Haydar Husayn

Liberal 'Christians' have lost their minds

Rate this topic

Top Divinity Schools: Use Gender-Neutral Language to Refer to God

The divinity schools at Duke and Vanderbilt Universities have instructed their professors to start using more “inclusive” language when referring to God because the masculine pronouns “have served as a cornerstone of the patriarchy.”

For example: This year’s divinity course catalogue at Vanderbilt tells professors to give “consistent attention to the use of inclusive language, especially in relation to the Divine,” because the school “commits continuously and explicitly to include gender as an analyzed category and to mitigate sexism.”

“It is up to the individual professor’s interpretation for their classes and is suggestive rather than mandatory,” the associate dean for academic affairs at Vanderbilt’s divinity school, Melissa Snarr, said in an e-mail to Heat Street.

Now, that may sound fair, but in many cases, it’s really not up to the professor. For example, if we are talking about the Christian God, every single reference to Him in the Bible uses a masculine pronoun . . . which kind of gives you the vibe that Christians have decided that their god is a dude. The fact is, teaching anything else would be giving inaccurate information — which is what makes Duke’s particular guidelines even more absurd.

According to Heat Street, Duke’s particular divinity school is “geared toward people already working in the Methodist church, taking supplemental weekend or summer classes.” Yes, “Methodist,” as in the Christian religion that has already completely, officially, 100 percent decided that their God is a man. And yet, Duke’s guidelines suggest avoiding gender specific pronouns when discussing Him and suggest using “God” and “Godself” instead.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/443878/top-divinity-schools-use-gender-neutral-language-refer-god

I guess Jesus should be criticised for not using gender-neutral language, and even reinforcing the patriarchy by calling God 'Father', and himself the 'Son'.

To be fair, don't we muslims use the word 'Allah' which is genderless?

We never say 'the father', and 'Allah' is better than 'God' precisely because it captures the essence of being genderless.

Nevertheless, you're right, this is ridiculous because of the intention behind it. They aren't trying to correct aqeedah, their doing it for a pretty ludicrous reason here.

Historically it is not correct to call God "she". The early semites had both female and male gods. The chief god named El had a wife called Ashera. They are both mentioned in the Bible. The Bible say El also had the name Jahwe. Jahwe was male. But has God got a human gender? I dont think so. Still I will keep saying "He"

6 minutes ago, uponthesunnah said:

To be fair, don't we muslims use the word 'Allah' which is genderless?

We never say 'the father', and 'Allah' is better than 'God' precisely because it captures the essence of being genderless.

Nevertheless, you're right, this is ridiculous because of the intention behind it. They aren't trying to correct aqeedah, their doing it for a pretty ludicrous reason here.

The Qur'an uses male pronouns to refer to Allah, which presumably feminists of this type would find unacceptable.

I'm assuming by "liberal christian" you mean those who have twisted the truth until it allows certain sins to be okay, and keeps everybody comfy and going to heaven. 

Don't tell the feminists about female gods because they were still under male gods, and that's not what the feminists want. Could cause another angry woman's march.

1 hour ago, Son of Placid said:

I'm assuming by "liberal christian" you mean those who have twisted the truth until it allows certain sins to be okay, and keeps everybody comfy and going to heaven. 

Like the new craze with LGBTIQAPD. 

Wonder what that IQAPD stands for? 

More insanity from these people. You wonder why they even bother still trying to claim to be Christians? Maybe they enjoy ridiculing the religion they claim to profess?

A leading theological college that trains priests for the Church of England has apologised after it hosted a service to mark LGBT history month that referred to God as “the Duchess”.

Student priests at Westcott House in Cambridge organised the evensong service on Tuesday in the college chapel. Advertised as a “Polari evening prayer in anticipation of LGBT+ history month”, it was described as a “liturgical experiment”. Polari is slang used by some gay people.

A prayer referred to the “Fantabulosa fairy” and ended: “Praise ye the Duchess. The Duchess’s name be praised.” Psalm 19 was reworded to refer to “O Duchess, my butchness”.

The service was “an attempt at queering the liturgy of evening prayer, locating the queer within the compass of faith, and recovering for the Christian tradition a sense of its own intrinsically subversive jouissance,” said a printed explanation.

The organisers said that just as Jesus welcomed the outcast, “Today we might follow in the footsteps of his daring, boldly and outrageously welcoming the Queer (both human and divine) in a way never before attempted.”

The college principal, the Rev Canon Chris Chivers, said the service was “hugely regrettable”. It used “a form of liturgy which was not an authorised act of worship in line with the college’s procedures,” he said. “I fully recognise that the contents of the service are at variance with the doctrine and teaching of the Church of England, and that is hugely regrettable.”

The service had caused some members of the college “considerable upset and disquiet”. Chivers said he had spoken to the organisers and was “tightening the internal mechanisms of the house to ensure this never happens again”. The college hoped “to make a creative contribution to setting a different tone for the debate on human sexuality in the church. But this was not it,” he said.

Established in 1881, Westcott House says its mission is to “provide the foundation for a life of public ministry through the rigorous integration of spiritual and personal development, theological learning, and ministerial and practical experience”.

Last week, the C of E bishops alarmed conservative evangelicals within its ranks by saying that traditional doctrine on marriage should be interpreted to provide “maximum freedom” for gay and lesbian people.

Reform, a conservative evangelical group within the C of E, said that by recommending maximum freedom bishops had “ensured that theological incoherence and hypocrisy will prevail for the foreseeable future”.

Arun Arora, the C of E’s director of communications, said: “The principal of Westcott House has issued a statement where he says the service was ‘hugely regrettable’ and that ‘theological colleges are places of experiment and inquiry where people do make mistakes’. We would agree with both of those sentiments. The church should be a place which develops both risk-taking for the gospel and a no-blame culture.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/03/church-of-england-college-apologises-students-queer-evening-prayer

A gay activist group called the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, has produced a version of the Bible in Polari, in which God is ‘Gloria’; the Lord is turned into “the Duchess”; the Holy Spirit becomes “Fantabulosa Fairy”; and Jesus is feminised to “Josie” and referred to as she. Psalm 19 was reworded to refer to “O Duchess, my butchness”.

At Tuesday’s service, much to the horror of many of the devout worshippers, they were invited to respond to the line: “O Gloria make speed to save us,” with the words “O Duchess make haste to help us.”

[...]

“This is horrific. As a former Westcott ordinand, I’m appalled,” said The Reverend Tom Lilley on Twitter. The Reverend Andrew Symes, executive secretary of the conservative group Anglican Mainstream, said that the service “brings the Church into disrepute”.

He demanded that Westcott House issue a public apology. But Canon Simon Butler, an openly gay member of the Archbishops’ Council, said that while the Polari service was ill advised it could prove a useful “source of learning”.

He suggested the choice of liturgy may have been “an inappropriate way of letting off some steam”.

Ordinands, he added, “often do foolish things, but if it leads to a deeper engagement with things – I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do, [but theological college] is a relatively safe place to make foolish errors.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/leading-cambridge-university-theological-college-apologises/

It's amazing that the criticisms of these grossly deviant acts are so mild.

On 1/30/2017 at 0:48 PM, baqar said:

Like the new craze with LGBTIQAPD. 

Wonder what that IQAPD stands for? 

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, Polysexual, Demisexual.

I am ashamed that I know this.

Intersex: someone that is neither male nor female

Polysexual: attracted to many genders, not just the two real ones

Demisexual: someone half-way between sexual and asexual

I feel like this is starting to get out of hand, in my humble opinion. First they told us that gays and lesbians were essentially the same as us, just having different preferences. And we accepted. Then they told us that transsexuals were just like us except born in the wrong gender. And we accepted. Now they want us to believe there are more than 2 genders and more than 2 sexualities??

On 30 January 2017 at 9:41 PM, Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail said:

Well, liberal or homosexual "Christians" have A Gay Bible. Thank God, Our ummah hasn't done such a vile thing... yet. May Allaah the Exalted protect us from such filth. :worried:

Don't ever say "yet". Don't even let your mindset begin to think like that brother. This filth will never happen in our religion because it is protected by Allah, and we are Muslims and we stand against deviant acts when Muslims start to go that way. 

2 hours ago, YAli said:

This filth will never happen in our religion. 

It doesn't happen among religions. It happens among people who give in to their lustful passions and ignore the teachings of their faith. And believe you me, here are heaps of gay Muslims in the world. 

1 hour ago, baqar said:

It doesn't happen among religions. It happens among people who give in to their lustful passions and ignore the teachings of their faith. And believe you me, here are heaps of gay Muslims in the world. 

Our holy  Books do not change. Still religions are not totally static. It seems to me that the oldest monotheistic religion, Judaism, has changed the most. Christian beliefs have also changed and so has Islam, but probably less than the two older. 

7 hours ago, andres said:

Still religions are not totally static.

A religion that changes is no longer the same religion.

We may think that it is the same but it is not. 

7 hours ago, andres said:

Christian beliefs have also changed and so has Islam, but probably less than the two older. 

Remember what Jesus said,"I know not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when ye shall see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the Kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. [Luke 13:27-28]

And you know who he will say that to - to Christians who will seek his intercession.

Why will he say that?

Because they thought they were Christians but they had actually departed from Christianity.    

My friend, it is obvious that if Christians introduce something which would dilute or destroy the teachings of Jesus,they are no longer Christians..

Same with Islam. If Muslims have departed from the teachings of Muhammad, they are no longer Muslims. They can call themselves Muslims but in the eyes of God, they are not Muslims.

Therefore the Christian population of the world is not 3 billion but MUCH less.

And the Muslim population of the world is not 1.5 billion but MUCH less.

Let us face it, Andres.

In the eyes of God, I may not be a Muslim and you may not be a Christian.

But we can call ourselves whatever we wish.

It has no meaning. 

We are merely deceiving ourselves.  

Edited by baqar

Sorry baqar but you are so right. It's annoyingly right, I can see it every day. It's to the point one can't know if I'm following the right path because it crosses so many others that there no longer seems to be a true path let alone the clear path we need to find. Paved highways help us forget the Prophet's journey to God was not so comfy. 

Just the other day i said to someone close to me, "Go back to when you felt yourself sane and remember what was truth."  The story of the village with the poisoned water deemed to make everyone insane. Before drinking it, it was decided that someone had to remember they all went insane. Somebody should have written it down. 

Not sure if that water was in the town of christians that dances with snakes or the colony that believes God hates everybody except them. Maybe them too. They only hurt themselves. Thinking, when the Hell's Angels block your protest maybe you should check your morals. 

One of my coaches I bumped up, while I was a coordinator wore a gaudy cross so I asked him what about it. He said "Jesus saves man!" I have seen absolutely nothing in his life to say he appreciates it, let alone has any inclination of finding out what his responsibility is. He doesn't feel he has a responsibility, Jesus saves, what more do you need to know? From what I have heard years after, he is not what he was while i was there. This concerns me because I put him there. Would like to have another talk with him but I'm nobody to anybody anymore.

The Bible hasn't changed, The Quran hasn't changed, the truth hasn't changed, the excuses don't cut it.

The definition of political correctness includes the possibility of picking up a piece of poop by the clean end. Society has grasped the clean end and is pretending it smells like roses. "Judge not lest you be judged" has been taken to a new challenge level as LBW/E freely prances down the street of every major city...

The new/old rule is to love the sinner, hate the sin. Seek to save the sinner from the sin. Accept that sinners exist and a tremendously small percentage will ever turn. Encourage the few, but accept that the rest is out of our hands.

There is no text says we can save them all, like there is no text gives us right to kill them all.  

Hi Baqar

I see what you mean, but reality is not that simple. Jews originally did not believe in afterlife in heaven or in hell. The idea evolved after the Torah was written and still at the beginning of Christianity, Pharisees and Saducces differed on the matter. Was their religion not still Judaism? We interpret our books different. Already Paul and James (brother if Jesus) differed and argued on the law, and Sunnies and Shias very early split up into rivalling faiths. We are still Muslims, Jews and Christians. But not quite in the same way as 1.400 or 2.000 years ago. Judaism has probably changed the most, because their environment is so different today from 2.500 years ago.