Kamaaluddeen al-Ismail

Is the United States a Christian nation?

Rate this topic

29 minutes ago, baqar said:

Yes, you are right.

Iran is fighting in Iran seemingly for a political dictator.

However, there are reasons well beyond that and need to be understood in the geo-political and socio-religious context of the ME

Anyway, I will not be defending Iran for its role but what irked me is that you seem to have a beef against Iran, which I find quite unjustified.

There are many countries in the ME fighting wars. Yet you rarely, if ever, mention them. 

A big coalition of countries led by Saudi Arabia is fighting poverty-stricken Yemen, which no sane person can defend.

In the coalition are a whole swag of wealthy  nations - Qatar, Emirates and others such as Jordan.

And the coalition which is in morally the wrong, if not politically, because Yemen is a powerless country, is being fully supported by the US and its allies.

I am not familiar with the expression "beef", but I am rather certain I have guessed what it means. I have a good impression of Iranians, but a bad impression of its small ruling class. However I believe the young Iranian generation will demand and succed to implement democrasy. Iran should have all possibilities to become a successful free nation.

6 hours ago, andres said:

Not Quite. Homosexuality is (one of many) sins of which the Old Testament demands stoning to death. In the New Testament Pauls opinion is that homosexuals do not enter heaven. Personally I do not believe he is right. 

If that is what you really believe then you, sir, are not a real Christian in any way or form.

7 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

If that is what you really believe then you, sir, are not a real Christian in any way or form.

Why? Must a Christian believe that the Bible is the infaliible word of God? 

Do you believe all homo couples will go to hell? 

Do you believe all homo couples shall be stoned to death?

On 1/26/2017 at 10:36 AM, notme said:

Easter is on a Sunday, which normally isn't a school day, and Thanksgiving is a national not Christian holiday. 

There is Easter Sunday and Easter monday :)

Thanks for clearing up Thanksgiving. How come Muslims don't celebrate it?

On 1/31/2017 at 3:35 AM, andres said:

Why? Must a Christian believe that the Bible is the infaliible word of God? 

Do you believe all homo couples will go to hell? 

Do you believe all homo couples shall be stoned to death?

Well... yeah. Why would you follow a religion that has a flaw? There isn't a single thing in the Quran which has been proven false by science, which proves that everything we are doing is in God's will. 

If we don't believe that our books are right and infallible, then why follow your religion? We can all be Jewish because it's so much easier and they fast once a year on Yom Kilpur and just pray once a day. Why bother being Muslim if we're just going to end up in the same place? 

We aren't ones to decide who goes to hell or not, but what's written in our books was written by our creator who has more knowledge than you. It's a fact that hell is growing more and more each day... you can't feel sorry for everyone. 

On 1/30/2017 at 8:15 PM, ChristianVisitor said:

Well he's Christian as long as he believes in God and Jesus as his messenger. You can't say that a women is not Shia just because she doesn't wear a hijab. Doing something haram is doing something wrong but it doesn't change your fate. Your beliefs are one thing and your actions are another. @andres hope you don't feel attacked on being called a non-Christian.  

I don't think anyone can be called a "true Christian" or a "true Muslim" because we are human as as long as we are human we make mistakes and sin. Unless we are Prophets who have mastered patience, kindness, and strength, we aren't "true" anything. We are simply Christian and Muslims, equal in creation. 

Hi j.angel

No I do not feel attacked when somebody does not believe me to be a Christian. Some have got a very narrow definition on who is a Christian (and Muslim) and Christian visitor has got a definition that obviously does not cover me. I am very convinced the Bible and the Quran was written by men. If God had done, there would not be any errors (I know you do not agree on the behalf of the Quran). The beliefe that a book contains the perfect word of God, to be practised in all times and places, has made life difficult and caused much confrontation. At present we see lots of this within the Muslim world, but through  history, Christianity and Judaism has not been any better, if one at all can compare. 

On 1/30/2017 at 9:51 AM, aflyer said:

As @Christianlady and others have described, the US is anything but Christian.

1John 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 
1John 2:4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I rest my case. Peace to you.

Salam Aflyer,

The issue is that many people consider a nation to be of a certain religion when many people in that nation profess to be of a certain religion. However, that does not automatically make a nation of any religion.  What can make a nation religious is when the laws of that nation are deliberately religious in nature. Iran and Egypt for example are both nations where Islam is written into the laws and constitution of both countries (though their versions of Islam are different).

The Founding Fathers of the USA understood the importance of not allowing a church - whether Catholic or Protestant - to control the state. Their emphatic avoidance of mentioning any official religion is due to the turmoil of Europe for centuries, where Catholics and Protestants horribly tortured and killed each other as they alternated power control.  Not cool, and most definitely not what Jesus Christ commanded his followers to do!

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) Jesus Christ is not mentioned once in either the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, or the Bill of Rights.

And, Jesus Christ never commanded his followers to make a nation "Christian". "Christian" wasn't even a term Jesus Christ used; it didn't exist until the disciples (believers in Jesus Christ) were called it first in Antioch, according to Disciple Luke:

"The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch." - Acts 11:26c (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

On 2/3/2017 at 9:42 AM, j.angel said:

There is Easter Sunday and Easter monday :)

Thanks for clearing up Thanksgiving. How come Muslims don't celebrate it?

Not only is Thanksgiving not a Christian event it has nothing to do with religion. I have never heard of Easter Monday and I was born in and lived in the USA all my life. Furthermore while Easter is now part of "Christian" culture and is on calendars in america it really has nothing to do the teachings of Christ. It is a pagan holiday with roots in a fertility goddess, eggs and bunnies, which is now on western calendar because the Catholic church adopted and combined it with the celebration of Christs resurrection. Christ's apostles observed His resurrection in connection with Passover on the Jewish calendar and it had nothing to do with Easter in any way.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:59 AM, j.angel said:

Well he's Christian as long as he believes in God and Jesus as his messenger. You can't say that a women is not Shia just because she doesn't wear a hijab. Doing something haram is doing something wrong but it doesn't change your fate. Your beliefs are one thing and your actions are another. @andres hope you don't feel attacked on being called a non-Christian.

The scriptures are clear Christ is the Son of God (Mat 16:14-17) not just a messenger or prophet. If you believe the scriptures are wrong that is one thing but I would not have you be ignorant about this.

I agree completely, @Christianlady.

17 hours ago, Christianlady said:

And, Jesus Christ never commanded his followers to make a nation "Christian". "Christian" wasn't even a term Jesus Christ used; it didn't exist until the disciples (believers in Jesus Christ) were called it first in Antioch, according to Disciple Luke:

I think a lot of professed Christians today in the US do not know this. A lot of people have the mindset that we should create a Christian nation or lead some political revolution. However there is no record I know of for which Christ was concerned about governments or politics. He said go and make disciples and I think a lot of people have added on to that definition.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:36 AM, aflyer said:

The scriptures are clear Christ is the Son of God

When I talked to a Christian they said this is because Jesus would perform miracles that no other human could do which means that he was not a human, and in fact a "piece" of God (or God as a human.... something like that). I mean I guess they have a point, we just describe them as "humans with super powers" but I can imagine myself as a Christian not doubting that Jesus had a portion of God because he did infact do things no human could do.

What is the Muslim view of this? What do we call prophets who could perform miracles....humans with powers? 

I guess that makes sense. Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus as a virgin and she isn't the daughter of God. 

On 2/6/2017 at 9:36 AM, aflyer said:

The scriptures are clear Christ is the Son of God

When I talked to a Christian they said this is because Jesus would perform miracles that no other human could do which means that he was not a human, and in fact a "piece" of God (or God as a human.... something like that). I mean I guess they have a point, we just describe them as "humans with super powers" but I can imagine myself as a Christian not doubting that Jesus had a portion of God because he did infact do things no human could do.

What is the Muslim view of this? What do we call prophets who could perform miracles....humans with powers? 

I guess that makes sense. Virgin Mary gave birth to Jesus as a virgin and she isn't the daughter of God.