. Watson has issued a nationwide temporary restraining order, preventing President Trump's revised travel ban from taking effect at midnight Wednesday. Trump's executive order would have temporarily halted the U.S. refugee program and travel from six Muslim-majority countries.

Trump Travel Ban Blocked Nationwide By Federal Judge In Hawaii

Thanks for your replies.. And @hameedeh that is really helpful. We still haven't completely committed as we are wary, but that just might sway us! Inshallah khair